Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wad Suggestions for 00 Buckshot - What are your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
    Thank you for your reply, centershot. I just wanted to make sure those Windjammer wads won't "shred" and blow out all around the OOB, since using #9 shot with them presents more even "resistance" vs OOB in psi, in the same way that a water bed loads a floor more evenly than an 8' high 12"x12" stack of lead ingots...
    I don't know about windjammers with their 8 lovely petals but I do have data for Federal 12S4 and 12S3 which I would intuit may have a better chance of success. I really like federal wads and they seem to leave less plastic fouling in the bore.

Wad Suggestions for 00 Buckshot - What are your favorites?

I wrote an article for the Reloaders Network a couple years ago about hunting at extended ranges with buckshot.

Where buckshot catches a bad name is what Hog Tamer mentioned earlier: hunters throw a full choke on and call it a day.

I got loads that preform better at 50 yards with a Mod choke than full.

My favorite size for hunting is #1’s. I don’t throw #4’s at anything but critters.

Anyway, here’s that article if you get bored:

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/...slug-reloaders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blood Trail; 08-23-2021 at 08:27 PM.

My Vang Comped barrels for my M500's Consistently pattern OO Buck into 7" at 25 yards. That is 2 different barrels on 2 different guns. But neither one shoots Lee slugs very well.

The point of the Lee Slugs is that they are the easiest and cheapest Slugs to reload there is, and they should work just fine with the right combo of barrel and load. What I am looking for is a barrel that shoots both Buck and Slugs well enough to justify the Rifle Sights. Lee Slug reloads in Federal Blue Hulls are mostly for practice and target shooting so performance and economy are key to a good final result.

My A5 "Buck Special Barrel" which has essentially a Cylinder Bore Smoothbore with an IC choke at the end does about 10" at 25 yards. It shoot slugs well! so far my A5 is in the lead with it's barrel.
    Another option is Round Balls and I have had good luck with them in cylinder bore barrels.

Below are pics of how I recon my Federal Hulls so they Roll Crimp perfectly everytime. The hull rotates with the Spud and then you push it onto the spud as the heat gun warms the plastic. Results are perfect everytime unless you over heat the plastic. You'll know when to stop, it's pretty obvious.

The M500 barrel I am sending out today will get Rem Choke threading, and with an IC choke tube should shoot Lee Slugs well and be acceptable with 00 Buck.

Excellent article Leon !!! Well done Sir!!!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100465132.jpg   100465016.JPG   100465015.JPG   100465017.JPG   47189.JPG  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-24-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    I don't know about windjammers with their 8 lovely petals but I do have data for Federal 12S4 and 12S3 which I would intuit may have a better chance of success. I really like federal wads and they seem to leave less plastic fouling in the bore.
    Me too! The Federal 12S3 is my all-around favorite wad!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I wrote an article for the Reloaders Network a couple years ago about hunting at extended ranges with buckshot.

Where buckshot catches a bad name is what Hog Tamer mentioned earlier: hunters throw a full choke on and call it a day.

My favorite size for hunting is #1’s. I don’t throw #4’s at anything but critters.

I'm sure I've read that article a bunch of times, but it never gets old. I love that picture of the lungs, that says it all. People like to downplay buckshot, saying each pellet is only about like a 32 ACP. Yeah, maybe, but those holes sure aren't a lot different than you get with 357 magnum or even 44 magnum hard cast bullets. Just two buckshot hits to the lung is far superior to any single handgun round. I've always been a proponent of buckshot, but even I'm amazed all but two passed all the way through at 56 yards considering the angle. It's hard enough to get any slug to shoot accurately enough from an open sighted smooth bore to 60 yards. Here is a handloaded buckshot load good to 60 yards, that is even more effective, and opens up a world of possibilities on deer that don't stand still.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post

18 pellet 3.5" load, was that in stacks of two I suppose? Nice article, I emailed the Minnesota DNR about opening up to the idea of buckshot for hunting and they responded in a way that was similar to deer getting lost and wounded. But any change would have to go through the legislature. My thought was hunters using buckshot would pattern their shotguns like turkey hunters do and with modern loads could shoot out to 45- 50 yards.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    18 pellet 3.5" load, was that in stacks of two I suppose? Nice article, I emailed the Minnesota DNR about opening up to the idea of buckshot for hunting and they responded in a way that was similar to deer getting lost and wounded. But any change would have to go through the legislature. My thought was hunters using buckshot would pattern their shotguns like turkey hunters do and with modern loads could shoot out to 45- 50 yards.
    You got a response from the MNDNR?

I've been messaging them ever so often for years, usually you get the old brush off "I'll pass on this email". Calling gets even less. Minnesota is an absolutely fantastic state to use buckshot in. The southern 1/3rd and far western is mostly open farmland, although I'd actually think buckshot would be safer on deer drives. The central and northern parts of the state have a ton of areas that are unhuntable with a rifle or slug unless you are an expert shot. I've written a few long explanations, and I don't want to do it again. The short version is most people choose to plop down next to a farm field, or in the wide open woods of old growth. Buckshot would not benefit people at all there. Most of the public land in the state is aquatic managed for ducks, and the sad thing is they are terrible for duck hunting. The untold secret is they hold a ton of deer. The problem is deer in the cat tails and swamp grass don't dilly dally around. The swamp bottoms are full of dead trees and other brush. I've been shooting a long time, and I still don't feel confident on even 1/2 the deer I see trotting through the muck. Good luck getting them to stop where you want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Me too! The Federal 12S3 is my all-around favorite wad!
    The original 12S3 12ga 1-1/8oz wad, was discontinued by Federal in 2017.
    Last edited by RMc; 08-25-2021 at 07:45 AM.

In my letter to the MN DNR I mentioned how effective a factory load I used for turkey hunting was. It was a 3" 12 gauge shell using tungsten and it dropped a nice sized tom at 46 paces. It was 7 shot and a lot of the pellets went through the bird! With a extra full choke at that distance the patterns are excellent for what ever combo they assembled. I was sort of humbled to get a response and kind of dropped it there. Probably should contact our representatives and see if any of them would pick it up. Minnesota briefly had a wolf hunt and I suppose that must've originated in the legislature based on my experience with the DNR.

I hunt deer in a mix of fields and woods and I wait for closer range shots because of no trespassing signs around a couple sides of my place and buckshot would be helpful that way too.

Last night I had some nice patterns with the 10 gauge using 14 pellets of 00 stacked in twos with BPI multimetal wads. The base of the wad is not flat so I put 7 pellets of 6 shot in the bottom then cork and 1/8" nitro card to set the pellets on. 1/4" pieces of cork was used to set stack height and about 26 grains of buffer. It shot tighter with a modified choke than a full choke and was getting the bulk of pellets in 8 - 10" at 35 yards. It shreds a milk jug full of water better than a 30-06.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Thanks for letting us all know, that's unfortunate. The good news is that Claybuster makes a knock off and that's what I've been using. That's my favorite for trap handicap loads 1 1/8 oz, 3 1/4 dr eq loads. Claybuster also makes a Federal knock off of the discontinued F12C1 called CB3118-12AR or red 8, that was originally made for paper hulls.

Boolit Master

Yes, sad to say, that is true. I'm working off of my last three bags of those. Downrange and Claybuster make clones but I've not needed them yet.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Claybuster CB-114
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I’ve recently used the Claybuster sub for 12S3 and could not tell the difference, even thickness of the petals. In fact, used them in 3” OO loads. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Pretty+in+Pink
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I’ve recently used the Claybuster sub for 12S3 and could not tell the difference, even thickness of the petals. In fact, used them in 3” OO loads. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Pretty+in+Pink
    whooooaaa! I am in awe, you are truly a buckshot master. Well, this proves that target wads can be used for good buck loads! That buffer is really interesting...

Boolit Master

whooooaaa! I am in awe, you are truly a buckshot master. Well, this proves that target wads can be used for good buck loads! That buffer is really interesting...
    If you've never held a 12S3 in your hand, you'll understand when you do. They're thicker, tougher than any of the AA series wads. Tougher than Windjammer's and a lot of other target wads. It's a shame that Federal ditched them! It's the only wad I found that would take the torque and pressure of my sabot loads without destroying themselves.

unknown

That too has been my experience and the 12S4 much the same. I make some my best 1 1/4 loads with the 12S4. I think the Claybuster knock off of the 12S3 seems as tough as Federal originals...thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

That too has been my experience and the 12S4 much the same. I make some my best 1 1/4 loads with the 12S4. I think the Claybuster knock off of the 12S3 seems as tough as Federal originals...thoughts?
    My thoughts are the 12S4 is better suited for buckshot anyway, since it offers more volume. I wouldn't miss the 12S3 one bit for that. I load a lot of 1 3/8oz #5 lead, and 1 1/2oz #4 bismuth loads with the 12S4.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kycrawler View Post
    I'd be looking ar a fiocchi hull 27 longshot mg 42 and 9 or 10 00 pellets with buffer
    So far the MG 42 wad has grouped the best by far out of the 4-5 available wads I have. Longshot seems to be the best powder as well.

Boolit Master
    SAAMI Voluntary Industry Standards:
    Page 45 & 46:

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2019-04-23.pdf

Diameter:
    Buck Shot Nominal ±0.015” (0.38 mm)

Buck Shot Pellet Count per Shell
    a. 0 and 00 Nominal -1 pellet
    b. 1 and smaller Nominal -2 pellets

To answer your question:
    00B Nominal .33" Min. .315", Max. .345"
    1B Nominal .30" Min. .285", Max. .315"

Most domestic factory buckshot diameters are on the low end of the scale. This trend started with the 1963 introduction of a plastic shot collar in Winchester Mark V buckshot.
    This may explain what happened to the occasional "missing" pellet(s) when evaluating factory load patterns!
    Last edited by RMc; 09-11-2021 at 03:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    Yep, it's gonna change slightly between not only machining tolerances, but also the mix of lead you're using. Anything but pure is going to have a different density, and shrink differently.
    The large pellet "tolerance range" is actually designed to accomodate pellet sizing needed to fit the pellet stack to the wad or shot collar used in factory loads.

The high speed swaging systems used to manufacture commercial buckshot pellets are quite precise.
    Last edited by RMc; 09-11-2021 at 02:24 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast