Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Squirrel Hunting In Style

Boolit Master

Squirrel Hunting In Style

Yesterday I hunted Blue Wing Teal in the morning (3)
    With a invite to help control squirrels in the afternoon

My lady and I went over to help with the squirrels a little after 12 PM
    We both figured it was to early
    But they told us 12 PM , so OK

Well I took my Browning 22 Hornet and She used my H&R Handie rifle in 32 S&W

40 gr cast , Hornady cases , CCI SR primers and 2400

85 gr cast , Rem cases , Fed SP primers and Unique

We were " Guarding " a bunch of English Walnut trees
    As the squirrels were trying to figure out how to get over or under a fence with a electric strand on top and another just off the ground at the edge of the fence
    If you want a laugh , watch a young squirrel touch the electric strand with it's nose

OK most of the squirrels would come into the yard and go up into one of the 3 maple trees to look for a way to get to the English walnut trees
    Us 4 adults were setting under the English walnut trees at picnic tables

Ice Tea , lemon aid or ice water was brought to us by a 14 and 13 year old kids
    Along with cookies
    The 2 older kids cleaned and cut up squirrels as we harvested them

The "Hunt" started with young squirrels at about 1:30 PM

Shots were 10' as a few bold squirrels bypassed the maple trees and went up the clothesline posts
    Out to 20 yards

Almost all shots were easy
    The 4 of us had harvested 24 fox squirrels before 3 PM
    We then took turns helping / watching over the 4 kids as they harvested 24 more squirrels

No need to worry about the squirrels
    As my friend owns a woods behind his house , then 3 miles of farm fields ( no houses )
    Also 2 yards down is a Metro Park over run with squirrels , that is his almost never ending supply of fresh squirrels

I was given all the squirrels , as they know most will be used at our clubs wild game dinner
    But as it is raining and I didn't feel like hunting in the rain
    Corn bread and deep fried squirrel will be lunch

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    LOT OF FIRE POWER FOR A SQUIRREL?? JUST MY THOUGHTS?? I JUST USE A .177 AIR RIFLE> HEAD SHOTS? CLEND THROUGH AND THROUGH CHEST AT 25 yds>

So....48 squirrels? I hope you were able to delegate the cleaning and skinning chore to other participants.

DG

Wish I had a place like that near me now.

Most the time these days I use a 17 Ackley Hornet w/ 25 gr Hornady HP downloaded w/ 4895 to 2800. Still quite dramatic, so shoot them in the head. 70 yards is quite do able where I hunt now.

Used to be I hunted a place where (I was told) squirrels would get relocated from a resort town about a dozen miles away. Used to hunt it daily during season one fall in the 80s, and got some nearly every trip.
    Sometimes we used 22 RF, sometimes shotguns (20 & 12). Honest to god: When you see a squirrel blown out of a tree 25 feet away w/ a 20 shooting a 3" shell loaded w/ #4, spin through the air sideways for 10 feet, fall & hit the ground, run up the same tree, chatter at you, take the other barrel, and when you skin them out find only a couple pellets went through the head and about 2 dozen fall out from just under the hide as you are pulling it off w/ just bruises on the muscles, the Hornet doesn't really seem too silly of a choice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Wish I had a place like that near me now.

Most the time these days I use a 17 Ackley Hornet w/ 25 gr Hornady HP downloaded w/ 4895 to 2800. Still quite dramatic, so shoot them in the head. 70 yards is quite do able where I hunt now.

Used to be I hunted a place where (I was told) squirrels would get relocated from a resort town about a dozen miles away. Used to hunt it daily during season one fall in the 80s, and got some nearly every trip.
    Sometimes we used 22 RF, sometimes shotguns (20 & 12). Honest to god: When you see a squirrel blown out of a tree 25 feet away w/ a 20 shooting a 3" shell loaded w/ #4, spin through the air sideways for 10 feet, fall & hit the ground, run up the same tree, chatter at you, take the other barrel, and when you skin them out find only a couple pellets went through the head and about 2 dozen fall out from just under the hide as you are pulling it off w/ just bruises on the muscles, the Hornet doesn't really seem too silly of a choice.
    This is why I like a 12 gauge with 1-1/8 oz. of 4's or 5's and a tight choke. My old Ithaca SxS is choked Mod and Full, perfect squirrel and turkey gun!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always thought 22lr was the standard for squirrels. Anything more and you got to be making head shots if you want to harvest any meat.

Boolit Master

When I was about 13 years old I shot several squirrels in the head on my grandparents' farm with my 22 single shot. I was proud of my marksmanship as I presented them to my grandfather. He told me I had ruined the best part of the squirrels, the brains. I had to learn to shoot them in the top of the neck so as not to ruin the brains. He passed in 1975 and I can visualize him cracking the heads open with a large soup spoon to get to the good part.
    Take care, and good hunting story,
    Rick

Boolit Master

Head shots for the first 24 and 23 of the next 24
    One of the kids did a head shot
    But that squirrel was on top of a cloths line post
    So some meat was messed up

Also the 22 hornet was loaded to 1400 FPS and the 32 S&W was loaded to 1000 FPS
    My friends and their kids all shot 22 LR

I use bullets I cast
    So my reloads are cheaper than buying 22 LR ammo
    I do use a 22 LR Ruger 77/22
    But it likes Eley Standard and I am down to 8 or 9 boxes
    To much $$ right now to restock

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Cool.

He's some inspiration for when deer season comes around:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails texas-hunting.jpg  
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool.

Luv it! LOL! I see life is hard in Texas.........maybe I need to move!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Sounds like a great time was had by all!
    My best ever deer blind is my front porch….

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool.

That’s a great picture.

Boolit Master

That was a great day. My squirrel load is a 32 caliber round ball from a muzzle loader.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    That was a great day. My squirrel load is a 32 caliber round ball from a muzzle loader.
    Mine too!

Boolit Master

Mine too! In addition to 22RF LOL, I've seen people eat the brains, I've never tried'em.

Boolit Master
    Mad squirrel disease!
    From eating the brains.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    When I was about 13 years old I shot several squirrels in the head on my grandparents' farm with my 22 single shot. I was proud of my marksmanship as I presented them to my grandfather. He told me I had ruined the best part of the squirrels, the brains. I had to learn to shoot them in the top of the neck so as not to ruin the brains. He passed in 1975 and I can visualize him cracking the heads open with a large soup spoon to get to the good part.
    Take care, and good hunting story,
    Rick
    Funny you related that story - according to my dad, my paternal grandfather also liked squirrel brains. Not sure what it was about people who were born in the late 1800's to early 1900's but that practice started somewhere. Dad said his father liked to brown the brains in a pan and add whipped eggs to the meat. I confess to eating squirrel on occasion but never considered eating the gray matter...LOL