Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Your retirement rifle and caliber

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Single shots with rimed cartridges ... Hard to beat that combination !
    Yeah…with two barrels is twice gooder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have always wanted a Ruger 77, with tang safety, in 257 Roberts. Have been looking for an affordable one.

Boolit Master
    I was forced into retiremant a long time a go. I switched over to air guns. ,01cent a shot for pellets. I can shoot in my basement rainge at 10 meters, keeps my eye and trigher finger sharp. So if i do get a chance to shoot some meat i still have confidence. Ever a chep preak barrel .177 can keep you in the game and cheap. I shoot about 100 shots a day and some times up to 500 shots depend on how i feel>> even shooting one of my .22 rimfires i could not shoot as much on the cheeap>> cheap and easy practice and i don't even need to drive anywhere>>>

Boolit Master

I just came across this thread. Don't know how I missed for the past year but have read almost every word. What a range of interests in rifles.

I've been retired for 16 years and just turned 80. I'm looking at a quote for a Daystate PCP rifle including scope and air cylinder. I've got a
    Weihrauch HW95 in .22 but the cocking is getting to me when I want to shoot a lot. It will probably go to one of the sons or grandsons. I've gotten to the point that I don't spend additional $$ on guns or related equipment unless I sell something and raise enough money to pay for it.

I could probably wait awhile and get an even higher end Daystate but at this age you don't put things off. I've got more guns than I'll ever shoot again and really need to get rid of some or give them to the above sons and grandsons.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Alamogunr,
    I like the way you think. I too will be looking into a high end pcp rifle like the Daystate. It gives you more volume enjoyable shooting; and with a good dutst collector, you can do it right at home even in a rainy day.
    I do have some pcp and springer rifles but none is a Daystate quality. Selling some of the rifles I am not shooting for a while, will give the funds for that. I like that idea.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In four weeks it will be my turn to retire (mostly). Two weeks ago I decided to go frivolous and ordered a Henry Big Boy X in 45LC since I already have a Blackhawk in that old caliber. So far, I have only function tested it from my "porch range" and it is buttery smooth with the boolits I cast for the Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    quilbilly; A major congratulations to you & your retirement. Also That 45 that will keep you buisy dodging honey doo's.

I stuck it out with my trusty Marlin .35 Rem. I remember the day, that my dad took me, by surprise, when I turned 16, to Leslie Edelman’s. My dad worked hard, all his life, I’ve seen him bleed and sweat, and go without. I can still see him, counting out the dollars, to buy me, the same deer rifle that he had. Now my son has my dads, and God willing, his son will have mine.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Master

The sawmill I worked for 40 years gave me a Ruger Hawkeye in 223 caliber.
    Within 10 years I had put somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 rounds through it, mostly shooting sage rats.
    I then replaced the barrel with a heavy match grade 221 FB barrel and Boyds varmint style thumbhole stock.
    This is truly a 1/4- 3/8 MOA rifle now.
    I have made consistent hits to 300 yds +.

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    My retirement rifle is, has been and always will be 1892 Winchester 44-40. I’m open to a slightly newer year and older as well. It will be for target, hunting and fun. The search continues.
    I’ve purchased the dies for 44-40. Next is the bullet mold. So I’m setting up its home and calling it in.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Mold
    For me, the Marlin 1895 .45-70. So many different handloads to explore and add casting on top. Shoot from mild to wild, with iron or glass sights with disconnect rings. Capable of going on any hunt that I might do in retirement. Plus a rich history of this caliber to read about in the evenings.

Retirement revolver? Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt Convertible. Similar reasons. Mild cowboy loads, even if I want to shoot .45 ACP, to +P hand cannon rounds. Lots of history. Fun to handload and cast for.

Both in stainless, so to be resilient in any weather. Shoot, shoot, shoot so to intimately know the characteristics of my favorite handloads.

If I get a bonus rifle, it would probably be a .22lr of some sort. Not sure which one I’d focus on, but I have a Ruger single six convertible already to go with it in the revolver department.

Too much fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Grand Forks, ND, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way
    I'm already hoping mine will be available next year! A Stainless Steel Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum is a perfect fit in my mind.

I ordered a 40-65 Shiloh from Bill Goodman this year when I set the date, it came in almost a 2 months to the day after
    I retired. It sits with a 45-70 LRE, and a 50-90 Shiloh Hartford model I had ordered 30 years ago when I got out of the Air Force. Now I have to get loading for all 3

Boolit Bub
    Possibly mines being built right now 25 years ahead of time 😁.
    It’s a custom 22lr squeeze bore down to .204 nice & mild , cheap to shoot . Apparently a 200 yard rabbit rifle & after 100 yards catches & better’s the 22 magnum. Oh well haven’t got it yet but it shouldn’t be far off now.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Savage 1899 in 303 savage does it for me. The 303 Savage is a 30-30 equivalent that shares all of the latter's good points, save for common availability. It is light, doesn't kick the bejeezus out of me, and looks right. I reload and bought a bunch of the PPU brass from the good folks at Graff and Sons, so unless I turn out to be the next Methuselah, I am set for life.

My Winchester model 71 almost made the cut, but is just too heavy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm one of the lucky ones that retired at 51 (30 years for the state). Mine was a 44 mag and 30-30 and I have both but would like to get another lever action in 35 or 45-70 made in 1970 (birth year).

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112