Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: T/C Renegade Scope Mount

Boolit Master

Smile T/C Renegade Scope Mount

I hope this is in the right area, if not please delete it. I don't want any trouble. I am building a .58 cal T/C Renegade. I could not find a Big Boar. I plan on having Bobby Hoyt ream out a Renegade .50 cal. tube. My eyes are not what they used to be so I'm adding a scope. I may have to install a new hammer to clear the scope. The mount I found, in the basement, with a lot of dust on it is a See thru scope mount by Wideview and the number is WSM-TCR, in case you're looking for one at gun shows. Just a heads up if you're looking to attach a scope to your T/C smoke pole. Good shooting.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    I love my 40 year old double trigger TC Renegade in .54 caliber. Ain't no way I'd hang glass on it no matter how much worse my eyes get but I did put an official TC tang mounted aperture sight on it when new. It works great, accuracy with Lee's REAL boolits is phenomenal and the sight looks right.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 renegades, a 50 & 54. both flintlocks, as here in Pa it is a flintlock only season, no scopes. at 72 my eyes are not what they once were, but I like the irons on the renegade, with the square blade and square rear sight. I can still shoot well with them, not so with my friends t/c hawkens. but that said, a scope would be nice.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    If you have a welding torch or possibly a Mapp Gas Torch , you can heat up your hammer and bend it for the clearance you need .
    I have done that on several TC hammers.
    If you remove the hammer and clamp it in a vise.
    You can heat the spur up till almost red hot and then gently bend the spur off to the side with a set of pliers.
    I almost did it again on one of my Renegades and I already bought a scope mount.
    But I went in and had vision correction surgery.
    Now I don't need a scope as bad now that I see better.
    I already had Hoyt take my .56 SB barrel out to .61 caliber with a slow twist rifling.
    It shoots great.

Boolit Master
    I shoot what works with my eyes ,no question other than straight Leop 4x or 2x7 ?Wait I have 3 and no apology . I like killing stuff I eat and no scope with the population /antler restrictions means a snow balls chance in bell and I hate cheerios for dinner . 5 point walks past you @ 150yds I will kill it and get you to drag (I"m getting old) and invite you for left overs Ed

Boolit Master
    I'm pushing 72 and have had 2 eye surgeries on each eye. I don't want the scope, I NEED the scope. LAGS, thanks for the info on bending the hammer. My hunting days are over due to other medical problems and I sure miss eating venison and having 3 freezers full of venison. I really enjoyed hunting and miss it a lot. You can't eat the horns but you can look at them and remember days gone by.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Everyone has his own preference for hunting and I don't look down on anyone who disagrees with me. BUT, the various primitive weapons seasons were intended for traditional muzzle loaded and iron sighted rifles shooting ball or conical bullets. Using glass and sabo jacketed ammo in a modern type breech loading "black powder" rifle seems to flaunt the original sporting purpose for a special season.

My eyes aren't what they used to be but I have a compact 5x binocular to confirm what I do see and my peep sighted rifle will hit as good as I can see to aim. I have never shot it at game passed about 110 yards, the early season rarely lets me see anything passed about 75 yards; usually half that. And, given the poor trajectory of large caliber cast lead bullets, I'm unlikely to shoot further than 75 yards anyway so I'm not giving up much.

Boolit Master
    It has been a few years , but Idaho Ron had posted some pictures of the hammer bent over on one of his rifles that had that was very similar to ones that I bent myself.
    He might be a good person to get info on scoping your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    I hope this is in the right area, if not please delete it. I don't want any trouble. I am building a .58 cal T/C Renegade. I could not find a Big Boar. I plan on having Bobby Hoyt ream out a Renegade .50 cal. tube. My eyes are not what they used to be so I'm adding a scope. I may have to install a new hammer to clear the scope. The mount I found, in the basement, with a lot of dust on it is a See thru scope mount by Wideview and the number is WSM-TCR, in case you're looking for one at gun shows. Just a heads up if you're looking to attach a scope to your T/C smoke pole. Good shooting.
    Bob
    Would an intermediate or long eye relief scope work for you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Would an intermediate or long eye relief scope work for you?
    I'm shooting paper so I'm going to go with what I have. I don't hunt anymore due to several medical issues. I have an intermediate scope and mount, but the power is low so I'm going with the Leupold 3x9. Thanks!
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

There's a scope mounting system for muzzleloaders that I'm working with that has an upper and lower half making an octagonal interior, that clamps onto the barrel. I'm using a 2x7 pistol scope.

I put a scope on a Thompson Hawken last year and had the same trouble with the hammer spur. I have 6 Thompsons and was looking at them pondering the problem when I noticed that one of the spurs on one of the rifles was not sticking straight up but pointing to the rear. I used this hammer and it fit perfectly with the clearance I needed. I dont know where this hammer was from but it seemed original. So keep a lookout for one of those hammers. Maybe it was made for a scope I dont know.

Boolit Master
    Theditchman,
    Thanks very much. I'll keep an eye out for this style hammer.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    I'm shooting paper so I'm going to go with what I have. I don't hunt anymore due to several medical issues. I have an intermediate scope and mount, but the power is low so I'm going with the Leupold 3x9. Thanks!
    Bob
    This is an older TC mount (note length/hammer clearance with no problem using a Leupold 2x7/EdAttachment 287585Attachment 287586

This is the old style mounts that TC made to fit their scopes to the Renegade, Hawken and New Englander rifles. They had the bright idea that they'd make scopes that would only fit their mounts. The public's reaction was NOT so they went with conventional hardware instead of trying to force the marketplace to bend over.