MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rifle or handgun...

Boolit Buddy
    Why choose? If that magnum piece works for 4-legged critters it should work equally well for the 2-legged variety.

Nothing says 'get outa my face' better than a 2-foot fireball and an equally impressive shockwave launching 1/2 oz of lead downrange with enough energy to lift the lead critter off the ground. One shot from that magnum will give a small crowd reason to pause and discuss who will assume the now-vacated position of leader. Considering the price of primers, it just seems more efficient.

By coincidence, a 44 mag with SWC's is my nightstand gun. And wouldn't ya know it, the one time I could have used it to defend against a black bear coming through the door I was out of the country and not able to have it with me.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't often venture into bear country....but when I do I have Dos Equis Seriously...I'll offer my experience.... If I'm hiking in heavy black bear country I carry bear spray along with my SW M629 4" (heavy solid high bhn). The spray first to discourage/delay the bear, the other is obvious. I have also toyed with taking my .50 GI(1911 type) with 300 TMJ FP.
    If I were to go into grizzly or especially polar bear areas I would take my Marlin 45-70 with monolithic slugs or a 12 GA with Brenneke (sp) slugs. Unfortunately I can't afford trips to the BIG bear country.
    I actually used the bear spray once.....on a domestic Angus bull....very angry fellow...it worked well!

Boolit Buddy
    By the way feral hogs are more likely to attack you...especially in areas where game ranches have imported Russian reds.

Boolit Master

If I'm camping around bear or Hogs I have at minimum a 357 Magnum and probably a 44 magnum if not a 454 Casull but I like my 44 Magnums better 44 special would even be a good compromise if I have a long gun with me it's going to be something huge either 12 gauge or Safari caliber

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    Im just curious that the first instinct is to put out "carry a shotgun/rifle/bearspray" when someone with a bit of nerve issues in wrists and hands talks about a handgun for bear defense.

Are these folks who have actually managed to go around the back 40 all day with a long gun held in their hands and managed to cut trees, pick berries, enjoy life? Or are they folks who realized that the long gun gets in the way non stop and prevents them from doing most things unless its put on the ground or slung over the back... and then is impossible to get out in a hurry
    As a person with physical limitations, I have learned that sometimes there are things that I may not be able to do anymore. It can be a hard thing to accept or even to admit. So the suggestions of bring a rifle or shotgun, I don't think that they were meant to put the person down or to be disrespectful, are just a reasonable suggestion. If you are going to go out where you know there are bears and you think that an interaction with a bear is more than likely, then please go prepared with something that could stop a bear and save yourself and or your family.
    If I had nerve damage, I would try a few different styles of handguns in a few calibers to see where my comfortable maximum would be. If I maxed out at a 9mm, then I would not try to convince myself that it would work very well. I have a fishing shotgun, it's a Stainless Mossberg 500 12 ga with 20" barrel, full length mag tube(8 rounds) and is equipped with a sling. It's purpose is to be slung over your shoulder and carried on your back to keep your hands free. No it is not terribly comfortable. It is also not very quick to get into action at least when compared to a big bore revolver carried in a chest holster. I have no doubt that I could put a bear down with eight 3" mag slugs.
    My son has a back pack that has a scabbard for his rifle built into it. I don't remember the brand, but he can reach back and have it out in a flash. So a heavy caliber rifle would be a reasonable suggestion when parred with some adaptive equipment. How heavy of a caliber is up to the person in question to determine. I have a 338 win mag with a 20" barrel, it would probably be a good choice if the person could shoot it well. Or perhaps a Marlin Guide Gun with heavy loads might be appropriate?
    We have to learn to live within our limitations. I used to be able to hike all week in the mountains with a rifle, pistol, backpack + gear... I can not do this anymore. I have to limit myself to hunting within an hour of the truck. The last Elk I took by myself took all day to pack out. It took 7 trips and I thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time the last piece was hoisted into the back of the truck. It was the last day of the season and everybody else had gone home. I have had to admit to my self and accept that I can not do that much anymore. I haven't had to quit hunting, I just have to work within MY limitations.

So back to the question of rifle or handgun...
    I would suggest a bare minimum of 44 mag or Ruger level 45 Colt loads with 300gn+ bullets. A 475 or 500 Linebaugh would be even better. So if we can't handle the bare minimum to be safe, then take a rifle or shotgun. I'll ask my son where he bought that backpack with the scabbard in it.
    Best of luck.

Banner Sponsor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	287507

Alaska Outfitter Defends Fishermen from Raging Grizzly with 9mm Pistol Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear_9mm_inset_2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	287510

“IF” the firearm “will not” be in your hands, and you will be preoccupied with other endeavors (work, fishing, ect.) a very quickly accessible, powerful handgun is more practical! If someone else is doing the work or having the fun and you are regulated to “guard duty” ......then a larger bore rifle or a shotgun properly fueled is the ticket!

Most any (reasonable cartridge) handgun or rifle can easily dispatch an un-agitated (baits, stalked, ect) bear. However, if their adrenaline is pumped....it takes pretty serious firepower and/or a hit to the CNS to quickly put one down! JMO. memtb memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 08-15-2021 at 08:59 AM.
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    Opinion #3,467: If a teed-off grizzly bear busts out of the bush 30 yards away from you in a full charge, you are quickly going to become grizzly poo. Yes I saw the video of a guy shooting at one in a full charge and turning it away. That friends is a 1 in a zillion encounter.

If you see a bear 50 yards away and it develops an "interest" in you, you have some time to unsheathe whatever defensive tool you have brought along with you and make it ready. I would have brought along a 12 gauge pump loaded with slugs and had it handy nearby where I was working. I would then retreat if possible so as not to embarrass myself with stinky underwear if the critter decides to charge.

Yes. I am a legend in my own mind. I am also aware of what happens in an honest-to-God life and death encounter, be it human or animal.
    Carry whatever you decide to carry either on person or nearby. The larger the caliber, the better.

Boolit Bub
    Interesting data on black bear attacks. I am surprised that there hasn't been one in Massachusetts with our growing black bear population. Keep in mind this state is more urbanized and compact so there isn't a ton of room for them to roam.

Boolit Buddy
    I was reminded of this discussion the other day when our Rottweiler rushed the fence at a stray dog. WOW! Was she ever fast! Mae (Rotti) covered 25 yds in about 1 SECOND! I kid you not! Now if an overweight Rotti can react that fast, just think how much faster a bear could react. After all, a bear prob. has to rely on it's reflexes much more than a pet. I don't think anyone could react fast enough to shoot a charging bear inside 25 to 30 yds. I would at least want my firearm in hand.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    “IF” the firearm “will not” be in your hands, and you will be preoccupied with other endeavors (work, fishing, ect.) a very quickly accessible, powerful handgun is more practical! If someone else is doing the work or having the fun and you are regulated to “guard duty” ......then a larger bore rifle or a shotgun properly fueled is the ticket!

Most any (reasonable cartridge) handgun or rifle can easily dispatch an un-agitated (baits, stalked, ect) bear. However, if their adrenaline is pumped....it takes pretty serious firepower and/or a hit to the CNS to quickly put one down! JMO. memtb memtb
    This is completely right. A gun twenty five yards away, isn’t going to do much good if you need it in a hurry. I used to carry a 45/70 in Alaska. When I was working (cutting trapline) I often found myself more than a safe distance from the gun. I bought a 44 magnum to carry on me and left the 45/70 at home. I didn’t have any bear encounters at that time. However, I never felt 100% protected and eventually went back to carrying the 45/70. I’m glad I had it and not the 44 mag, later when I needed protection.
    So as you can see there is a trade off of having a high powered long gun, maybe not next to you and a lower power handgun on you. Granted, a 44 or 357 magnums should be enough to take down a black bear, but I never felt safe in Brown Bear county with one.

Boolit Master
    Whatever you have practice for it.

Wilderness defense drills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gDJ9T2lquE

Wildlife risk assessment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD8ReS-sGnY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12