Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your retirement rifle and caliber

Boolit Buddy

Your retirement rifle and caliber

I think I will also have a PCP and a springer air rifles in .22 cal to economize in ammo for target shooting fun and small game adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    As I get closer to retirement, I can’t help to think on the rifle and caliber combination that will allow me to continue my shooting sports without busting my retirement budget.
    Assumptions:
    1. You can buy your dream rifle before retirement. ( what action/make/model)
    2. Caliber: something you would not break the bank when buying ammo. Reload equipment already bought. Componentes are readily available (brass, bullets, primers, etc).
    3. Don’t forget recoil sensitivity for older and arthritis issues with some folks.

What your retirement rifle would be and what caliber?
    I've already planned that out. 20+ Years ago I picked up and stashed a Ruger M77 Mk.II in .257 Roberts. Easy to shoot, components are available (factory ammo it seems is NOT), I laid in a stash of 7x57 Mauser brass and all the dies, etc. Never been out of the bag/box except to wipe it down with oil in all that time.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Enjoy your Roberts, I shoot a Remington 722 and it is amazing and fun
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I have settle on one very old and well used 303 Brit carbine. It's light and dandy and I just like it. It's a 1898 action with a Martini carbine barrel and a sporter butt stock.

Yes, I do have a newer rifle - it's a 1902 Lee Enfield.

Actually, I have a far more modern rifle.

It's a 1942 No.4

This one has been my prime hunting rifle but now that I've retired, I'm more interested in the little carbine with its original Martini sights. I'm also more interest in the hunt than actually harvesting something.

But that said, I'm keeping all my old rifles - well, most of them anyway. My 22's are what I shoot the most. My prize possession is my late father's 22 Mauser.

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Now that I have reached 77 my retirement rifle has changed. The Sharps and High Walls have gotten to heavy to shoot off hand. I am looking at a flintlock long rifle in .45 cal. I can hunt with it as it is 1/2 the weight of my other big rifles. True I can't hold 1" at 1000 yards , not even at 50 yards, but can still hold minute of deer. It is also fun to watch a kid jump when they shoot it and the pan flashes. Most don't come close to the target.

Boolit Buddy
    Agree with Warren. I too wanted a Sharps or a Highwall but found them to be weight prohibitive, the reason I sold my 444T. Years of turning valves and pounding T-posts have damaged my elbows. My retirement "rifle" actually turned into a 5.5" Ruger FT Bisley 44 Special.

Boolit Mold
    Retired 18 years ago. Too many acquired to have one favorite. Old reliable is a FN .270 bolt gun for cartridge deer, Steyr Mannlicher .222 Rem for varmints, and Sako .22 for squirrels in modern guns. Most fun are my flintlocks and percussions. Retirement is just a whole lot more time to have fun. Enjoy.

Boolit Master
    It usually takes me over a year to build a sporter on a milsurp action, but after I retire that pace might quicken. I've got other rifles to finish first, so it will be after I'm retired when I get to build this: a sporting rifle based on a pattern 1914 Enfield receiver with M1917 internals in caliber 9.5x57 Mannlicher-Schoenaur. I already have all the goodies; stock blank, barrel blank, action + aftermarket trigger, chambering reamer & gauges, metal lathe and tools, reloading equipment (including hundreds of rounds of new 30-06 brass for forming), and most importantly - the boolit molds. All I need is time.

Boolit Buddy

Already have my retirement rifle. Shiloh Sharps 45-90 and plenty of lead and powder to keep it fed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DW475 View Post
    Already have my retirement rifle. Shiloh Sharps 45-90 and plenty of lead and powder to keep it fed.
    Love my shiloh sharps just put a 100 rds through it this weekend at a silhouette match at friendship im 5 yrs from retirement go out and play when you can.

I've started a "rifle system" for my retirement rifle. Took my old Rem 700, 222Rem, and bought a new barrel chambered in 20-222.
    It's a Remage nut barrel, so I can swap it out for other cartridges of the same case head family. AND--- I've got another bolt with 308 bolt face that will work with the same short action, so I can expand my cartridge choices.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6052.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	300519
    This stock is a 40x rimfire fairly heavy solid walnut, and the barrel is 26" heavy shorter. Kind of a old school bench-rest set up. It's a real shooter, and now scoped with a Vortex Viper 5x25 PST, and weighs in at 12 lbs.

I've got three other stocks for this system - Boyds Laminate, Rem Tupperware, and an old 722 walnut. The next barrel is going to be a 20" light sporter in the same 20 cal. cartridge. Purpose will be for walking/calling coyote rifle.

This cartridge is so sweet and easy to load for and shoots soooooo good. I've hardly ever shot a group as big as an inch. Mostly .3 to .4 MOA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	300523

I've got it set up as single shot right now, but I've got the ADL box and follower to put it back to a repeater. It may be the last rifle I ever buy. New premium barrels for $500 a pop, and no gunsmith required. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Mold
    Winchester 1885 in 45-70
    With Lee Shaver sights installed.
    Black Powder Cartridge is a hoot.
    Amazing Accuracy

Boolit Bub
    CZ 527 carbine in 223 with leupold 2.5x8. Turkey gun in fall with cast. Coyote gun in winter with the other bullets. Just plain fun plinking in summer with grandson with bullets we swaged ourselves. It'll be his.

Boolit Buddy
    If and when I retire that will be when I can finally enjoy ALLL the toys that I have worked my backside off to get and reloaded enough ammo to last my lifetime without running low or cut into my budget

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot_again View Post
    CZ 527 carbine in 223 with leupold 2.5x8. Turkey gun in fall with cast. Coyote gun in winter with the other bullets. Just plain fun plinking in summer with grandson with bullets we swaged ourselves. It'll be his.
    I've got a 527 Lux in .22 Hornet that is a joy to shoot and carry. I got it as a grouse gun when I couldn't find .22LR.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Bought my forever retirement rifle about 10yrs. ago. Saw a picture of "HER" on a gun auction, "OH YEOW", texted the feller and had him tell me her (his) story, placed my bid and got'er. She's a 40-60 Chaparral, w/ 26" barrel, got her home fixed a couple small "ouches", and as they say the rest is history. She'll be in my estate sale, love the history of the 76's, and she feel's like she enjoys being held against my shoulder. How many rounds??? Been having to slow down with the way things are, hate seeing her just lying in her case (sigh), but things are looking up. (Not too mushy?).

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    Retired for the first time in 1992 after 20 years in the Army. Retired for the second time in 2012 with early SS. Found the rifle I wanted a few years ago, a Ruger #3 in 30/40. Had been restocked with pistol grip stock, nice shooter and enough power for the deer hunting I do, and is just plain fun with cast loads. Liked it so much I bought a second one and replaced the butt stock with one from a Ruger #1. Really wanted a No 1 in 30/40 but missed the boat on the limited run. Have other rifles, a Win M70 controlled feed in 243, a much remodeled Rem 513T in 22LR, and a 1903A3 but for CF prefer the Krag.

Boolit Buddy
    It sounds as if your “retirement rifle “ will be your last rifle. Well I didn’t get the message. I have been retired 16 years and have purchased several rifles since retiring.

My most fun rifle is a Winchester 1892 in 357 Magnum. I have 35 caliber molds in the following weights: 107, 120, 125, 130, 140, 148, 150,158, 163, 180, 190 and 200, so I can do a lot of low cost plinking or some serious short range hunting with that gun.

A couple of other post retirement purchases are a Kimber 84M Classic 260 Remington with a Zeiss 2.5-10T scope and a Ruger #1 in 30-30 with a Vortex 1-8 scope.

I shoot cast in all my rifles except the 260 REM and the 264 Winchester Magnum.

I think my next rifle will be a PCP air rifle in 25 caliber.

Rocky
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master
    Ive toyed with this idea for years....the right rifle MAY have just come along...... take a bakail single shot break open that is chambered in 222 remington and rechamber it to the older .22hp savage with tighter neck..... then use .224 expander ball in the dies and shoot modern projectiles in the older cartridge..... just because its different and a rimmed cartridge is nice in a break open gun. will see. I may just keep as trebly.

Boolit Grand Master

Single shots with rimed cartridges ... Hard to beat that combination !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast