Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Cast Boolit Load for 25-35 Winchester?

Boolit Master

Cast Boolit Load for 25-35 Winchester?

I'm trying to load some 25-35 Winchester cartridges for a good friend. A kind person had sent me 30 cast 117-gr boolits, there being neither cast nor jacketed projectiles available during the current insanity. I've gone back through 60 years of reloading manuals (Lyman, Speer, Hornady, Lee, loaddata.com) and have found only a few jacketed 110-gr or 117-gr loads for the 25-35. I take that back; the Lyman #42 manual lists cast loads, but only for 110-gr boolits.

The loads are for an old Winchester lever action, so I was planning on a very moderate charge. Oddly enough, the Hornady 10th edition has loads for a 117-gr jacketed. Of the powders it lists, I have H4895, Varget and a small amount (2 lbs) of IMR 4064.

Does anyone have a moderate, cast boolit load for the 25-35? I have a good selection of IMR, Alliant, Hodgdon, Ramshot, WC, and Accurate powders available.

Thank you, Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Try between 19 - 21 grs of Varget with the 117 gr. You listed that you had Varget.

Jedman

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    PM me with your email address which can accept attachments and I can send you a Fouling Shot article from year's back which has info on cast bullet loads approximating. 25-20 ballistics for small game and varmints.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a Marlin 1893 in .25-36.
    Much less modern data than the .25-35!

Hornady #8 has data for the .25-35 using the 117gr RN.
    This data is safe for most rifles as it was worked up in a M1894 Winchester.

FWIW, I found an excellent jacketed bullet load using the Hornady 110gr FTX. I use 27.5gr of CFE223. Velocity is 2,300fps. Accuracy excellent.

My cast bullet load uses a NOE .258” FNGC over 12.5gr of #2400. It roughly duplicates a 1900’s load that was a “small game”. It shoots a bit lower than the jacketed load.
    Twist rate of barrel won’t support the RCBS 120gr FNGC. (Mine casts to 127gr).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    I’ve got a Marlin 1893 in .25-36.
    Much less modern data than the .25-35!

Hornady #8 has data for the .25-35 using the 117gr RN.
    This data is safe for most rifles as it was worked up in a M1894 Winchester.

FWIW, I found an excellent jacketed bullet load using the Hornady 110gr FTX. I use 27.5gr of CFE223. Velocity is 2,300fps. Accuracy excellent.

My cast bullet load uses a NOE .258” FNGC over 12.5gr of #2400. It roughly duplicates a 1900’s load that was a “small game”. It shoots a bit lower than the jacketed load.
    Twist rate of barrel won’t support the RCBS 120gr FNGC. (Mine casts to 127gr).
    Thank you. I found the information Hornady #10. I was expecting to find it in Lyman or Speer, but neither had any listing for the 25-35.

I just sent him 5 rounds loaded with the 117-gr cast and 22.5 grains of Varget that, according to the data, should be a reasonable load. I also am keeping on the search for .257 bullets. The 110-gr Hornady Flex-tip may be the best bet. My friend isn't able to cast.

Cheers, Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

QuickLoad gives the following for a 117 gn boolit in front of 22.5 gn Varget, out of a 20" barrel.

1898 fps
    22,853 psi
    44,236 max pressure

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    Thank you. I found the information Hornady #10. I was expecting to find it in Lyman or Speer, but neither had any listing for the 25-35.

I just sent him 5 rounds loaded with the 117-gr cast and 22.5 grains of Varget that, according to the data, should be a reasonable load. I also am keeping on the search for .257 bullets. The 110-gr Hornady Flex-tip may be the best bet. My friend isn't able to cast.

Cheers, Richard

Boolit Master

Are you looking for cast or jacketed bullets?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The data card which comes with the Lee die set suggests 20 grains of 4198 with the 117 - grain Hornady roundnose, which I chronographed a bit over 2000 fps.in
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-27-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Like buying a new to me used car,...after you get it you see them everywhere. I just acquired a vintage box of Remington XLEANBORE 25-35 Winchester Express 117 gr. soft point corlokt ammo. I've never heard of that caliber before. all of the sudden there are posts popping up about them. They sure look good on the shelf in the reloading room.
    Last edited by Seeker; 08-29-2021 at 05:41 PM.