Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: homeless

Mom and Dad would "Camp" in the conversion van anywhere country music was playing. Dad passed in '08, and Mom wanted to camp at the places she had a membership with.

The swimming lake was downstream from the senior home that dumped it's sewage into. Campers and tents on small campsites, rules on fires blah blah blah.

The last time she camped was in the backyard, in the van hooked up the electric, and a great firepit and 1000's of acres of Fed Land behind us.

Dementia's made her unaware of her surroundings, but she knew camping and cooking food on the ground.

I set up my Eureka TCOP 1 vestibule , it's small but usable. I haven't camped in 7 years, unless I can count sleeping in my tree house, overlooking a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
    Camping is like spending time and money to live like a homeless person!
    Years ago, someone made the observation that only wealthy people went camping unless they had to live like that.
    Poor people are too lazy to put themselves through the inconveniences of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Camping to me was a vw bus and a Coleman stove. Lots of cross country trips!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    I camped for two weeks every summer, for 8 years. Slept in a gp medium tent, along with 9 other guys. We're visiting our Uncle Sam. We did go camping as a family, in an 18ft travel trailer, when the kids were little.

Boolit Master
    For me, camping is a way to get away from the responsibilities of life for a little while. Every winter I enjoy camping a few times for a couple/three days in the snow with my son. Not a lot of snow, just enough to cover the ground, it's about a half-mile walk to get to where we set up our tarp and build a fire. A couple of days hiking in the light covering of snow with our rifles, cooking over a fire, scrounging firewood, getting cold at night, that's all part of the fun. It doesn't matter if it rains, snows, blows, freezes, or turns the woods into a wet, drippy, soggy mess. No cell phone service? Priceless!
    Worst case, if we get too miserable, we can hike another 1/2 mile to a cabin with a roof and woodstove. Haven't had to do that....yet.
    At 72 and still working at a full time job 50+ hours a week, plus teaching apprenticeship classes two evenings a week, I enjoy just being out where the most important thing to worry about in the morning is how long it'll take before the fire is hot enough to brew a pot of coffee.
    I'll have to see if I get tired of being in the woods overnight when I'm no longer working.

Boolit Grand Master

As Billy Joel sang, "when I wore a younger man’s clothes…"
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    For me, camping is a way to get away from the responsibilities of life for a little while. Every winter I enjoy camping a few times for a couple/three days in the snow with my son. Not a lot of snow, just enough to cover the ground, it's about a half-mile walk to get to where we set up our tarp and build a fire. A couple of days hiking in the light covering of snow with our rifles, cooking over a fire, scrounging firewood, getting cold at night, that's all part of the fun. It doesn't matter if it rains, snows, blows, freezes, or turns the woods into a wet, drippy, soggy mess. No cell phone service? Priceless!
    Worst case, if we get too miserable, we can hike another 1/2 mile to a cabin with a roof and woodstove. Haven't had to do that....yet.
    At 72 and still working at a full time job 50+ hours a week, plus teaching apprenticeship classes two evenings a week, I enjoy just being out where the most important thing to worry about in the morning is how long it'll take before the fire is hot enough to brew a pot of coffee.
    I'll have to see if I get tired of being in the woods overnight when I'm no longer working.
    God bless you. I love hearing about folks who can still do things they love like that. Disability retirement here and wish I could still work (61 now). Can't complain, I am still better off than a lot of folks, but camping with snow on the ground would totally cripple my back/neck.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
    Camping is like spending time and money to live like a homeless person!
    Lol!! My son-in-law has talked me into camping a couple of times this year so far both near disasters. He's 21 I'm 50 his idea of fun and mine don't exactly match. First time I've been camping in almost 30 years!! I agree it's close to being homeless!

I love to backpack hunt! It entails REAL camping . I have never gotten tired of it!
    My gear is a little more high tech, and therefore lighter than it was 50 years ago!
    I am 1 1/2 months short of 70

Bob

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    After age 65 your don't need to practice how to be uncomfortable anymore.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    We don't get out as much as we used to, but when the kids were litttle we did it a lot. Had a 10' x 10' Eureka tent had the potty chair and a fold up play pen in it. Used to string a nylon tarp over the picnic table in case of rain.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

My Dad used to tell me: Only hoboes eat outdoors. And from my Uncle (Sam) I learned to really hate camping.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    About 10 years ago my wife and I would camp in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Under the stars on cots. We discovered that nobody went there in the summer because it was often 115 deg. But once the sun went below the Sierras, it was nice enough.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    I still do it, just not as often. Camping when I was a kid was just a way to play in the woods, sit by a campfire as late as we wanted, see some animals that weren't often seen in the suburbs, explore a place that's never been 'civilized.'
    As an adult I camped as a means to an end: I did a lot of hiking and the best way to get to the trails every morning was to sleep right out there among them.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I get antsy if I dont go camping a few times a year. Its something I enjoy no matter the weather...rain, heat, cold, snow...I just enjoy being outdoors away from things for days at a time.

It might make a difference that I grew up and live in the suburbs of Chicago. So any time I can get away from all the concrete and craziness is welcome. Im currently planning a 16 day road trip through Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas that we will be camping out for half of the trip. Personally I would camp for the entire time but my girlfriend likes to spend time at a resort with a pool so we usually split up time in a tent and time in a room on trips like these.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used to love camping with light gear sleeping on the ground next to a cooking fire. It felt great to wake up in the cool mornings feeling great, with a stiff you know what. Now that’s the only thing that isn’t stiff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12