Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Anyone else enjoy coleslaw?

Boolit Master

Arrow Anyone else enjoy coleslaw?

I make homemade coleslaw, like mom and grandma made. I eat the store bought stuff, but it ain't the same. Hand cut the cabbage, 1/8 to 1/4 inch, chop a little, shred carrots on a hand shredder, make a sauce, and mix. My paternal grandmother didn't really make it, but we had it regularly with the maternal grandmother. I use about 2 lbs of cabbage, one large carrot, 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 3/4 cup water, sweetener you like (I use 1-1\2 small packs of sweet n low) , 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp minced onion, 1/2 tsp celery flakes. Dress it up as you like-- olives, cilantro, pimento, fruit, whatever your taste leads you to.

Attachment 287299
    Last edited by gbrown; 08-10-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I love good slaw

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I enjoy good slaw too. never made it , but I know there are probably at least two types, Cole slaw that, I guess you could say pickled, and the kind that is--lets say-- creamy.
    I remember when I first moved to Gainesville there was an old like log cabin bar b que joint right next to the fire station, and they had the most bestest Cole slaw I ever had. there was was some kind of spice in it that made it really good and unique. I have no idea what the spice was. but that place was great.
    went to captain d's a couple weeks ago, the fish and chips were fantastic but the slaw was un eatable..
    yeah but I like good slaw to top off a pulled pork bar b que sandwich or as side dish with fried chicken dinner.
    I especially enjoy the big pot luck at the community center where all the old family recipes are there to enjoy, the last pot luck there were like 8 different kinds of chicken and dumplings and probably 10 different Cole slaws. but still have yet to eat any as good as that old bar b que place.

Boolit Grand Master
    Love slaw!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Your Recipe sounds Righteous ... mayo and sweetner
    It has to be SWEET and mayo based for me . A local BBQ place makes it like this and serves it on top their pulled pork sandwich , dressed with a little Blue Plate Mayo ...
    I call it "Heaven On A Bun" .
    I try pulled pork every where I go and the little place in Baton Rouge is still my favorite ...
    the good coleslaw on top of the sweet smokey pulled pork is what puts it in a class by it's self !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Mmmmm....Slaw!

I found a BBQ place down the way that makes a sort of vinegary marinated slaw that's been my current go-to, but I love a good creamy mayo slaw as well. I'm gonna def try your recipe. Some honey might make a nice sweetener...

Boolit Buddy
    I like mine with a little extra salt and pepper.

Boolit Master
    after doing a little google searching that this line of thought got me wondering just what was in that slaw that made it so different, again im not expert but it just might have been celery seed

Boolit Master

Love it,
    But it doesn't Love Me back.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

Love slaw, it is a 4-5 times a month menu item for me.

Shredded cabbage
    Shredded carrot
    Miracle Whip
    milk(thin the Miracle Whip to dressing consistency)
    sugar(to taste)
    black pepper(to taste)

The basics for a creamy slaw. I sometimes add celery salt for a twist on the flavor.

I do like me a good helping of coleslaw.
    Creamy is my favorite, but I will also eat the vinegar version....in most cases.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    I do like me a good helping of coleslaw.
    Creamy is my favorite, but I will also eat the vinegar version....in most cases.
    Yep! I enjoy both, with a slight edge to the creamy (as my wife "The Queen of Booger County" prefers it that way - even if I have to put up with her North Carolina vinegar BBQ)
    Some days some kim chi influence creeps in, but finely chopped cabbage, some carrots, a bit of onion salt, pepper, and a day in the fridge makes it all good.

Boolit Grand Master

This is my favorite Cole Slaw ... it's from Mike Anderson's Restaurant in Baton Rouge .
    Mike retired , his children now run the place ... I don't know if they they still follow this recipe , need to go there again and check it out .

Mike Anderson's Coleslaw

Dressing for Coleslaw ( makes 2 cups)
    1 Tab. freshly minced garlic - fine
    1 1/4 cups Mayonnaise
    1/3 cup yellow mustard
    3 1/2 Tab. sugar
    1 Tab. ground black pepper ( that's one tablespoon ...don't skimp)

Coleslaw
    15 cups finely shredded green cabbage
    2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
    3/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
    2 Tab. chopped green onion
    2 cups coleslaw dressing ( all of the recipe above )

Directions
    In a large mixing bowl , add all ingredients and toss everything well .
    Add dressing , toss and serve .

I like sweet , I like mayo and I like black pepper ...so I like this unique coleslaw !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I can't remember a coleslaw that I didn't like in all my years. I far prefer homemade and not the type that's made commercially.

That Mike Andersons looks different and I've been having a hankerin' to make a batch. I think that's what it'll be.

My go to recipe years ago was mayo based and it's good, but for the past few years I've been making a vinegar based recipe. If anyone wants it just say the word. I'm sure there are many versions and what I have is just one of the many.

Boolit Master
    BJK please post your recipe

Dougs Slaw

It turns out that I don’t have a clue as to the origins of this recipe. My brother gave it to us (so I thought), so I call it “Dougs Slaw”. BTW, to confuse the origins of it, he says he never saw it until I gave him the recipe. So that leaves the question of it’s true origin. It may have come from a Mrs Miller from northern NJ. But since I’ve published the recipe on the internet with the name shown here, it’ll stay that way.

Despite the confused origin, it’s still pretty good stuff.

Ingredients:

1 lg head of cabbage, shredded
    2 medium onions, sliced thin
    3/4 cup sugar

Dressing:
    1 cup white or cider vinegar ( I prefer cider vinegar)
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1 tsp dry ground mustard
    1 tsp celery seed
    2 tsps salt (Sea salt, Vege-Sal or Celery salt works nicely. Celery salt gives it a “celery on steroids” taste)

First, add all of the dressing ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil. Allow to cool. While it’s cooling do the following.

Shred cabbage fine with knife (the sharper the knife the better this works) DO NOT GRATE. Put the cabbage and onions in a large enough container for tossing (a large bowl or pot is good). OK, toss it, get right in there with your just washed hands. Sprinkle with the sugar, no need to mix. When the dressing is cool, pour it over the sugared cabbage mix. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours; in this time the cabbage will have “settled”, now it can be put in a suitable container for storage. Refrigerate overnight and use the next day.

6/11/10 update

Now we just boil the vinegar, mustard, salt, and celery seed, the olive oil goes onto the cabbage and the boiled but cool dressing gets poured on top. Not boiling the EVOO allows it to keep the great flavor. Nothing wrong with following the original recipe though.

Boolit Grand Master

Instead of Doug's Slaw , since Doug denies it came from him ... lets call it BJK's Slaw !

The Mike Anderson's recipe ... cut it in half or quarter ... that recipe is what the restaurant kitchen made ... it makes a big batch .
    It is a good and different slaw . Mike Anderson was a star Linebacker for LSU from 1967 to 1970
    and 1970 All-American Linebacker . He was a nice guy and popular player and a good cook !.
    I designed and drew the building plans for his three restaurants , he was afraid the first one was too large and would be too expensive ... I assured him it wouldn't be ... by the next year we were drawing plans to add on to the dining room ... people turned out in droves ... it was not too large .
    The restaurant is now run by his children and still popular ... I need to drop by and see if they still make their daddy's coleslaw recipe .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"