Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Your retirement rifle and caliber

Boolit Buddy

Your retirement rifle and caliber

As I get closer to retirement, I can’t help to think on the rifle and caliber combination that will allow me to continue my shooting sports without busting my retirement budget.
    Assumptions:
    1. You can buy your dream rifle before retirement. ( what action/make/model)
    2. Caliber: something you would not break the bank when buying ammo. Reload equipment already bought. Componentes are readily available (brass, bullets, primers, etc).
    3. Don’t forget recoil sensitivity for older and arthritis issues with some folks.

What your retirement rifle would be and what caliber?

Boolit Grand Master

Ar15 with a Geissele trigger with a Krieger 223 barreled upper for high precision and a 300 BlackOut upper for cast. The platform is basically modular so change it up easily and at low cost depending on your needs. Set up properly they are capable of of 1/4" to 3/8" MOA 10 shot groups or the can be a low cost blaster or even a lower cost blaster with a 22 LR adapter. They truly are Barbie Dolls of boys or erector sets for adults.

With a 458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster upper they can handle the big stuff.

I do have a soft spot for high end double rifles but those are not cost effective or practical.

I am retired and I do have all of the types of rifles most could want and yes the AR's will be the last ones I give up. They are suitable for target, hunting and self defense in a very cost effective modifiable platform.

For retirement I will be scratch building a couple of Winchester 1885's actions/rifles. The only purchased parts will be the barrel and possibly the sights.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-08-2021 at 08:55 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    My "dream" rifle would not be plastic. I would opt for a Model 70 with wood stock even if it not the most accurate platform.

I am 70 and the caliber I use, and will continue to use, is .308. Cheap brass and available forever. Many styles of good accurate bullets and an OK cast caliber.

If I was very recoil sensitive, the .260 Remington. Brass can be formed from .308.

But if you only have one rifle at retirement you have not planned well at all and that is sad.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I have never been one to put off buying things until a specific date occurs. I also find I have more disposable income in retirement than before.
    My bolt action 280 Rem needs a re-bbl so I would replace that gun.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

A high end AR-10 in .243. I'll add that I would also like a really good quality thermal scope on it as well. Hogs, racoons and coyotes would be the main use. I know its a bit overkill for coons but I'm not pelt hunting. I have a chance to help keep a watermelon farm pest free.
    Last edited by Finster101; 08-09-2021 at 08:42 AM.

My retirement rifles are my 03 Springfield and my Winchester model '94.

Boolit Buddy
    I have many rifles and I plan to give them away to my kids and grand kids. The rest I will sell as needed. I will not afford to feed all the calibers I have to be picking one from my collection or a new one that I will devote most of my hunting time. I am fan of the 35 caliber rifles and I may pick one of those for my retirement rifle. While I am not yet retired, perhaps I can look for a nice quality European single shot rifle in a 35 caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps one last Mauser 98 classic walnut and blued steel sporter in the wildcat 7.62x57mm. Because I always thought that it would be a perfect fit.

Boolit Master
    Browning or Winchester High Wall in .38-55, high grade wood, French finish and bank note engraved. Barrel twist to shoot up to 340 gr bullets paper patched or not. MVA Scope series 9000 and Creedmoor Rear/Front Mount Set, and#103 Long Range Buffalo Soule Sight with Spirit Level Windage Sight. Come to think about it I have most of that already, just need the French finish and bank note engraving and scope. A, I am retired!

Boolit Master
    I guess top of my wish I had one list would be a Barrett m98b. 338 Lapua mag, to reach out and touch things.

I built mine up myself. A .30-40 Krag in carbine configuration, but with a medium heavy barrel. Looks very much like a carbine, except I had to devise an unorthodox method of attaching the hand guard and make a barrel band from an old VZ-24 band. I like the Krag cartridge, can use boolits up to 220 gr. and will take any N. American game. Yup...there it sits in the gun locker. Probably will never kill anything more dangerous than paper or a can.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Took me a few years after retirement to finally build my "dream rifle". It is a 30-06 on a M70 CRF action with a 32" Broughton 12" twist barrel in a McMillan A5 stock. Scope is a 8x32 NightForce NXS. I shoot 178 match bullets at 3025 fps holding 1/2 moa at 300 yards with 10 shots.

Attachment 287275

Attachment 287276
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    I just went through this having retired a few months ago.

I found a Marlin 1894 built in 1899. It is chambered in 32-20. It has a 24" octagon barrel. The previous owner had it restored. Great bluing and the wood refinished.

With my reloads it shoots 5 rounds into a 3" hole at 100 yards all day long. Easy on lead, easy on powder and long on class.

It is becoming my favorite rifle to shoot.

Best of luck in your retirement. It was the best thing I've ever done.

Steve in N CA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-20.1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	287278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-20.2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	287280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-20.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	287281

I retired almost 3 years ago. I needed a light, low recoiling rifle. Arthritis in my hands also is a problem. A few months ago I bought a Rossi 92 in 357 with a 20" barrel. I love this gun, cheap to shoot, easy to reload and cast bullets for. Gun is a bit over 5 pounds and very accurate out to 125 yards. I can shoot 38spc. Or the 357 magnum. I did a little smoothing on the action, plenty of videos on doing it. Gun is nice and one to think about.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70marlin View Post
    I retired almost 3 years ago. I needed a light, low recoiling rifle. Arthritis in my hands also is a problem. A few months ago I bought a Rossi 92 in 357 with a 20" barrel. I love this gun, cheap to shoot, easy to reload and cast bullets for. Gun is a bit over 5 pounds and very accurate out to 125 yards. I can shoot 38spc. Or the 357 magnum. I did a little smoothing on the action, plenty of videos on doing it. Gun is nice and one to think about.
    Read my mind... Good choice, good reasoning ��

My 'gift' to myself was a Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-...ford-clone-en/

A nice Shiloh Sharps.

Can use it for general range shooting, competition or hunting. Can load it down to tame the recoil or hot for power.

Boolit Master
    Well since I am retired by neccesity, 3 strokes in one day, I am building my last gun I probably will ever build. It is a Remington Roller, Smokeless action, with a Green Mountain, tapered octagon 24" barrel in 7x57 Mauser. I will do the bluing, and am working on the stock and forearm. The stock and forearm are made from one piece of wood, 4AAAA curly maple, solid stripe from one end to the other every 1/4" apart. It will have a cheekpiece, and either a Schnabel forearm or a ebony tip. I will hot blue the metal, and stain the maple a dark mahogany/English red mix, which turns the stripe black, and will have a classic Rigby buttplate, checkered steel, that I will blue also. I will use a classic English oil finish on the stock, and expect it to take from 20-24 coats, hand rubbed. The barrel is installed, and the stock 90% finished, just need to get on the forearm, which is 80% inletted. I replaced several screws in the action. I have the trigger down to #2.5, crisp and smooth . I will be mounting a scope on this firearm, as I approach 60 years of age, and my eyes cant hold out forever. I have a base I machined out to match the countour of the chamber, and will likely mount a 3x9 x40 Leupold I have already, which should complement the whole package, or I might put a vinage Leupy 2x8 that I have on another rifle. I thought about putting sights on it, but the barrel looks so nice as it tapers and would look cluttered to my way of thinking. I think this would make a handy stalking rifle, or a nice rifle for blind sitting and should do well on deer, bear, elk or mule deer, If I am able to hunt them, out to about 300yds with a Sierra 139g BTSP moving along at a nice pace. I plan on having it completed, by firearms season here in KY.

Boolit Master

Mine is Remington 40-x in 22 LR and finely tuned.
    One hole groups at 50 yards.

So when I am more feeble someone can work the bolt for me
    and I can pull the trigger
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

USMC 77, USRA 79

a 308 built on a super slick mauser action, wood stock, and zeiss optic of good magnification... although I like don's version as well...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast