RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your retirement rifle and caliber

That is a Beauty! I love the old Sako's, I have a 22PPC single shot.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A0F902D-0E38-49FB-BF02-98966E0FCB74.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	296477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1761B931-6CF0-4CBA-BFD3-5E4122286695.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	296476
    This was my most expensive retirement ‘rifle’. A sbr’ed Auto Ordnance WH 1927a1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E0672588-B9C7-484A-96AE-E6862E5F9D1C.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-18-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    After having and selling several Savage 308Wins, bought myself a Savage Apex Hunter in 308Win and am well pleased. Main use will be during hunting season with rest of the time feeding it cast boolits for fun times at the range.

Boolit Grand Master

The old Chicago typewriter. I have considered one of those.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Well I bought it just before retiring, and call it my retirement gift, but doubtful its my last purchase.
    PSA parts and built a GEN3 AR-10 in 308. Had all of the components to reload, a friend gave me an extra set of dies...
    So why not build the gun..

Guess I cant post a pic yet

Well settled on a 250 grain plain base flat point mold PCed and 1680 for the 375 Win 94 XTR.
    But already the 35 Whelen barrel is calling me back to the lathe, the barrel is not finished up yet. I still need to turn the 1968 Rem 700 action .010 over, square and true it. The 35 is a great 200g cast shooter.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I'm retired and have rifles, so all of them.
    Whatever!

A big ol sharps that shoots a big long brass cartridge…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Johnson M1 Carbine in 5.7 Johnson. No recoil, lightweight and a classic perfect for rabbits

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    A long, slim .32 percussion squirrel rifle with a 42" or so, 3/4 inch barrel in a nice, full length piece of maple or maybe walnut.
    I made one of these about 20 years ago. Love it! With my now-retired eyes it has a peep and a fiber optic front sight, but the squirrels fear it. 30gr FFFg T7 and a patched .310 RB. Ballistically it's like BP .22 mag but it's surprisingly destructive. Mine has an oil finished tiger maple stock. When my 9 yo daughter saw it she asked if I was going to sand those stripes off of it! LOL

BTW if any of you that think a .32 is light- Daniel Boone's "Ticklicker" was a .27 caliber and John Johnston (the real "Jeremiah Johnson") had a favorite rifle- a .30 caliber Hawken (contrary to the movie). Both of them killed a lot of things much larger than squirrels....

Have fun!

John

If I had to pick just one it'd probably be my Marlin 45-70GBL as I'd seriously regret getting rid of it. The damn thing, despite being a Remlin, just works flawlessly and is easy to load for plus with such a wide variety of projectile weights and large powder volume to work with it is very versatile.

After that it'd be my little Norinco 22. Lovely thing and pleasant to shoot.

Lastly its the tacticool Citadel 44 Magnum. Awesome rifle and very capable in its own right, from mild to wild.

Boolit Master
    After my last trip to the pawn shops and gun shops I am not allowed to go there alone and unsupervised, I always seem to bring something home with me .

Boolit Master
    If I can only have one, it's my great-grandfather's Stevens 44 1/2 that I already own. I've got the original .22 LR match barrel for it, plus a .30-40 Krag barrel built by CPA rifles. If I retired in Iowa and the laws for deer hunting stay the same as they are now, I'd get a .357 Max barrel made for it. The only downside is that I couldn't use it during the late muzzleloader season like I can my .35 caliber handguns.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

I am still actively looking for my dream rifle. I have been retired now for a long time so it wount be a retirement rifle but beautiful wood still gets me excited so one day I may find it.
    The caliber might be one of my wildcat ideas that I haven’t yet done. I handload 90 % of the calibers that I shoot and no matter how old I get I can’t see that part changing !
    Jedman

Boolit Master
    Mine is used and sitting in the lgs. 50's vintage model 70 in 30-06, clean with nicely figured wood. But $1,300.......

Boolit Mold
    Savage 99 in 358
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails savage 99.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Been reloading over 50 years, over 50 different calibers. Recently reduced the herd by 135 "items". Did buy one in the process. Have been wanting a Encore rifle barrel by MGM in 357 Maximum, so got it and it is really nice. Shoots great too. Wallacem in Ga

My retirement rifle turns out to be one I have owned for a long, long time. I bought a heavily remodeled M91 Mauser when in my teens, it had been converted to the .308 Winchester cartridge through some creative gunsmithing using the original barrel. After years of loading the thing down, using .311 bullets in the .308 case I finally updated it to a cast bullet gun. Over the years I had it fitted with a Redfield receiver sight, and then later I fitted it with a Williams side mount and HCO rings. I put an old Bushnell Scopechief 4x with a post on it and never looked back for hunting. The old scope has pretty coarse adjustments and doesn't look like much, but it stays put year after year and that is what matters. This year I updated the gun for a "wild" pig hunt in Shoshone ID. I put in a used military 8 x 57 barrel from a '93 Turkish Mauser, set back the barrel to fit the modified (not by me!) receiver, and chambered the gun for the 8 x 54 Krag Jorgensen.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have added a retirement rifle to the list . I have finally been able to buy the grail rifle that I have spent the last fifty some odd years wanting. Yesterday I did a deal on a 1936 long tang Winchester model 71 with the bolt peep sight. the first article I ever read was a 1950's piece by Townsend Whelen on the model 71 and the different wildcats built on the .348 , that was probably 64 or 65 and I have wanted one every since. I didn't buy collector grade just a standard rifle with what looks like a good quality re-blue. I am a shooter not a collector and this will be drug thru the woods for whatever time I got left .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

ok...I'm 75 and this is my last year of working. Been doing this job for 45 years.
    my retirement rifle...Savage 99 in 300 Savage.
    its sitting in the rifle rack now!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast