MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wad Suggestions for 00 Buckshot - What are your favorites?

Boolit Master

Wad Suggestions for 00 Buckshot - What are your favorites?

I'm new at the scatter gun game. 00 buck is the goal. Sourcing proper load data is mind numbing for me. This is partially due to scant supply availability, made worse by incomplete data sources. Every source I find lists only very specific recipes. Right now, I'm working with new Fiocchi hulls, or once fired Gold Medals and Win AA's. Powders - Unique, Longshot, and H Universal. Wads to include, MG42, Original Brush Wads, WAA12, 12S3, Verslite.

I'm doing my shopping at Ballistic Products. Already have their Buckshot "manual", which was near useless. Found one recipe and it patterned minute of barn door.

I would love to hear what wads you guys prefer for 00 buck loads. Would love some recipes, but I know most guys don't like providing them.

I recommend you check out Bubba Roundtree Outdoors on YouTube. Lots of info on Buck and Slugs. 00 Buck is a wide range of sizes, but lots of wads out there will work.

Boolit Master

You want full power or reduce low recoil loads?
    I have the Lyman shotgun loading manual.

Boolit Master

I'm ready to try both. Reduced recoil would be nice to at least start patterning some loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ausrobbo View Post
    I recommend you check out Bubba Roundtree Outdoors on YouTube. Lots of info on Buck and Slugs. 00 Buck is a wide range of sizes, but lots of wads out there will work.
    I've watched a good deal of his content, but he is long winded. Isn't a issue, but I don't have the patience to watch a 30 minute video to get one recipe.

Boolit Master

That book has lots of options. Green dot makes some very pleasant reduced loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I've watched a good deal of his content, but he is long winded. Isn't a issue, but I don't have the patience to watch a 30 minute video to get one recipe.
    When watching one of these guys who ramble on I have a secret. There is an icon of a gear on the youtube video. If you click on that you will get a settings menu. One of the options is playback speed. Depending on the guy I go to 1.5 or 1.75 speed. If the guy is from the DEEEEEP south you might try 2x. They sound a bit like a cartoon but you get all the info in a much shorter time.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

These loads are great out of full choke. Oldies but goodies. Remember its how many pellets on target, not how many in the hull. Load ‘em down a coupleof grains for less recoil. See page 35
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    here's one for you using Fiocchi 2 3/4"
    1 3/16 ounces 00 buckshot
    fio 616 primer
    26 grains herco
    mg42 wad--mica dusted
    overshot 12. on top
    fold crimp

here's a lighter faster load using same shell and primer

457 grains 00 buck
    32 grains longshot
    mg42 wad mica dusted
    os12 on top
    fold crimp

as far as "very specific load recipes". yes that is what shotgun load data is. you don't work up shotgun loads like we do with metallic cartridge reloading
    me--id rather be safe then sorry, im not a ballistics technician or engineer so I follow the load data exactly, been doing it since I was 10, knock on wood-- ive never had a problem or damaged a gun.
    Last edited by farmbif; 08-11-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ausrobbo View Post
    00 Buck is a wide range of sizes ...
    Indeed so!

SAAMI 00B .315" to .345"
    Last edited by RMc; 08-11-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Indeed so!

SAAMI 00B .315" to .345"
    Really? I've never even miked mine, as I assumed 00 was 00. Shows how much I know. I'm using a second hand Sharpshooter 00 mold.

Boolit Master

as far as "very specific load recipes". yes that is what shotgun load data is. you don't work up shotgun loads like we do with metallic cartridge reloading
    me--id rather be safe then sorry, im not a ballistics technician or engineer so I follow the load data exactly, been doing it since I was 10, knock on wood-- ive never had a problem or damaged a gun.[/QUOTE]

Very true. That is what has my head spinning. All I normally have to worry about is powder vs bullet weight and AOL. Throwing the variables of a wad and hull drastically increases the complication.

Wad Suggestions for 00 Buckshot - What are your favorites?

Wade Rush is a very good friend mine and very knowledgeable to reloading and casting. He’s an asset to our craft.

Being someone who’s new to this, I’d hang on to every word he says. Not only him, but a lot of old timers that’s been doing this a while.

As the old saying goes, “you need to crawl before you walk”.

Besides, any load recipe you find from others that’s already put in the work may or may not work for you, so you’re back to square one.

The beauty of it all is getting being the trigger and figure out what works for you. Trial and error, friend.

You might wanna study up on other external factors that affect patterns like chokes, forcing cone lengths, components, etc.

There is no easy answer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Indeed so!

SAAMI 00B .315" to .345"
    .315 is more like #1 buck. Wonder what SAAMI specs are on it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    .315 is more like #1 buck. Wonder what SAAMI specs are on it?
    SAAMI Voluntary Industry Standards:
    Page 45 & 46:

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2019-04-23.pdf

Diameter:
    Buck Shot Nominal ±0.015” (0.38 mm)

Buck Shot Pellet Count per Shell
    a. 0 and 00 Nominal -1 pellet
    b. 1 and smaller Nominal -2 pellets

To answer your question:
    00B Nominal .33" Min. .315", Max. .345"
    1B Nominal .30" Min. .285", Max. .315"

Most domestic factory buckshot diameters are on the low end of the scale. This trend started with the 1963 introduction of a plastic shot collar in Winchester Mark V buckshot.

Boolit Master
    I use a 1 ounce Universal wad with 9 .33 caliber balls from a Lee 18 cavity mold, 21 gr. Unique in a double AA 1 3/4" shell. Even with the little tits left on the balls from cutting them apart with dikes, they pattern quit well out to 20 yards on a man size piece of cardboard.

Boolit Master
    I don’t as a general rule handload 00 in the 12 gauge , I only load 0 in the 12 . I do however load 00 in 10 gauge and use the only game in town the Remington SP-10 wad .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I don’t as a general rule handload 00 in the 12 gauge , I only load 0 in the 12 . I do however load 00 in 10 gauge and use the only game in town the Remington SP-10 wad .
    I got into it thinking 00 was the industry standard, but it seems as though that is the factory loaded standard, and smaller buck is the norm for hand loaders. Guess I need to find another mold......

Boolit Master
    I got into it thinking 00 was the industry standard, but it seems as though that is the factory loaded standard, and smaller buck is the norm for hand loaders. Guess I need to find another mold......
    I load all sizes from #3 buck to 000000 buck . I cast 0000 , 00000 and 000000 . But I handload buckshot in the 8 , 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 gauges .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be looking ar a fiocchi hull 27 longshot mg 42 and 9 or 10 00 pellets with buffer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast