Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punkin Balls

Boolit Master

Punkin Balls

I ordered three molds from Tanner’s in the UK last year for my 8 gauge hammer gun . Well the two .415” molds do very well for 000000 buckshot and the .775” roundball does a fair to middling job as a punkin ball . But I bought a second hammerless 8 gauge that per factory letter left in 1906 choked to shoot buckshot close , so it’s a bit more open at the muzzle . I’d decided a couple months ago to go a skoosh bigger for the hammer gun and bigger yet for the hammerless gun . So today I made an order with Tanner’s for a .785” and a .795” roundball molds . Now let’s see if these get here any quicker than last year . Tanner last year had them in the mail in less that a week after ordering but it took a week to reach the USA then almost four weeks to reach me once in the USA .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

My 8bore takes an .835” ball.
    I think you may want to go bigger than .795”

Boolit Master
    he died so dont look for them

Boolit Grand Master

The company is still in business:

https://www.ballmoulds.com/

I thought Jeff's son had taken over but don't see that mentioned on the site.

However, Ball Moulds is in business.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    The company is still in business:

https://www.ballmoulds.com/

I thought Jeff's son had taken over but don't see that mentioned on the site.

However, Ball Moulds is in business.
    If you reed his Obit that is correct, his wife Chris, Jeff's son James & Clair (daughter?) are in running the show.

https://www.ballmoulds.com/wp-conten...r-Obituary.png

Boolit Bub
    The one I ordered is still 3 weeks out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    My 8bore takes an .835” ball.
    I think you may want to go bigger than .795”
    The muzzle on neither of mine is close to .835” . My hammerless measures if memory serves .805” at the muzzle of both barrels so I think .795” just may do the trick . The .775” ball with masking tape wraps has done pretty well in both barrels of my hammer gun . So a step up to .785” may be a bit easier . Nominal bore diameter in both of course is a good bit more than the reading I get at the muzzle , but I have no intention of pushing a ball that fits the bore diameter thru the chokes on these guns .

Boolit Master
    ok i will stand corrected but at first was they would not do it . glad to hear . i will email her, she is one said they would close.
    best out there for RB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    he died so dont look for them
    When I ordered from them last year I had a series of emails with the lady and she told her husband had passed and that her son was cutting molds . But if I remmember correctly he has or had a regular job while the mold cutting was a sideline for him .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    When I ordered from them last year I had a series of emails with the lady and she told her husband had passed and that her son was cutting molds . But if I remmember correctly he has or had a regular job while the mold cutting was a sideline for him .
    Mine arrived day before yesterday, I ordered on July 20th, so roughly 4 weeks.

If it's just a side job that would make sense why it takes longer than it used to.

I'm glad someone is making them though, it's a very nice mold for the price.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanka16 View Post
    Mine arrived day before yesterday, I ordered on July 20th, so roughly 4 weeks.

If it's just a side job that would make sense why it takes longer than it used to.

I'm glad someone is making them though, it's a very nice mold for the price.
    Last year I ordered three molds he had them cut packaged and out the door in about ten days . Then it took four days for them to reach Chicago where they set for three weeks I assume so the crud would die from them . Perhaps last year his main job was shutdown and he had more free time due to the crud .

Boolit Master
    I just got a tracking number and my pair of molds are now at a Brit post office . 14 days after order was placed , very decent turn around . Now let’s see how long it takes once they leave the UK and arrive in this country .

Boolit Master
    I got notification this morning that my pair of molds have arrived in New York City . Now how long will it take to make the 5-6 hour trip from NYC to central Virginia !

Hmmm... I thought that 10 bore was the largest cartridge shotgun that is legal. ImIwrong? Or are these muzzle loaders? A hammerless muzzle loader is a curious beast.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Hmmm... I thought that 10 bore was the largest cartridge shotgun that is legal. ImIwrong? Or are these muzzle loaders? A hammerless muzzle loader is a curious beast.

Jim
    8’s are legal I several states for things other than waterfowl .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post

Jim
    I'm fairly sure you can own any shotgun gauge, even 2 bore, in all 50 states. Correct me if I'm wrong. As for hunting, about the only thing you run into the federally mandated waterfowl regulations, and about 1/3rd of states have a rule on spring turkey hunting. Most allow anything in the fall. I'm not aware of any regulation or law that differentiates a shotgun from a muzzleloader and a breech loader, they are the same thing to the game wardens.

Boolit Master
    My molds were in the PO Box this morning only three days in country before I recieved them this time ! Last year they sat in the Chicago terminal before they’d turn them loose .

If this helps, I shot .740” rb in my rifled 12 ga that’s around .728”-729” at the muzzle and I’m got outstanding 100 yard accuracy at 100 yards. The pressure tested safe as well.

Maybe you can apply the same principle to your should cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    If this helps, I shot .740” rb in my rifled 12 ga that’s around .728”-729” at the muzzle and I’m got outstanding 100 yard accuracy at 100 yards. The pressure tested safe as well.

Maybe you can apply the same principle to your should cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not really but thanks just the same . The hammer gun is choked quite tight but the hammerless left the factory in 1904 or1906 and the letter stated to shoot buckshot close . I dare say not many 8’s were ordered specifically to shoot buckshot . Anyway I don’t want balls going thru the chokes of steel twist barrels that are 110+ years old to tight if the ball is .010” under bore diameter that’s tight enough for me as it’ll have a mylar wrap to make up the difference .

Boolit Master
    I’d planned on shooting sporting clays Friday but that’s been shot in the foot so I may be able to cast a small supply of all three sizes of punkin balls as well as enough 000000 buck to load ten more shells .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast