Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Am I the only one that enjoys casting bullets.

Vendor Sponsor

I enjoy casting as long as the mold cooperates. Usually do it early in the cool/cold mornings
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I've only been casting for a few years now but I do find it relaxing if the mold is working for me and I'm dropping good boolits. It's mostly a cold weather hobby for me though.

I love casting boolits hot or cold outside doesn't matter as long as it isn't windy and raining. I have a covered area that i cast in and if its windy and raining not good. I don't like the Tinsel ferry.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Have always enjoyed casting bullets accept in really hot weather. Am I the only one?
    Not at all.
    I like to do long manic runs of casting and do 2000 or more at a pop.
    I use mostly 4 and 6 cavity H&G moulds and can do those over a few nights of good hard work.
    Then the sizing/lubing. Another pleasant activity.
    The the reloading on Dillon 550.
    When you are all said and done, you have a couple of ammo cans full of 9mm, 44, or 38 or whatever. Inventory for a year or two.
    Rinse, repeat.
    A job well done gives the ultimate - the satisfaction of well made ammo from scratch.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I’m scared. Lead level went 19 dl/ml. No covered outdoor space either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    I’m scared. Lead level went 19 dl/ml. No covered outdoor space either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Read this and there are several others that help clean heavy metals from your blood.

http://www.herballegacy.com/Motteshard_Medicinal.html

Do a search as this topic has been discussed before with lots of suggestions to keep from getting high lead also how to treat it. 19 is not crazy high but I’d change my habits when casting.

Mike

Boolit Master

I love casting. Just can't wait to see the first good filled-out boolits come out of a new mold.

In the casting, reloading, shooting process, the only thing I really dislike is.....Trimming cases!

I just detest trimming and deburring cases.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I love casting. Just can't wait to see the first good filled-out boolits come out of a new mold.

In the casting, reloading, shooting process, the only thing I really dislike is.....Trimming cases!

I just detest trimming and deburring cases.
    I love to cast, HATE the setup and teardown. About 30-40minutes each.

I now enjoy trimming cases. I use the Lyman Powered case trimmer with the Case Prep Express behind it, it goes fast and smooth.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I love to cast. Can't help my self. Am a little spoiled in that my casting/reloading area is in my basement workshop with woodstove, air conditioner, draft beer keezer and humidor (for afterwards) and I can raise the garage doors when the weather is good.
    Reloading is enjoyable for big bore rifle, one at a time is my happy place for doing so. I find that loading on my progressive is boring and monotonous, but trying to load 9mm or 45acp on a rock chucker will drive you nuts.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

Upon further consideration as a newbie I do thoroughly enjoy casting and the challenge of fingering it out, but I then I almost always like learning/doing new hands-on skills. At some point, assuming I do actually finger this all out, I may need to adjust my like-o-meter....
    Last edited by oley55; 11-14-2021 at 06:20 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I too enjoy casting. The sizing gets to be tiresome if I goof up the pressure screw on my RCBS sizer. It seems casting in my basement with a kitchen hood with exhaust fan works ok for the quantities I need. What I find tiresome is melting down scrap wheel weights on the turkey cooker in a cast iron pot. Back gets sore being bent over so long (68yr old back) and the wait for perfect weather to do it, no wind, cool, and sunshine. Glad that is a once every few years operation.

Boolit Bub
    Right now with so cal weather in chino I have been casting a bunch of MP-130 and Lee 312-155. At 60 degrees my molds don’t even overheat. Of course I’m alternating between the 2 molds

Have been very blessed over the last,durn near 50 years of casting.... with some awe inspiring casting setups. Got kicked out of the last digs by finishing the last upstairs rooms. That setup was REAL easy,powered vents and lots of room.

Setup now(have posted pics) is a 5 drawer Cman lower,roll around tool chest. Bought dented,so broke out the Martin hammers/dollies and got'r better than new. With custom mixed Lyman orange paint. Throw in some nice gauge metal,folding wind shields..... it's a durn nice setup.

Roll it out on the porch in nice weather,plug the whole thing up,to include pretty fancy mould oven. Give it 20 minutes doing some chores and then plop down in an old wicker rocking chair and cast for an hr or two. My Dobe just out of the "danger area" laying on the porch just begging for something to go chase,haha.

In the winter,the crafted sheet metal "stack" that serves as a chimney over pot.... this has an inline ductfan mounted and can be used on or off... even off,the hot air and fumes get sucked up. Turn on when fluxing,or when there's a breeze,it helps with the environment "bubble",over the pot. Tiny bit complex but easy to do. But in winter,the chimney connects with a big furnace indoors. It hooks to the damper and with a small to medium burn (huge oil/wood combination furnace) it pulls like a freight train. Just sayin,don't need to turn on duct fan,haha.

I don't cast a whole lot in advance,preferred number is usually around 2-300. And sometimes much less,around 50. Would say,it takes maybe 5 minutes of setup,and not quite that for putting things away after it's all cooled down. Just durn relaxing if you axt me?

Boolit Master
    I enjoy casting but I don't do marathon secessions. I cast 200 to 400 and then do some other loading duty such as case prep or loading test rounds. I enjoy most parts of reloading. I don't even mind case trimming. I use lee case trimmers in a mini lathe which goes fairly fast.

This is all very interesting. Been casting some Lee .314 90gr for a cousin. Cast maybe 50-100 then powder coat them for him.
    Each casting session I try to run at least 100. then powder with a different color. That way he can weight each color if he wishes to see if anything has changed if I added new WW etc.

Boolit Master

I love to cast. The one thing I miss the most is; 30 years ago I could cast 2000 and 2500 bullets in a weekend unfortunately now only about 500. But it's still fun.

Boolit Master

Casting, reloading, shooting. I’ve never been able to decide which I like best! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I love to cast. The one thing I miss the most is; 30 years ago I could cast 2000 and 2500 bullets in a weekend unfortunately now only about 500. But it's still fun.
    I agree, now that I am 71 sessions or shorter. Most of the time 100-150 is my limit for one day. I wait a day are so and then do some more. This getting old is not always fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Living here in the desert SW, the weather is almost perfect every day to cast. Summer heat is mitigated by a large evap cooler outside my casting cabin. In the winter I just put on more layers.

And I do enjoy casting and loading far more than actually shooting the things. I have enough lead, alloys, brass, and powder to last 2 lifetimes. Primers are the only worry. Down to only 10,000 at last count!

Boolit Master
    I really enjoy casting. Waiting on good weather for it not so much.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234