MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .32 small game rifle

Boolit Master
    Thank you kylongrifle32.
    What you said about the Flinter sparking in your face is a big help.
    Especially if my wife is going to shoot it.
    One spark in her face , and the rifle will land on the moon.
    So that may have tipped the scale to at least one rifle for her in percussion.
    But I may just get a flintlock 32 for me and go with her request for a Traditions Crocket rifle for her.
    Now I just have to find the Traditions.
    Seems like everyone is out of stock.
    Now the Kibler SMR I am thinking of getting is a 10 week wait time in the .32 cal.
    But I have found the Pedersoli Cub rifles a couple of places.

Hello LAGS,

I purchased a CVA Squirrel rifle when they first came out, not much drop in the stock but fun to shoot.
    Then I decided I wanted a Long Gun, so I sold the little CVA & purchased a Pedersoli Pennsylvania flinter in .32 caliber.
    It was a disaster. It didn't want to shoot, lots of misfires. A fella offered to tune my lock, at about the cost of the rifle.
    Instead I built a drum & installed a nipple, switched the lock out for a percussion and never looked back.
    I had always wished I had never got rid of the little CVA, which I did eventually replace.
    When I purchased the Traditions Crockett for my son. I was very disappointed that there was not a hooked breach.
    When walking through the woods, the short little CVA beats them all.
    .32 are fun shooting rifles, they use little lead, little powder, and are very easy on your shoulder.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    @ ASM.
    You said that you were disappointed that the Traditions Crocket did not have a hooked breech.
    Were there any other issues with accuracy or quality ?
    How did your son like it ?
    It is a little harder to buy a rifle for someone else , even if you know their basic likes.
    But I was able to nail it once.
    When I met my wife, she loved my Marlin .357 over Her Winchester 30-30 that she had when we met.
    So I bought her a Henry Iron Big Boy in .357.
    She likes that one way better than the Brass Framed one.
    She is not into Foo Foo girly stuff.
    But does love rifles with Curly Maple stocks.
    Last edited by LAGS; 08-15-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Hello LAGS,

We had the typical issues with the Crockett, a little polishing on the trigger and lock, all was well.
    It shoots very well, but when I ordered it I assumed because of the Barrel Wedge it had a hooked breach.
    Even after I purchased it I searched everywhere but did not find out that it didn't have one.
    My son prefers his CVA Squirrel Rifle (we each have one) to the Traditions Crockett. Mainly because of the ease of maneuverability.
    My Pedersoli shoots very well also. I think because of being used to a .50 cal Thompson Center,
    the 41" Long Barrel in the small .32 cal combined with a Flint was a bigger change then I was ready for.
    It did have a stainless steel vent, which I just replaced with a drum and threaded it in.
    I am able to change it back to the flint, but have never had the urge to do so.
    My personal opinion, both the Crockett & Pennsylvania are to long to be walking through the woods looking for a bushy tail.
    That's where the little CVA Squirrel really shines. To bad CVA quit importing side locks.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    @ASM
    The length doesn't bother me.
    I would rather buy a longer barreled rifle.
    I have the ability to shorten the barrel and reinstall the front sight.

Boolit Master
    If you want the convenience of a hook breech it can be done, kinda. Use some bedding compound around the breech and tang. Drill out the tang screw and put in one of those threaded brass inserts. Use appropriate screw for the tang. Now it is 'easy' to remove yet will fit snug for shooting. And repeated removal will not mess up the stock like a wood screw.

Boolit Master
    The barrel removal with a hooked breech is not high on my list or important to me.
    I clean many rifles like my Mowrey, ( which does not have a removable barrel) by using a length of plastic tubing on a nipple adapter and a bucket of water.
    My Blunderbuss is not a hooked breech nor are several Spanish made pistols that I have.
    But I can Convert them to a quicker removal system like Charlie B said .
    I found a Crocket Kit and can modify it to what I want.
    But like I said,
    This perticular rifle will be for my wife to use.
    So modifications and finishes will be done to fit her Likes.
    Last edited by LAGS; 08-16-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    This perticular rifle will be for my wife to use.
    So modifications and finishes will be done to fit her Likes.
    smart move

Boolit Master
    A smart move is not really needed.
    I do have a couch that is comfortable to sleep on.
    Lol

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When I was a kid, we had a .32 that was put together from original parts - this was nearly sixty years ago and there wasn't much in the line of parts that are available today. It was percussion - a half stock and great fun on tree rats and bunnies. Since then, I have owned two other .32 caliber rifles. One of the CVA squirrel rifles in 32 with a scope - it too was a fine shooting rifle on tree rats - I regretted selling it in a weak moment.

The third 32 I owned was on of the Traditional Crockett Rifles - I traded a cap and ball revolver for it and was really looking forward to using it for plinking and 4 legged critters. One of the few times I ever got "took". The rifle itself was very nice - I had no complaints on it - decent workmanship for a production rifle. Unfortunately, I discovered too late that the previous owner had somehow ringed the barrel about half way down - possibly form a load that hadn't been seated properly. There was no good fix to it so I parted it out.

All three were percussion - a flint would be a fun rifle. I bought a 42" Rayl barrel down at Friendship quite a few years ago with the intention of using a small Siler flint and building a nice full stock Tennessee style rifle - at the same time, I bought two Persimmon full length stock blanks and was going to use one on the rifle. I just never got around to building it - too many things got in the way and I ended up selling the parts - still have the stock blank and possibly will use it at some point for another build.

All that doesn't help you much -- but a nice 3/4" across the flats octagon barrel in 32 would make a fine rifle if you can find one. You just have to do some hunting - maybe Rice would have one - be worth a call. Now, I don't know how handy it would be for me to have a 32 as my hands are not in the best of shape - but I still have a 36 under hammer and that is equally as fun. Small amount of lead and small amount of powder but a big barrel of fun!

Good luck and I hope you are able to find something that you and the wife really like. If you don't come up with anything - you might consider taking a Crockett Rifle - re-breech it to get rid of the bolster and set the barrel back and then find a flintlock lock that could be fitted to it. Been a while since I have looked at one but IIRC, the lock panel is probably large enough to inlet a replacement lock if you find one that would work.

Boolit Master
    @ beddugbilly.
    Yes,
    Your information is helpful.
    You and others have confirmed that a .32 is a good Fun Caliber.
    I have downsized my gunsmithing recently , so I don't want to take the time to build myself a rifle from scratch.
    But building this Crocket Kit for my wife will give me a better idea on what .32 I will want for myself

The Crockett sold currently is some different from the one I had many years ago. Back then the barrel was 3/4" and instead of a drum it had a snail bolster. I really like the Crockett and hated I had to let it go. It accounted for many squirrels and was astonishingly accurate.

The flier was my fault and I did get tiny groups at 40 yards on a good day. 4 shots in 3/8". I did eventually get another .32, a flintlock.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    All the crocket kits that I have seen pictures of lately have the Snail.
    I only saw one in person a year ago that had a drum.
    I prefer the snail , and hope that is what I get since this one is not going to be converted to Flintlock.
    But the Traditions St Louis Hawkens that I have is a Drum and works just fine.

Boolit Master
    Great news.
    The new Crocket Kit will be delivered Tomorrow.
    That was faster than expected.
    Thumbs up to Dixie Gun Works.

Boolit Master
    One NIB here still for two years (yea, I know). Looks like a snail to me, still trying to figure out what to do with the anodized aluminum rod?

Boolit Master
    The first thing I am going to do with the Aluminum ramrod is to replace it with a wooden one I make .
    I like the unbreakable rods made out of plastic or fiberglass.
    But only as high use range rods.
    Aluminum rods bend over time.
    And stay bent.
    I don't own a rifle that shoots around corners , so who needs a curved rod.
    Come to think of it.
    In the past 40 years , I have never broken a wooden ramrod.

Boolit Buddy

"My wife likes the Traditions Crocket rifle , but it is percussion and half stock." This should be the bottom line.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    I had the same two issues with the Crocket Rifle.
    But it is mostly for her , so I can put that aside.
    Not that I don't like half stocks , or percussion guns.
    I have at least 10 already.
    But I just want to track my hobby in a new direction right now.

Boolit Master
    I received the Crocket Kit today.
    I am happy.
    It looks like it is going to make a nice rifle.
    My wife already thinks I should shorten the barrel a bit because it seems front heavy.
    She also wants me to replace the ramrod guides with ones I make out if brass.
    It seems to fit her ok the way it is.
    She is undecided if she will have me put in a patch box of some sort.
    She can't decide if she would want the Kentucky / Pennsylvania style or a Hawken style one.
    She said;
    I don't care what the rifle looks like NOW.
    I know it is going to look a LOT better once it is done and slightly modified.
    She is still on the fence about me Lictenberg fractured durning the light colored stock or just stain the wood or use Aqua Fortis on the wood.
    She is in agreement about the ramrod.
    It is aluminum and a little over 1/4" diameter.
    The thimbles will handle a 5/16 wood rod that I can burn a pattern into and put fancy ends on it.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like this will be a beautiful rifle. Could you please post photos when you finish it?

As to your initial question, I have two .32s. One is a CVA Squirrel caplock, that I bought new as a kit about 15 years ago, maybe a bit longer. Nothing really special to write about it. I mean, its a handy light weight good shooting rifle that has been trouble free, put lots of small game in the freezer, and is cheap on both lead and powder. But it's a utilitarian gun, with very simple looks, and I use it for things that any of us use a .22LR for. It shoots great with everything from 10-30grs of powder, but I use 10grs usually, and it shoots very well and puts meat in the pot with a RB. I think your Crockett should be basically the same regarding performance and should be a great shooter, but will have the bonus of much better looks and I bet will be more comfortable with a little more drop in the stock than the Squirrel has.

My second .32 is a Sitting Fox kit that has a 42" Long Hammock barrel, 1:48" twist, and cherry stock, built in a Early Lancaster style by TVM, with German Silver buttplate, thimbles, nose cap, etc, and a small Siler lock, and no patch box. It isn't nearly as handy as the CVA due to its length and weight, but is a better shooter, which is probably mostly a result of the longer sight radius. I use 25grs or powder in this one most times as it allows me to reach further and have successfully gone after bigger than rabbits and squirrels with this one. As much as I love hunting with my .54, the .32 caliber gets used a lot too.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast