Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Borchardt loads

Boolit Buddy

Borchardt loads

I dragged my Borchardt out of the safe and fitted the new ( original ) rear sight to it, I have had the sight for about 10 years, you can't go rushing into these things, after giving it a good clean it is in pretty good condition the rifling is excellent the action is tight, the wood is a bit crappy looking and most of the blue left home years ago, my guess is it was carried more than it was shot.
    The local rifle club has started a 45/70 fun shoot once a month at 200 yards, I'm looking for a suitable load for the event, I don't want to test the strength of the action or my shoulder. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot 45-70 in bpcr silhouette matches from a rolling block pedersoli 74 sharps or brochart, my brochart is a BRC by Al Story. I load a 500 gn lyman govt to around 1150-1200 fps over Olde ensforde Black Powder. I have several moulds for these rifles the 500 grn lyman a 550 grain Old West silhouette, and a Brooks adjustable Paper Patch that is normally set to 530 grains.

These loads are easy on the rifles and my shoulder also with the right charge and compression very accurate. Loading to the original specs or there abouts results in some fine loads that are very competitive.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you country gent, sadly getting black powder is very hard if not impossible locally and transport companies won't ship it so I am starting to look at trailboss, I am hesitant to use modern powders as the gun is one of the first Borchardts Sr No 00125 one of the Chinese contract rifles, thanks again for your reply.

Boolit Master
    Any load in the trapdoor category will be safe. The borchard was the strongest action sharps made .

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Hawkeye.

Boolit Master
    If you have some 47-59, 16 grains will do very well and it looks like you have powder in the case. I also use 15 grains of Unique but it takes up very little space in a 45-70 case. I have seen Borchardts chambered for some really hot 22 wildcats with no problems.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN