Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What is your #1 .22 revolver?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6-AE0-D43-D768-4-D94-AEE3-CF0-A0-BD33-ABF.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	289157

Quote Originally Posted by beagle74 View Post
    This post was originally about revolvers, but since you mentioned the Ruger MK pistols, I had a MKII with a bull barrel, which was absolutely the most accurate gun I've ever seen. It shot like a laser. Too heavy to carry though, a great range gun.
    I have a pair of Ruger Mk III 22/45's, his and hers. Both wear cheap truglo Red Dots.
    Both will outshoot any and all of my other .22's.

I have seen my wife put 10 into a pop bottle cap size circle with none touching the edges in under 7 seconds.
    Mine will do the same only even faster. With the .22lr shortage and higher prices both are staying home for now. And this was about revolvers.

While the Mk III's are more accurate they are IMO not as much fun as the Heritage RR 6" with adjustable sights. With .22mags this will turn out very acceptable groups at 21 feet. And is just plain a hoot to shoot.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy

My one and only .22 rimfire revolver. A bronze Ruger Wrangler that I picked up last month. I've only had it to the range once and it was shooting a little low and left. Probably need to work on my trigger finger placement.

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Really a great thread! Lots of good choices. So far, it seems, the S&W 17 and Ruger Single Six are in the majority. I've got a Mod. 17, great gun, highly accurate. I've also got a Taurus Mod. 96 that is very much like the S&W (probably couldn't tell them apart in the dark) that is slightly more accurate than the Smith. Both are 6". But I heard someone mention the word "fun", and I have one I haven't seen anyone else mention yet, close to the Ruger Single Six idea, an Italian Stallion. Of course it's nickname is Sylvester. It shoots apple sized (large apple) groups at 25 yds., but the operational word here was "fun".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006925.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	289170

I see some votes for the Ruger Bearcat as well. Very nice revolver. Very well made. Sort of expensive now, but what isn't? I bought one each for each of my granddaughters as being a "good to learn on" handgun.

DG

Boolit Bub
    The three revolvers that I have are a 4 inch Smith 617, a 1960's Ruger Bearcat, and a 1976 Ruger Single Six Colorado Centennial. I would rate the 617 as the most fun by a smidgeon simply for the ease of extracting the empties. The extra 4 rounds in the 10 shot cylinder vs six in the other two is also a nice bonus! But you can't go wrong with any quality 22 revolver! Everyone needs at least one!!

Best, most accurate .22 by far is an old but near mint S&W 17. But I rarely take it out. The one I shoot the most is a knockabout Iver Johnson "Target" model, which lives near the kitchen door for close-in defense against raccoons and opossums. So which is really my favorite?
    Cognitive Dissident

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had forgotten about Dads old High Standard 99 .
    Its probably as fine a shooter as any .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Colt dual cylinder 22\22mag. Adjustable sights. Bought in the 70s.

+1 Single Six
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger single six convertible and a Rossi 511. I'd be hard pressed to pick my favorite. The Ruger is more accurate, but the Rossi is more fun.

This thread has convinced me I need to go shooting instead of building fence. I guess the fence can wait till tomorrow.
    Last edited by jimlj; 10-06-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Ruger single six.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Getting boring but my 6 inch S&W dated 1966. Has Ahrends grips.

Boolit Bub
    Smith and Wesson model 34 kit gun

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    1966 Colt Cobra 3"
    ...been looking for one for years...when they come up they just want more money than they are worth to me... wouldn't mind having one in .32 NP either...

There is a .22 Currier on GB right now...will sell for lots of money...

My favorite "fun" .22 revolvers....

Single Action: USFA Flat Top Target .22/.22 Magnum with 5.5" barrel

Double Action: 1954 vintage Colt Trooper 4" which just got a .22 Magnum cylinder added

Boolit Master

My Single Six with changeable cylinders.

Boolit Bub
    Ruger New Model SS single six with fixed sights. Also any old model.

Geez, it's been a Single Six Convertible for more than 40 years, but two years ago I found a M-18 Smith in LNIB for $400. That gun's become a regular for walking the dog and general around the farm totin'. And it's not ammunition sensitive...good grouping with CCI MiniMags, Federal Auto-Match, and even Remington Golden HP's.

But the story continues: my local 5-Star Pawn had a 6" bbl'd New Frontier Colt SAA in the case that I got for $600. The longer bbl. doesn't carry as well as the shorter Smith, but it's got a great trigger and is actually more accurate with the Magnum cylinder installed. It's my new, BFF...at least for this week! Rod Pic below of Smith M-18, my best shooter.

Last edited by Rodfac; 12-10-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Pic added
    Rod

My 617 4 inch hands down but having many 22's in revolver and auto they are all nice! Some are finicky though,but not the 617!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211107_113701_resized.jpg  

Smith & Wesson 6" Model 17. I cut my learning to shoot double action teeth on one. I haven't a clue how many rounds I fired through it, but it was many 1,000's. Sadly, I parted ways with it after several good years together. I never could gather up enough money back then to afford the luxury of buying another. Finally, life started looking up and several years back I picked up a Pre 17 K-22 5 screw. It sure brings back sweet memories every time I take it out shooting.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Taurus model 94 stainless 5".

Taken with flatpointed Federal Automatch...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast