Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Replacement decap spindle for Pacific dies....

Replacement decap spindle for Pacific dies....

The decap spindle on my Durachrome 30-30 dies is bent just above the expander ball.

Anyone have a source for a replacement spindle?

Lesson learned... don't let others borrow your dies.

If you could post photos and dimensions, I or someone else may have some thing that will work.

Photos of both spindle and die would help.

I've got a coffee can of old weird dies that are too good to throw out but I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with them.

There might be another old geezer or three on this website that are in the same boat.

Boolit Master
    I don't have any spares but if you can't find one try calling Hornady.

Boolit Grand Master

If Hornady doesn't pan out try CH4D , I believe Pacific and CH dies are of the same design and CH4D sells the expander rods , nuts, expander ball , pins and etc. as replacement parts .
    I don't remember exactly what the Pacific Durachrome decap rod looks like but I believe it's like the CH4D . www.ch4d.com
    I like their new site , wish they had more pictures .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    You need to know the length and thread size, where it screws into the die body. There is no standardization between die brands, but other brands can be located that will work.

Boolit Master
    IF you're good at that sort of stuff, a bent stem can be straightened in a bench vise.

Thanks for the help...

I emailed Hornady and they don't have spare parts. I'll try CH4D this afternoon.

I'm a bit hesitant to chuck it in the vise and try to tweak it back straight.

Found the bent rod after trying to resize a few cases and the necks came out lop sided... Might work if I had a krummlauf barrel on my Winchester to shoot a whitetail while hiding behind a tree.

Boolit Buddy
    If not straight now you cannot really hurt the stem too much. Use a vise and go slow.

Boolit Master

I have found that CH4D can just about supple anything your need; within reason. Call is best as Dave will need to ask a couple of questions about the type of thread and size of stem. He has supplied me several parts in the past that fit other presses and dies. james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 55BoysATR View Post
    I'm a bit hesitant to chuck it in the vise and try to tweak it back straight.
    It's fairly easy to do if you know how but if you aren't accustomed to doing things like that don't even try the vise, it would drive you nuts.

Boolit Master

I just checked my old 30-30 Pacific dies. The stem thread is 10-32, and the bushing that goes into the die is 3/8-24.

Boolit Master

The Hornady zip spindle kit will fit your durachrome dies. I added one to my 30-06 set.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have found that CH4D can just about supple anything your need; within reason. Call is best as Dave will need to ask a couple of questions about the type of thread and size of stem. He has supplied me several parts in the past that fit other presses and dies. james
    I can second that , Dave's the Best ... He has helped me get parts to get 3 different presses up and running ... I know he lost money dealing with me ... but I think CH4D dies are the best .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    I just checked my old 30-30 Pacific dies. The stem thread is 10-32, and the bushing that goes into the die is 3/8-24.
    Your local hardware store may have what you need, my local store has 10-32x6" long threaded rod. I just picked up a piece for a Pacific die I have with a bent stem.

I have not had good luck bending decap spindles back straight. I've had several break off over the years.

Hillman is the brand, in the little cardboard boxes, check for straightness, out of the dozen that were in inventory, only 1 was truly straight and 2 more marginally acceptable. No sense in starting with a crooked spindle before you have a chance to screw it up.

I don't need any help at all in the screwing things up department