Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homeless

Boolit Bub

homeless

Camping is like spending time and money to live like a homeless person!

Boolit Bub
    Amen

Boolit Master
    When getting up off the ground was easy, I really enjoyed camping.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    For me it’s been about getting away from the complications of modern life. No phone. No electricity. Cooking over the fire. Be at peace with nature.

Boolit Master

I never went camping for camping's sake, it was just a place to sleep where I went to hunt or fish. Most times, when I lived in Denver, I would just leave real early, setup a campfire by the river and fish all day, then come home at night. During hunting season, we would stay about a week, about 3 or 4 adults and a couple of us teens. Our job was to round up rabbit and fish for our meals, and every now and then we would hunt near the camp. Adults would sometimes get upset when they got back and we had an elk or black tail down, since they walked for hours stalking, while we waited until one came near camp.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    It is the type of activity that can be fun if done for a limited time and not too frequently.

If it was so great, we would not build houses, put in wells, and install septic systems.

Reminds me of the saying, "A change is as good as rest". That phrase does not work if you are eyeing a hot woman, and your wife asks what you are thinking.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
    When I was a kid, we would go camping in the High Sierra's. Dad & 2nd Mom would buy what groceries they could afford, and we'd camp until we ran out of groceries. If the fishing was good we stayed longer. If it wasn't, we left sooner. Dad had a Coleman 4-burner stove, and we'd cook stuff to go with the fish on that, and the fish usually got cooked over the campfire. It was a great time!

Last time I went camping, my wife and I, our newest daughter, and the older kids, at five and three, camped on our way to visit my Dad and 2nd Mom in Colorado. Wasn't near as fun. Son is closing on 30, now. Newest daughter is will be 24 later this month. The only other camping they've done was with Scouts or church groups when they were still kids, and they didn't find it all that much fun. And this was before they had cellphones and tablet computers. With my arthritis being what it is, and their mom's being way worse, I don't know if I'd want to go camping again. MAYBE RVing...

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    It’s been years since I’ve tent camped but wifey and I enjoy taking a weekend or more to drive somewhere new and find some state land where we can pop up for the evening. With our current set up we don’t even have to get out of the car to set up for the night. We’re spoiled now!

This was a couple weeks ago near Bennett Peak in Wyoming.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B9362F93-3B29-41D1-AB83-B79A8323119B.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	287444
    No more pretending to be homeless for us!

Banned

My wife and I love to camp, and we use a tent. However, we do get the improved site with electricity and use an inflatable mattress to sleep on. I used to go primitive but as I age we get a few of the amenities. It's still fun to get away from the hassles of urban life.

Boolit Master

Used to do tents and such , no longer rig a wall tent out of tarps , put up cots , beats the ground .

Boolit Buddy
    Wife and I used a plow up bed. We had a batter powdered inflate to inflate the air bed. Almost like being at home. Beats standing against a tree for two hours. I did this when I was 18 in forgiven countries. Two weeks of this was enough at a time. Didn't camp for years after this.
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Wife and I used a blow up bed. We had a batter powdered inflate to inflate the air bed. Almost like being at home. Beats standing against a tree for two hours. I did this when I was 18 in foreign countries. Two weeks of this was enough at a time. Didn't camp for years after this.
    Steve

Boolit Bub
    As a child and later teenager I camped a lot in a three man dome tent. I forgot where I obtained it but that thing followed me all over the country. Pretty easy to set up and it did not take up a ton of room. It finally fell apart along with some broken yellow fiberglass poles.

I have to laugh, in a way. I have a group of younger friends(I'm 56) in their mid to late thirties and even forties. Good people but their idea of camping involves huge bump out trailers. I like the European term,"caravaning" to apply to that style of camping.

Myself I now use a 16 year old 4 man Kifaru tipi. It has a little fold up woodstove to take the curse out of the morning chill. I do admit that it is a bit of a pain in the neck to set up but not too bad once it is. It does get some strange looks at times.

Funny. My friend's wife asked me ,tongue in cheek, where is the bathroom. I told her the nearest tree.

I enjoyed loading up the truck and the Canoe head off into the wilds for 2-3 days. Cooking over an open fire.
    Most of those I did not even own a tent. If a storm brewed up I'd flip the canoe, wedge it into a tree and layout bed and all the gear in the dry.
    Cut firewood and brush to put on the upwind side, downwind side had a small coffee can sized fire reachable from my sleeping bag.

Nowdays I camp in a 20' R-pod 189 with couch, TV, bathroom, queen size bed.
    And I really wish this covid crap would quit so I can go back to camping down south in the winter.

Arkansas and New Orleans beat the heck out of living in Fargo ND in Dec, Jan, Feb.

We are headed for the Gulf Coast when we dare to stir out and about again.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

We love to camp. Rugged, no utilities. The kids enjoy it. Its about being free from the world for a few days

Growing up as a kid, we were dirt poor so camping to us was sleeping under the stars. A tent or a mattress pad was pure luxury for some of our friends who were lucky enough to have them but we could point and laugh while they lugged the extra gear around.

Camping was one of our few entertainments where we could escape the watchful eyes of our parents and learn to smoke, swear and tell dirty jokes to each other. We did it all the time. Sleeping under the stars, that is.

We had some crappy cloth sleeping bags that we picked up somewhere for a song and they were okay but lumpy most of the time. You could cut the bottom out of a plastic lawn leaf bag and then put two of them over the sleeping bag to make it "waterproof" and a whole lot warmer as it would trap your body heat very nicely.

The last time I went camping was probably 10+ years ago. Put an air mattress in the back of the truck and slept well enough, again, looking at the stars above. It wasn't bad. I remembered just how much work it is to go camping and while I don't mind the effort so much, it's very nice to get back to the creature comforts.

I still have some gear and a tent so maybe, one of these days........

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Used to do it when the boys were in Scouts. NOT anymore. Gave all our huge collection of camping carp away years ago.

It is just like living like a homeless person. Not for me any longer.

The closest thing I will do to camping is a air conditioned bungalow in the wood with running water, sewer, electricity and all the stuff I am used to.

For me today "roughing it" is no cell service!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
    It depends how old you are. I did a lot into midlife, now I wouldn’t get too excited about it, at least not sleeping on the ground as I always did, even in the snow. Now an RV with a nice very remote place to park it, might get my attention.

PS: As you get older, the more spirits you bring along, the softer the ground gets.

Boolit Buddy
    I love to camp for a few days, but only alone and the most desolate places I can find.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master

Thinking about it now, camping was simply a place to stay when we went Hunting, Fishing and Shooting.
    Kinda wish I could go now, just for the peace and quiet.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast