Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing That Baked On Grease

Removing That Baked On Grease

Received a beautiful .44 hollow base mold

that seems to have never been degreased and never cleaned. There are areas of burned on grease to be removed. I've been soaking it and performing some gentle physical removal. Certainly none of that wire wheel cleaning that some ebay sellers seem to love. Any how, this is as bad as I've ever seen for baked on hydrocarbons. And it got me to wondering about best things to soak in. What do you fellas use?

Boolit Grand Master
    I tend to use spray on brake cleaner first. Scrub with a paper towel.

If that doesn't work after a couple of tries, then I move on to harsher methods.

Robert

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I suppose if you got it appropriately hot to cast and wiped it with an 2 cycle oily cotton rag, lot of that stuff will just come off. If that fails to work you're not really any worse off.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Both excellent ideas gents.
    The only other thought I came up with was total degreasing, then placing in boiling hot water to achieve water penetration beneath the tight scale and then into a sandwich bag and into the deep freeze to let the thrust of the expanding ice push from beneath it... which would achieve nothing more than I could by hand in the same amount of time.

Not to worry, slow but steady wins the race be it for golden apples or iron blocks.

Banned
    try 50/50 acetone/atf let it sit several days. It will work its way under the grease

Boolit Buddy
    I drop molds in my ultrasonic cleaner with some dish soap and Simple Green.

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I drop molds in my ultrasonic cleaner with some dish soap and Simple Green.
    Simple Green is acidic, might want to be careful with aluminum molds. I etched my motorcycle engine case with it once.
    I would think oven cleaner would work well for the really baked on stuff.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

I got several Lee aluminum moulds clean of heavy baked on grease , used as mould lube and sprayed heavily with "Drop-Out" mould release , they were realy gunked up , with long soakings in Acetone or Lacquer Thinner and gentle scrubbing with a stiff old tooth brush , Oral-B will not melt . Keep soaking and scrubbing , may take two or three times ...Acetone is the best remover .
    I finally got them all clean but will never use beeswax as mould lube or Drop-Out spray mould release , those things get baked on and are the devil to get off .
    Good Luck
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I got several Lee aluminum moulds clean of heavy baked on grease , used as mould lube and sprayed heavily with "Drop-Out" mould release , they were realy gunked up , with long soakings in Acetone or Lacquer Thinner and gentle scrubbing with a stiff old tooth brush , Oral-B will not melt . Keep soaking and scrubbing , may take two or three times ...Acetone is the best remover .
    I finally got them all clean but will never use beeswax as mould lube or Drop-Out spray mould release , those things get baked on and are the devil to get off .
    Good Luck
    Gary
    Make sure to use a medium firmness toothbrush. The soft or extra soft ones just won’t cut it.

Thanks fellas. I'm'a still getting her cleaned up.
    The end of this story is liable to be expensive with things to use the mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Simple Green is acidic, might want to be careful with aluminum molds. I etched my motorcycle engine case with it once.
    I would think oven cleaner would work well for the really baked on stuff.
    Oven cleaner is super alkaline, it will melt your skin off if you're not careful. I don't mess with that stuff unless I absolutely have to.

Moderator Emeritus

Drain cleaner that is 100% Lye...diluted of course.
    That's what is used to soak cast Iron fry pans in, to clean the decades of burnt grease/carbon off of them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Oven cleaner is super alkaline, it will melt your skin off if you're not careful. I don't mess with that stuff unless I absolutely have to.
    It's great for chainsaw chain. It's lye, I was thinking it might work, just be careful. The scary melt your skin stuff in a kitchen is protein inhibitor.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Were it I, I would go with Conditor on this one. I would remove the mold from the handles, put it in an acetone resistant container like a pint paint can, cover it with my ATF/Acetone mixture, close the lid and let it sit for at least 24 hours, preferable 2-4 days, then scrub it with a toothbrush outdoors while wearing protective gloves and eye gear. That should take care of the problem. Then I'd boil the mold for 15-20 minutes in a pot with a splash of Dawn dish washing liquid with the expectation that my clean mold when dry would yield the best boolits it was capable of.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    It's great for chainsaw chain. It's lye, I was thinking it might work, just be careful. The scary melt your skin stuff in a kitchen is protein inhibitor.
    Works great on two stroke pistons, power valves, and heads also. Been using it for years on my mx bikes when top end time comes around. I use Carbon Off brand;
    This;
    https://rapidswholesale.com/carbon-o...B%20AOV%20Tier
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    try 50/50 acetone/atf let it sit several days. It will work its way under the grease
    ^^^^ This! ^^^^
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I've been cleaning some very badly treated moulds by cleaning with brake fluid, not cleaner, the fluid used in the brake system.
    Also bought some 3" & 4" brass, not brass coated steel, bench grinder wire wheels for brushing.
    Was going to use a carding wheel I have but brass bench grinder wheels are great.
    May leave a brassy looking tint on surface, but ballistol takes that off and protects as well.
    If in doubt of brake fluid cleaning ability, remember the warning about not getting it on painted surfaces-ie car finish.
    YMMV

Thanks for all the input.

Boolit Master
    I wanna be sure: ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I wanna be sure: ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid?
    ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone 50/50 beat every other rustbuster/penetrating oil in tests by major players every time. Not sure how it works on grease.

To keep the acetone from evaporating and be able to spray I keep it in one of these. Holds pressure for years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprayer.jpg  
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-23-2021 at 10:23 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast