Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Hunter Super Blackhawk Stainless Steel - Ejector Rod Housing Screw sheered off.

Boolit Master
    CALL RUGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And when you do, be polite,, and discuss the issues of shipping from Canada,, etc. It's very likely they will cover the costs.

Bill Ruger discussed a warranty decades ago with his lawyers. He found that by offering a written warranty was more costly than just being a good company & fixing things. So,, no WRITTEN warranty. But they do stand behind their products,, and fix stuff RIGHT!

If you screw it up trying to repair it yourself,, then they are a bit less sympathetic towards the costs of repairs.

CALL RUGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Many of you missed the item about the OP living in Canada.

There is NO Ruger plant in Canada. There's a distributor who also handles warranty issues.

It would be VERY hard to bring the revolver to the US and then take it back to Canada.

It really pays to READ EVERY POST.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Have Ruger fix it. Pulling small stuck screws can be difficult. If you do drill and try an easy out use the smallest one you can. Drilling the hole too close to the threads will make the walls of the broke off piece so thin that the easy out will expand the screw and lock it even tighter than it was. If you can't get it to Ruger, Take it to someone that has one of those machines that electronicly burns out the screw.

Boolit Buddy
    I contacted Ruger Repairs by email in Montreal/Canada. Company respondent almost immediately which is good but also said Sorry no Warranty because of 16 year old Gun and circumstances. I bought this Gun New and this Revolver is in near new condition, certainly no more then 1000 Rounds trough it, but Fair enough.

Fellow said they see this problem from time to time Would cost 250.**+ of which 150.** or so would be the Shipping/insurance portion both ways. Yep we are in Canada that is what mailing things can cost here.

Replacement Screws are available so I ordered 2.

Would prefer to use a good Gunsmith but I think I have more time then he to setup the Milling Machine so I will try to get the remaining Stut out myself.
    Plan is First flatten the Stut Surface with 1/8" endmil with Barrel precisely set up firmly in Mill Vice. Then milling a 1/16" elongated hole Hole into Stut which would allow me to use a flathead Screwdiver to firmly insert and turn. Should work because the remaining Stut is hardly longer then 1/8" I am guessing. I don't want to use a easy out because Easy out could expand the Stut making it even harder to turn.

Will take my time to set up but could use all the Luck I can get.

Boolit Master
    That is probably the best way to go at this. After milling the top flat, use a small flat punch and a small (3 or 4 oz hammer) to tap gently on the end of the screw several times. This can help loosen the screw. If the screw doesn't come out easily,use the small hammer on the end of the screw driver to add shock to the screw while turning. No handle on the screw driver helps add shock. Usually a sheared off screw isn't stuck badly if it wasn't bottomed out when installed or lock tight was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard96 View Post

I contacted Ruger Repairs by email in Montreal/Canada.

Company respondent almost immediately which is good but also said Sorry no Warranty because of 16 year old Gun and circumstances.

It sounds like the Canada repair center may be a non-Ruger entity that contracts for Ruger repairs....

You might want to consider making a call directly to Ruger CS in the US to see what they have to say.

It also might be a Canada thing, because my 1960 (60+ years old) cost me the bubble, including shipping (Ruger CS sent me a prepaid shipping label), to repair my .22 magnum only Single Six RSSM cylinder chamber issue ( 2 of the chambers did not accept ammo the full depth, and empties had to be pounded out after removing the cylinder).

I called to see if I could send just the cylinder, but the CSR told me to send the entire gun,

I got my gun back 2 weeks later - Ruger had replaced the magnum cylinder, fitted/installed a LR cylinder numbered to the gun, and returned the original magnum cylinder with a "unserviceable" tag tied to it.

So now I have a factory-original 3-cylinder gun ! ( along with an enclosed letter & N/C invoice to prove it)

I was so happy, that I made a new bed for it to sleep in between outings:

Last edited by pietro; 08-14-2021 at 09:47 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Nope,
    cant say I have left hand Drill bits on Hand, never used any. If it comes to it that I have to Buy some, which ones are recommend drilling into the remains of the Stainless Steel Stut ?

Cheers
    I think my set is Horrible Freight. Just used them a couple times for "rough service" like this.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    That is probably the best way to go at this. After milling the top flat, use a small flat punch and a small (3 or 4 oz hammer) to tap gently on the end of the screw several times. This can help loosen the screw. If the screw doesn't come out easily,use the small hammer on the end of the screw driver to add shock to the screw while turning. No handle on the screw driver helps add shock. Usually a sheared off screw isn't stuck badly if it wasn't bottomed out when installed or lock tight was used.
    That is exactly what my Son in Law recommend and I always consider his advice carefully since he is a gifted red Seal Machinist.
    Thank'

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    It sounds like the Canada repair center may be a non-Ruger entity that contracts for Ruger repairs....

You might want to consider making a call directly to Ruger CS in the US to see what they have to say.

It also might be a Canada thing, because my 1960 (60+ years old) cost me the bubble, including shipping (Ruger CS sent me a prepaid shipping label), to repair my .22 magnum only Single Six RSSM cylinder chamber issue ( 2 of the chambers did not accept ammo the full depth, and empties had to be pounded out after removing the cylinder).

I called to see if I could sent just the cylinder, but the CSR told me to send the entire gun,

I got my gun back 2 weeks later - Ruger had replaced the magnum cylinder, fitted/installed a LR cylinder numbered to the gun, and returned the original magnum cylinder with a "unserviceable" tag tied to it.

So now I have a factory-original 3-cylinder gun ! ( along with an enclosed letter & N/C invoice to prove it)

I was so happy, that I made a new bed for it to sleep in between outings:

I like your advise and will try to contact Ruger in the USA before I do more then Eyeballing this thing.

Thank's

Boolit Master
    Gray beard it’s just my experienced opinion but I wouldn’t send my worse enemies gun to Snapshots. I contacted Ruger in the US and they wouldn’t do anything other than tell me to contact Snapshots. Talked to them and got nothing but babble from them. Took 3 months for a rear sight blade which I ordered 3 and 2 screws. They decide I only needed one of each.
    The same thing happened to my stainless SBH. I was able to get the broken screw out with a bit of patience doing pretty much what rbuck351 did.
    I have fat busted up mechanic fingers and if I can get a little screw like that out then I’m sure you or your machinist SIL can.
    I then ordered extra everything that Brownells was allowed to send to Canada for my Rugers so I don’t have to deal with poly Snapshots.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Gray beard it’s just my experienced opinion but I wouldn’t send my worse enemies gun to Snapshots. I contacted Ruger in the US and they wouldn’t do anything other than tell me to contact Snapshots. Talked to them and got nothing but babble from them. Took 3 months for a rear sight blade which I ordered 3 and 2 screws. They decide I only needed one of each.
    The same thing happened to my stainless SBH. I was able to get the broken screw out with a bit of patience doing pretty much what rbuck351 did.
    I have fat busted up mechanic fingers and if I can get a little screw like that out then I’m sure you or your machinist SIL can.
    I then ordered extra everything that Brownells was allowed to send to Canada for my Rugers so I don’t have to deal with poly Snapshots.
    Thank you Carrier,
    I appreciate your input. Sorry to hear your poor experience with Snapshot, unfortunately this is too often the case here in Canada that is why sites like Cast Boolits and others are so important so we can voice our Experiences and Opinion so others don't get burnt.
    As I mentioned earlier, I already asked SS to send me 2 of these Studs. I am waiting for a price all in and payment instructions. Will see how that goes Action speaks louder then Words.

Thanks again !

Boolit Master
    Good luck as this happened to me several years ago way before any of this virus crap. I know some have said they have had some issues getting things from Brownells but I have not and if needing anything that ITAR allows them to ship they are my first choice.

Boolit Buddy
    I have taken out lots of screws that have been broken off. First thing to try is to see if it has a lump on one side of the broken part in the stud. If so try using a small punch and hold the barrel in a padded vice, use the punch holding it at about a 45 degree angle try to very gently tap the screw around in a counter clockwise circle to unscrew the broken piece. Often when a screw is sheared off there is no tension on the remaining part and it will come out easily. I have even used a dental pick to unscrew them. Another way is to take an engraving tool and cut a slot on the broken piece, then a screwdriver can remove it. On drilling the broken off piece, use a small 1/16 inch drill in the center then use the easy-out to turn it out backwards. the toolman.

Chances are the broken thread part is quite lose in the hole. Once you start any right-hand drill or milling, the part will bottom out in the hole.
    I would try unscrewing the broken part with a couple of needles or similar pointed objects before going the drill way. This works surprisingly well.
    (I have removed many tiny screws this way from mill tools with carbide inserts)

As someone suggested, a left-hand drill will often unscrew the part when it engages. You kan easily make your own left-hand spade drill from a normal drill
    - a homemade triangular point drill without any flutes may also be enough.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    The last two posts are good advice. I have had several i could unscrew with my fingers.

Boolit Buddy
    Yesterday I emailed Ruger CEO Chris Killog in the US directly making him aware of the Situation and asked if Ruger could do better.

This morning "Snapshot" of Montreal emailed me stating Stut is presently out of Stock, will see what develops !

I keep you Guys posted !

Cheers

Boolit Master

I get about 1 a year with this problem. Last customer said it had come loose many times and asked me to do something about it. I silver soldered a small piece to the barrel that the ejector housing could butt up against. No more screw braking.. If Ruger won't help then it's time to invest in a left hand drill. Most of the time they will come right out. Some of the screws are a ni-lock type on Rugers, a little plastic to try and keep them from coming loose.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I get about 1 a year with this problem. Last customer said it had come loose many times and asked me to do something about it. I silver soldered a small piece to the barrel that the ejector housing could butt up against. No more screw braking.. If Ruger won't help then it's time to invest in a left hand drill. Most of the time they will come right out. Some of the screws are a ni-lock type on Rugers, a little plastic to try and keep them from coming loose.
    Since I am already made aware off by the Ruger repair People at "Snapshot" and others that the breaking off of the Stut seems to be "common", I appreciate your Idea of installing a small Lug butting up against the Extractor Housing to take preassure of the Stut. Defenitely something to consider.
    Meanwhile, as much I love the Lock and Feel of this Revolver, I have come to the conclusion that this Revolver is really not well suited against a charge by a Grizzly Bear which is very real in the area where I work alone and unfortunately cant carry a Rifle or Shotgun. The reloading of this SA Revolver after 6 rounds fired is just to cumbersome.
    Next chance I get, I like to have a look at a DA Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk again in .44 Rem. Mag. perhaps they are a better choice.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Yesterday I emailed Ruger CEO Chris Killog in the US directly making him aware of the Situation and asked if Ruger could do better.

This morning "Snapshot" of Montreal emailed me stating Stut is presently out of Stock, will see what develops !

I keep you Guys posted !

Cheers
    Update on the above,
    Seems like my email to CEO Chris Killog got redirected to Ruger Customer Service. Just received a Form Letter with a Customer Service Issue # and quote "please contact our Canadian repair center for assistance" end of quote. So much for that !

Cheers

Boolit Master

Homeland security changed the law after 9-11 and I can't send any gun parts to Canada. Got in a bit of trouble when a customer sent a rifle down. He had checked with ATF and the State dept. and they said no problem on shipping it to me but they didn't tell him I couldn't send it back. I got in all kind of trouble for trying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast