Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Looking for a new lead pot and RCBS "lube a matic" ?

Looking for a new lead pot and RCBS "lube a matic" ?

I am looking to get back into casting, I have not done any for 30+ years. I am mostly looking to cast .44, .357 bullets and 12 ga slugs. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this because I am disabled and my check only goes so far, I already have one set of .44 caliber blocks and a LEE 12ga 1oz slug mold and I think I have a set of .36 round ball and .58 Minne Ball molds some where. I want a electric pot of at least 10lbs, I am going to use a dipper so I don't need a bottom pour unit, I have 120v and 240v power where I will be doing my casting so I was wondering if 240v works better or not. Where is a good place to buy lead alloy for casting? I used to get wheel weights and 25lb pure lead blocks from the NTS for free from a buddy but that time is past.
    About 20 years ago I found a RCBS Lube A Matic at a thrift store for 10$, It seem to be in pretty good shape, Is there a manual for it some where online? It seems pretty simple and I think I can figure it out but it would be nice to use it right, do I need a heater for it? I would prefer to use the harder lubes because I live in the desert out side of Las Vegas and I would like to avoid sticky bullets. It was bad enough getting all the old lube out of it. any help would be apparated

eQ
    MOLON LABE
    Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
    http://www.rememberingkelly.com/
    Ronald Reagan's Ghost in 2024

Boolit Grand Master
    For casting slugs a 10 lb pot may be small so think about that.

Best place to buy alloy in small quantities is likely on this forum in the Sell and Swap sub-forum.

Buy your melter based on price. 110V is easier to find and can be used anywhere. I do not see an advantage to 20V unless you go with pots 40lb or larger.

Heaters can be made or bought for any sizer if you pick a lube that needs one.

Welcome back to the madness.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    You can find the instructions online at: https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware.s...structions.pdf

Moderator Emeritus

My suggestion for a great ladle electric furnace is one offered by Buffalo Arms. They cast and sell many bullets poured from this model, and all speak to its most high quality. https://www.buffaloarms.com/lead-cas...-rcb99989.html
    geo

Boolit Master
    you can spend hundreds on a furnace, but me I've gotten along with the little lee production pots for decades. just last week I did a little looking and a new one is $62 from Midsouth shooting. I keep my ingot stack nearby and add it as it goes down. I cast hot when using mp brass molds, a little frosting of bullets never bothered anything. if I did giant casting sessions of 1000 or 1000's of bullets at a time I would get something bigger, but I don't, I do about a spinach can full at a time.
    now a lubramatic or Lyman 4500-- for me are a must- but I don't powder coat- the old Lyman 4500 still going strong after lube sizing at least 10,000 bullets.

as far as where to find lead-- if you can find a scrap yard that will sell to you at reasonable price--its one stop shopping.
    I like others here have found in many places, from roadside at highway exits for wheel weights, to friends, tire shops, thrift shops, old hardware and plumbing supply stores, old print shops, newspapers, medical places that use radioactive stuff, roofers, and what sources have I missed- oh yeah, boat yards for old sailboat keels, the local dump?
    Last edited by farmbif; 08-11-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Master

earthquake, you want a 20# pot, not a 10 pounder. Why? As already noted, slugs gobble up lead at an alarming rate, refilling and waiting for the lead to come to casting temp is wasted time. The 20 pounder will serve you much better.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub
    MidSouth has all of the Lee pots on sale right now.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...A%20In%20Stock

If I did the copy correctly it is a direct link to the 20lb Lee pot on sale at MidSouth normally 79.19 on sale for 74.29 Any savings is a saving. But even with out the savings that is not a bad price for a 20lb pot

Banned
    20# dipper pot for $57.12 https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...elter-110-volt

The only weak point is the thermostat. I'd recommend either buying a PID from HATCH or make one yourself. That way when you decide you want another pot ie. bottom pour you already have a PID.

I (Like many people) started by dipper pouring. I quickly upgraded to a lee 4-20. Shortly after that added a DIY PID to it. The 4-20 served me well for tons of lead until I was made an offer I couldn't refuse on an old RCBS Pro Melt. I much prefer the RCBS handle design and the thicker spout doesn't freeze up as often, the only small downside is it takes longer to come to temperature.

Thanks guys this helps, I am looking for a 240gn .44 Keith design mold too. What would be a good mold? the only .44 mold I have right now is a set of NEI [I think] 335gn FP J D Jones blocks, I am also looking for a 158GN SWC in .357 caliber, Does any body make a set of blocks that will drop a bullet .455" for my Webley that I can load in .45 Auto rim cases? I really don't care what bullet shape.

eQ
    MOLON LABE
    Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
    http://www.rememberingkelly.com/
    Ronald Reagan's Ghost in 2024

Boolit Master

Most Webleys don't need .455 bullets. Slug your bore and see what yours needs.

Boolit Grand Master

You a dipper ... get a Lee Magnum Melter 20 # pot . Not expensive , usually around 60 dollars , keep an eye out for a sale . I used 5 and 10 # pots for years ... the 20# pot beats them like runaway red headed step children ... I wish I had bought one 30 years ago. Worth every penny ...
    My wife keeps telling me size is everything ... and she's right !!!

If that 20# Magnum Melter is still on sale at Midway for 57.00 , jump on it right now ... I paid more 7 years ago for mine .
    It cost 59.00 from Midway then .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I think I have like 4 Keith design 44 molds and I think the best is mp-mold h &g 503 clone
    as far as a 38 -357 mold, one of my favorites is the 358156

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Magnum melters are great for dipping. And very economical too.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Molds? Right now it is tough to find anything in stock.

Ladle? I like the RCBS ladle, to paraphrase Dean Grinnell, it has a fin on the bottom to clear a spot to dip from. it is usually very close in cost to the Lyman.

Pot? Get the Lee Magnum Melter. Try it stock before you go spending extra money on a PID. Titan Reloading had them in stock a few days ago for $57. something. Mine (110V) works fine.

Lubes? Don't know about the hard ones, but my Lubamatic works fine with home made FWFL. It is a bit soft and sticky, but I have never had any leading with it using air cooled wheel weights. Can't say that about the hard crayon lubes used on commercial bullets.

Welcome back to the addiction,

Robert

Boolit Master
    This is the 503 clone from MP. You can ask to be emailed the next time it runs. It's popular.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...lid-6-cav-alu/

Arsenal Molds also makes one but some say they are overloaded, not responding.

I have one of each, both good molds. I prefer aluminum for that particular design.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.