Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: 380 pistol shotshell loads

Boolit Buddy

380 pistol shotshell loads

I am attempting to create a .380 shotshell that will cycle to put a bullet in the chamber for the second shot.
    This is happening with a Ruger LCP.

What I've tested so far is:
    1.9 grains of Unique, 50-grain shot capsule( cut down to 1/2")(#9 shot), OAL = 0.90", fired but did not eject shell or cycle,
    and
    2.5 grains of Unique, 50-grain shot capsule( cut down to 1/2")(#9 shot), OAL = 0.90", fired but did not eject shell or cycle.

So far, what has happened is that I've got a single shot 380 shotgun that does not eject the spent shell.

I'm looking for a load that will do that.

Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My reason for doing this is the plethora of feral dogs(and other aggressive forest creatures) in this area. At least with a shotshell, I might slow them down enough to not get bit.

TIA

Boolit Master

You need more pressure which may be difficult to get in such a small package. Try substituting Bullseye, 700x or even Red Dot or some such. The Unique you're using is minimum for 90 grain jacketed. Or add more weight which will also prob'ly be difficult. Seemslike I tried fooling with shot in the 380 I'll see if I can find out what I did. Seems like they did eject but I'm sure wouldn't cycle another shot load. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

I'd like the info too.
    Have you weighed the cut down and filled capsule? Is it 50 grains AFTER you cut it down?
    I'm thinking more of a slower powder, HS-6, Power Pistol ...

Were you able to find #9 shot in 25 lb bags or just the 5 lb containers?

Boolit Master

Much faster powder, I use bullseye. Made some using 380 brass and a glued overcard that would cycle, but not feed with the flat front. Experimented with cutting some 223 brass to 380 loaded oal and sort of bottlenecking them with a .327 sizing die to headspace on the new "shoulder" and "crimping" an overshot by bumping it with a universal bullet seating die to give a rounded lead edge, giving much higher payload weight to help ignition and smooth feeding. Dummies feed from the mag and headspace fine, but returned the borrowed die and haven't gotten back to it.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    I'd like the info too.
    Have you weighed the cut down and filled capsule? Is it 50 grains AFTER you cut it down?
    I'm thinking more of a slower powder, HS-6, Power Pistol ...

Were you able to find #9 shot in 25 lb bags or just the 5 lb containers?
    I bought inexpensie 12 gauge shotshells with the shot sizes I wanted. Each box of 25 contains 25 ounces of shot

Boolit Master

I load 327 shot shells using #12 shot. Its much improved for shot spreads and descity. Shreds a snake head and kills quickly.
    Would be intresting to have a 380 shot lod.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I use N310 pushing #12 shot in mine.

I would not count on them against an aggressive squirrel much less a dog. They will dispatch snakes though.

Boolit Master
    For feral dogs, get something bigger caliber.The .380 I like, but rats or small squirrel or birds close up, ok.
    Get a .44 or .45 for the feral dogs,etc.
    More power in shot and powder.

Moderator Emeritus

My experience with shotshells for handguns has been focused using revolvers. A paper wad from cardstock over Bullseye; a grease wad using a Buffalo Arms Extruder; and shot obtained from a 12ga scattergun shell. I hold it together with a heavily double-crimped gas check -- 1st crimp is with a Lee Factory Crimp, followed by a roll taper. Cases generally "last" for the one and one only loading, as a btw.
    To function a semi-auto, like your Ruger LCP, I'd suggest an overall shape as if loaded with a real bullet would be in order for functioning. I've read (but never seen) where a small length of wood dowel is lathe-turned to a round-nose shape, and then seated over shot instead of the gas check I employ.
    In a recent article by Mike Venturino (Wolfe Publishing) he uses actual lead bullets over the shot (in .45 Colt) which, among other virtues, enables functioning.
    Best wishes!
    geo

The OP hasn’t been back here since November and we know pistol shot rounds would be a very bad choice to have for a dog attack but here are two different methods I have used to make 380 shot shells that cycle semiautos.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=380+shotshell

Boolit Master
    I would think such a load would just anger an adrenaline filled feral dog. I once tangled with an angry cornered feral pitbull, a 158 gold dot out of a 357 put him down with no one getting injured