Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2PBcastcoTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What is your #1 .22 revolver?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm really hoping to get one of the new 8 shot SP-101's here soon. I know they have an awful trigger pull, but are they good otherwise? It would be a great understudy for my .38's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Master
    Ruger Wrangler.

My other .22lr revolver is a Taurus 94, trigger so heavy that it makes it terrible to shoot. So it just sits.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I'm really hoping to get one of the new 8 shot SP-101's here soon. I know they have an awful trigger pull, but are they good otherwise? It would be a great understudy for my .38's.
    Mine has been great, ignoring the trigger pull. It will improve overtime. If you can't find a S&W Model 63 Kit gun the Ruger is a VG 2nd choice.

Take Care

Bpb
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    S&W M17-2 with 3 T's, engagement gift from my late wife 50 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have to say my S&W Model 18...
    John D

NRA Endowment Member

I've a Colt Official Police that can behead a hopping flea and is smooth as a cashmere codpiece.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    #1. S&W Model 617 HB. I use for off season PPC practice. I replaced the front and rear sight blades to allow a 50yd “neck-hold”. That is until .22lr became “unobtanium”.

#2. S&W Mod 34 2” Kit Gun. With good ammo, easily THE most accurate S&W I own. In Wyoming in 2009 I nailed a rough grouse through the throat at 41yds. Buddy I was hunting with was working part time at a resort restaurant as a sous-chef. He cooked the Roughed Grouse and two Blue grouse I’d shot with the 617. Best wild fowl I’ve ever eaten!

#3. Heritage Arms .22/.22wrm convertible w6”bbl/adjustable sights. Not as accurate as S&W’s but fun to shoot! Decent trigger and usable accuracy. I could by 5 for what an S&W costs. It’s now my carry along beater... weights little more than the little M34.

#4. Ruger RS-6”. No explanation needed. It shoots and feeds any standard or high velocity ammo. Sight was drifted decades ago to hit POA/POI.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Mine has been great, ignoring the trigger pull. It will improve overtime. If you can't find a S&W Model 63 Kit gun the Ruger is a VG 2nd choice.

Take Care

Bpb
    Thanks, I'll see if the fun store can get me one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Moderator Emeritus

"Fun to shoot with" answers with a 4 5/8" barreled Colt Frontier Scout (1968 vintage) .22 with stag grips! Re highest score on target goes to my six shot S&W 617 with 6" barrel, TT, & TH. But, just for a shoot-the-can at camp... that Colt pretty much seems to be the revolver I grab for.
    geo

Boolit Buddy

Another vote for the S&W model 63 with 4 inch barrel. I bought mine new in 1978, then sold it to my friend's brother. He let me buy it back. It has taken many grouse and rabbits. It also shoots very small groups on paper. I only shoot standard velocity ammo through it. I have widened the rear sight so I can see the front sight clearly again, which helps tremendously in aiming.

Boolit Bub
    1953 22/32 kit gun. Improved I frame semi target hammer&trigger, 4" barrel. Shoots as good or better than my M17-2

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have owned a number of 22 revolvers over the years but not what I would call "expensive" models.

Right now, the only one I have is a Vintage 1970s Ruger Super Bearcat. I kept it because of the size and it's about the only handgun that I can get my wife to shoot.

My primary use for a 22 revolver was for taking care of critters on the farm and I like a revolver as it will take anything from a CB cap thru a long trifle. Two that I had were an H & R and a Heritage RR - both did the job but certainly not like a S & W, etc.

I have several semi-autos but with shortages/high 22 ammo prices, I just don't shoot them. If I could find a decent Ruger single six at a fair price, I would snap it up as I have always wanted one.

Boolit Master
    s&w k22 or ruger stainless single 6 convertiable.

Boolit Grand Master

You said most fun not most accurate so My Single Six with the 22LR and Mag cylinders is hands down the funnest.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Bub
    I not expensive but I love my Taurus 94. It’s got a heavy double action pull but it is accurate. I’ve hit steel at 100 yards with it and routinely shoot squirrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    My 4" 617 has been my go to for a very long time. I bet I would like a 6" as well, but have no experience. I've had a number of ruger .22 revolvers and never got what I thought was good accuracy. They never seem to stay around for too long.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by "Spoon" View Post
    I not expensive but I love my Taurus 94. It’s got a heavy double action pull but it is accurate. I’ve hit steel at 100 yards with it and routinely shoot squirrels.

The Tarus is a good little gun. I just gave one to my granddaughter. It is accurate, as you say.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    The Tarus is a good little gun. I just gave one to my granddaughter. It is accurate, as you say.
    You are starting her off right. The double action pull is super heavy but I have never had any light strikes. The single action trigger is nice.

Boolit Master
    S&W 17 6" is the most fun revolver but I really prefer one of my 3 Ruger MKI Target pistols.

Boolit Bub
    This post was originally about revolvers, but since you mentioned the Ruger MK pistols, I had a MKII with a bull barrel, which was absolutely the most accurate gun I've ever seen. It shot like a laser. Too heavy to carry though, a great range gun.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast