MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Patch just the drive bands of bore rider?

Boolit Mold

Patch just the drive bands of bore rider?

I have seen some pictures of bullets with paper just over the drive bands on what apears to be a bore rider bullet.
    When I patch and then size, lee 312-185, in my smle, it is hard to close the bolt, I thing the wrap on the nose portion is wider than the throat.
    Could I just wrap just past the drive band, without leading either from the nose ouch it the lands, or the bullet slipping the patch?
    The sizing to 314 seems to really get the patch on there right, probably right into the lube groove.

Boolit Grand Master

Not saying it can't be done successfully but it didn't work for me.

I tried making "half jacket" boolits for my No. 4 Lee Enfield but accuracy was poor.

I don't recall which boolit I used for sure but IIRC Lyman 31141. Whichever design it was was patched to groove diameter over driving bands and land riding nose left bare.

Accuracy was so dismal I didn't pursue it past one try. My thought was that when the fairly abrupt edge of the patch met the rifling the patch was damaged or stripped where wrapping up the tapered ogive gives it a squeeze. True or not I don't know. Seems to me I posted those results several years ago.

Can you seat your boolits a little deeper to allow easier chambering?

Not a lot of help...

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 08-12-2021 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Mold
    Interesting. If ‘half jacket’ doesn’t work, I will switch to a bullet with a longer ogive. I have a lee 312-155 which is pointer, and I also have a lee 309-230, which should still work for paper patch, and I also want to try powder coating up to 314, and shoot subsonic over trail boss.
    For riffle speed my powder is Imr 4895

Boolit Master

jessegreenwood:

If you try the Lee 309-230 paper patched; let us know how it works out. I have patched about 20 of that boolit and they are sitting in a tray ready to load. Not in a rush since we are in a stage 2 fire notice and the powers that bee have shut down both of the Rifle Ranges I belong to. No shooting until somewhere in the 1 September to 1 October range when they decide to lift the "No Shooting" restrictions at the ranges.

Be interesting to see your results.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

It seems to work in relatively low pressure rounds. I use the NOE copy of the NRA PP bullet in all my 30 caliber rifles, and with full loads in the 30-06 I have to patch to the nose or it doesn't work. But in the 30-30 I can leave half of it unpatched and it still shoots fine. I think that as long you're not generating enough pressure to upset the nose into the grooves it works. Or at least that's my guess. The original NRA papers showed them using more or less patch to fit the particular rifle being used, even in a 300 win mag. But I have never been able to duplicate what they did either.

Boolit Mold
    On the topic of the 309-230, I was wondering how best to extrapolate load data from published jacketed data.
    The book I have has 220 in 30-40 krag, which I though would be a pretty good analog, because a) 30-40 is nearly identical, but slightly less pressure than 303, and b) paper patch, from what I have read, gives slightly higher velocity at slightly lower pressure. So I think those should make up for the 10 grain more weight, this would give me a upper load with 38 grains imr 4895, at 2100 FPS.
    Let me know if this should be another tread for that discussion.

Boolit Master

jessegreenwood:

concerning extrapolating load data for the heavies like the Lee 309-230 - I would refer you to the manual Modern Reloading - 1st Edition - by Richard Lee. A digital copy is on line at: https://archive.org/details/Modern_R...by_Richard_Lee

Page 321 is on 308 Winchester heavies. GO up or down in the pdf for other cartridges. in that range.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold
    That is a really cool resource.
    However, it does not have heavier than 215 for 303 or 220 for 30-40, and neither has imr 4895 as a powder. I have load data for 30-40 220 grain, with imr 4895, in my Sierra reloading book, which is what I was asking about as a starting point.

Boolit Master
    My observation from shooting 1/2 jacketed pp bullets is that it worked o.k. to normal gas check 1800 fps loads in the 30-30 using a bhn of 12 maybe.
    It wasn’t soft 8-9 lead anyway.
    Pressure is less than j word so the faster powder listed usually burnt better.

I rubbed the nose and patch with Alex but found the patch was sticking to the inside of the case neck sometimes.
    A case full of slow powder works and can give good accuracy but all those unburnt kernals in the bore worried me.

Now a case full of the appropriate powder and light pp bullet and you can have a blast and be one of the loudest guns on the block.
    Sometimes I would send one down after a heap of mouse fart loads or milder loads just for the reaction from my shooting neighbours.
    They would pack up their noisey toys and their self appointed know all attitude and move else where muttering something about crazy ….blow himself up….or something.

Yes pp has it’s benefits.