Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alliant Power Pistol not burning

800x is discontinued, is it not? If he hasn't got any, he isn't likely to get any.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    is 800x a thing of the past? ive always resorted to using lee scoops to measure it does not like to go though most known powder measures.

I would be sorry to see 800x discontinued; Isn’t Hodgdon selling it these days?

I didn't realize this thread was still active. My experiments are on hold while I am out of town, but I might know where to find some 800x locally. Whatever gives me the performance I want, is what I will use. Poor metering characteristics don't bother me too much for this project, as I don't intend to mass-produce the round.

If you're willing to shop for powders, there are lots of powders that will do better than Power Pistol for your .32 S&W project. I use Bullseye in the .32 Long, but AA#2 or #5, Unique, Herco, Ramshot Zip or Silhouette, Hodgdon's HP-38, Titegroup, Universal, or Longshot would all work.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Because some worked while others did not I’m curious if you identified the differences? If mixed brass some is thicker than others which might give more bullet retention. If some is longer than others they give more roll crimp.

Of course there are better powders, but if you’re determined then I’d play with sorting brass and maybe reduce the size of the expander. More roll crimp won’t hurt.

I am not sure I would want to shoot the Buffalo Bore product or an equivalent handload on a continual basis. Max standard loads run around 750fps, that is about perfect for a SWC bullet. Either way, as said by others, PowerPistol is not going to work well within the 38S&W Long pressure envelope.

I read through the Buffalo Bore sales info for their product and two things stand out: they are using a 100grain full wadcutter, and a 115grain round nose bullet. Both of these will reduce the internal capacity of the case more than a SWC bullet will, and will drive the pressure up to a level more favorable to slower powders.
    Last edited by 1006; 09-14-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12