Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: M81 Vetterli

Boolit Buddy

M81 Vetterli

So I happened upon an M81 Vetterli last weekend on gun broker. Was able to snag it for $220 with shipping & tax. Was able to pick it up on Thursday evening from my FFL and completed the centerfire conversion on Friday. I'm still waiting on my 8mm Lebel brass to come in, but on Saturday realized I had 6 Hornady 45-70 cases. Since they are already shorter, I figured, why not chop them down and convert them. Ended up adding a brass sleeve to the base as I had read this is a good to keep 45-70 brass from expanding too much and splitting. Was able to sneak over to my buddy's range today and test them out. Did the ole rope tied to the trigger trick for the first shot. I then was able to shoot a 4 shot group at 50 yards. Saved the last one for my buddy to try. He was able to ring the 12" gong at 50 yards with no issue. It was shooting about 8-10" high which was to be expected. I was very pleased with how it shoots. As far as I can tell it is all original except the forend has been cut and someone cut the finger rest off of the trigger guard. Overall I'm very happy with this gun and can't wait to get my lebel brass and load some more up to take to the range!

Boolit Buddy

Welcome to the Vetterli club, they are one of my favorites. If you want a front sight that puts you right on at 100 you can contact Norm Sutton on the Swiss Rifles Vetterli page he makes a front sight you can solder or epoxy over the existing sight (inexpensive easy fix). If you want to do it yourself the front sight blades on 78/81s can be tapped out of the base (you have to look close to see that it is a separate blade and base). I made a new front sight blade out of an old brass key blank, it took a little file work but was quick solution you will end up with a sight blade about 1/2" tall.

Ii have three of the Vetterlis and all 3 of them shoot quite well, my 78/81 does a little better as they have a better trigger system, and my barrel was very clean with a .001 choke to it.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Tom

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone wanna share loading data?

Boolit Buddy
    So these were a pretty light load. 10g of unique @ 2.20 OAL. Boolits were lee 430-310 and NOE 434-298. Boolits were both gas checked & powder coated and sized to 430. I had 3 different lengths of brass, 40, 41, and 42mm. All chambered fine for me, so I will stick with 42mm to give more case for the boolit to sit in. Will probably do some load development with 2400 in the future.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 1 2021 50pct.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	287290
    My most recent target, experimenting with H777 it shows some promise however A2400 has consistently shot great for me with a couple different bullets. This group was with the Accurate molds 43-335B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	best group so far 50 pct.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	287291
    This group was also with 2400 using the Lee 310 grain bullet. I found that it made no difference if I gas checked them or not so I reamed out the gas check shank and made a plain based mold out of it.

I have also used Blue Dot on some lighter 44 mag bullets, as well as IMR 3031 with the Lee 310. I still find Alliant and/or Hercules 2400 to be my best powder, I use 2400 in the vast majority of my rifle cast bullet loads.

Tom

Boolit Buddy
    Tom, thanks for pointing me to Norm for a new front sight blade. Got in touch with him and got a new blade this week. Also got my Lebel brass in and got it all trimmed and loaded up. Was able to sneak off to the range for a few mins and test them out. Did a 25 shot group @ 50 yards with the Lee 310 and a 23 shot group with the NOE 434-298. Point of aim was the bottom of the large diamond, so it looks like I'm a touch low and left. I'm thrilled with how well this rifle is shooting. Going to start loading with some 2400 and I believe this ole Vetterli may do some deer hunting in a few months.

Boolit Buddy

Outstanding! I've found the 3 that I have to be amazingly accurate and they don't seem too awful particular about ammo. Post some pic's with your 2400 groups I am interested to see how it does for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Tom. I think I will do 3 loads from 16-18g and see how that treats me. Will post results when I have them.

Boolit Buddy
    So I was able to get out to the range this morning. I picked up a pound of shooters world heavy pistol last week, so I did 3 loads with that and 2 with 2400. Results are below. Overall I was happy with how the powders performed. I think the NOE boolit did a little better for me, but the Lee was more than sufficient as well. I was able to run them across a chronograph that I borrowed from a friend. Unfortunately I really only got good data for the NOE loads, not sure why the chrono didn't cooperate with the Lee loads. Either way, I'm having a blast with this ole rifle. Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The things some guys will do to make an old rifle talk again ............................... good on ya !!

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Just saw one with an excellent bore, still rim fire, at a local shop.
    Boy howdy was I tempted by that beauty!