Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Trapdoors with bore gophers.

Boolit Master

Trapdoors with bore gophers.

I have a high wall in 45-70 and use Brent's bore gophers. I bought one of the great rods from Sycamore station to push them through.
    Recently I have been affected with TDS (trapdoor derangement syndrome). They are a blast to shoot, but, you guys know that.
    When I shoot the high wall I put a bucket in front of the rifle. I can push a gopher and patch down the bore from the rear. It all ends up in the bucket and gets cleaned up at home.
    With a trapdoor I can not use this method. The action keeps me from pushing with a rod from the rear. This means I have to pull the rifle off of the line to clean the bore.
    Most of you guys are smarter that me (I live in California that's how dumb I am), have you worked out a way around this problem?
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    Not saying this is the answer, but in the muzzleloading world, they have flexible plastic shafts that are popular with a lot of people. Don't know if they're flexible enough to go down a trapdoor's bore from the breech, but it could be worth trying.

Boolit Master
    there was a man shooting a trapdoor at our CBA matches that would push patches from the breach end with some kind of flexible plastic rod. I believe it was home made, but don't have a clue as to what kind of plastic it was made of, but it looked like it worked well for him.

Boolit Master
    I want to say lexan, but I can't say for sure.

Boolit Master
    Check out delrin ramrods at track of the wolf.

Delrin is the material that I recall reading about too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    BACo, treso 5/16 rod and get a.44 jag to fit the thread in the rod. This should work.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen flexible cleaning rods made from coated cable. Most were very similar to the otis system. You couldnt push thru in one stroke but 4-6" at a time would do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have seen flexible cleaning rods made from coated cable. Most were very similar to the otis system. You couldnt push thru in one stroke but 4-6" at a time would do it.
    I use a delrin rod with a formed .45 cal jag in my TD. Works fine from the breech end.

Boolit Buddy
    So what did they do originally? Run a patch down the bore from the muzzle and let it lay in the action till they plucked it out? Or maybe they turned the rifle up-side down and pushed a patch from the muzzle, letting it drop to the ground once it cleared the chamber? Inquiring minds want to know. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    So what did they do originally? Run a patch down the bore from the muzzle and let it lay in the action till they plucked it out? Or maybe they turned the rifle up-side down and pushed a patch from the muzzle, letting it drop to the ground once it cleared the chamber? Inquiring minds want to know. (smiley face goes here)

Dave
    Well, according to Spence Wolf's book on original trapdoor loads they used a special round. They used an undersized hollow base bullet that expanded similar to a miniball. That let them shoot multiple rounds without the fouling making the chamber too tight. Most of the rifles came with a cleaning rod. They pushed patches down the barrel. The Trapdoor is probably the last "lock, stock, and barrel" rifle. There isn't a way for solvent to get into the trigger mechanism.
    When cleaning at home I start with a funnel from the auto parts store. It is made for things like transmission fluid. The plastic end of the hose fits perfectly in the chamber. This lets me pour a pot of hot water down the bore. After that it is regular patches from the front with a bore guide protecting the crown.
    I am shooting paper patch bullets and need to clean between shots. At a range, with others shooting, one gets a strange look when you cross over the firing line to run a patch every shot.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    foesgth
    You will be able to stay on the line and wipe that TD from the breech and then later clean from the breech when you receive
    your new rod system in a couple weeks
    beltfed/arnie

Not sure what the problem with other folks when you tip the muzzle up like a muzzleloader and shove a patch or two down from the muzzle. No difference at all and this is the way the original fellers did it.

I do like the thought of the delrin rod tho. Betcha that should manage to shove fouling down the bore and out the muzzle. Have to try it for myself. If this works I betcha my trapdoor is taken along when I load up my rollers. Rem rollers are my current favorites

By the by ... what in tarnation is a bore gopher? At first I thought you referred to deep pitting. LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Not sure what the problem with other folks when you tip the muzzle up like a muzzleloader and shove a patch or two down from the muzzle. No difference at all and this is the way the original fellers did it.

I do like the thought of the delrin rod tho. Betcha that should manage to shove fouling down the bore and out the muzzle. Have to try it for myself. If this works I betcha my trapdoor is taken along when I load up my rollers. Rem rollers are my current favorites

By the by ... what in tarnation is a bore gopher? At first I thought you referred to deep pitting. LOL
    You can click on the link to bore gophers in my original post.
    I agree with your theory about how they did it originally. That is how I do it when shooting by myself. My problem comes from my wanting to shoot in competitions. When shooting on a controlled line the ROs get a bit frosty when you step over the firing line to shove a rod down your bore. They have similar reactions when you pull the gun back and start messing around with cleaning. There is also the time factor. When shooting paper patch I am using no lube. I need to run a cleaning pass every round or fouling gets nasty. The whole thing is because Rob (rfd) gets everyone hooked on paper patching. If you haven't tried it come join the addicted!

Oh I have messed with PP and blackpowder cartridges ... finally weened myself from that compulsion (still cant remember how I escaped paper patching) it IS the why of me getting acquainted with Remington rollers tho. They multiply and now I have several.

This not being able to simply push fouling from the breech is where I got addicted to the rollers ... no lever. No needing to tip the butt up to clear the lever stroke open.