Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold Suggestions?

Boolit Buddy

Mold Suggestions?

I'm wanting to acquire a mold for 270 in greater weight than what I'm finding. Most of my molds are Lee, but they don't offer anything on the heavy side. I'd like to be around 160 grains. LBT offers a 150 but I like the idea of a little more weight.

Would like to hear any and all comments, especially from those who have done the 270/cast dance.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the Accurate molds catalog. If they don’t have what you are looking for you can submit a design request. They’ll work with you to create exactly what your looking for.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Accurate has a great selection and a good web site.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php

My first thought was Accurate Mold as well. He has an extensive list in the catalog, or you can design you own! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Grand Master
    Tom will not make molds that small
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    He lists several .280 in the catalog. I’d imagine a cast boolit for 270 would be .279 sized, the 280 mold is perfect.

Boolit Buddy
    I checked out his 280 selection and there's one there that might work. It is a tapered design which im a little leary of. Also, it's 289 at the base which is a lot of sizing to do. Especially since I'll be PCing it. I'm sure that adding a gas check shank would be no problem.

Can anyone sell me on the tapered design?

Boolit Buddy
    AFAIK tapered designs aren’t meant to be sized, rather shot as cast. I’ve not really messed around with them too much, but logically, the additional number of grooves should allow for comparatively higher velocity, and still allow the boolit to grip the rifling. I’m not sure this design is really compatible with PC.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for that. It confirms my concerns about taper.

I thought about spending the dough to have LEE do it as a custom and purchase the required minimum but given the current state of the market they don't seem to be offering the service at this time.

Boolit Buddy
    If it were me, I would look to NOE or accurate for custom production. Lee at its best often leaves much to be desired.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I'm aware of the shortcomings of the Lee molds. I'm going to take a look at NOE.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longcruise View Post
    I checked out his 280 selection and there's one there that might work. It is a tapered design which im a little leary of. Also, it's 289 at the base which is a lot of sizing to do. Especially since I'll be PCing it. I'm sure that adding a gas check shank would be no problem.

Can anyone sell me on the tapered design?
    You tell him what you want the as cast diameter to be and with your alloy. He will make it for you. You will be happy.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t just look at Accurate and NOE, call them and see what they have to say. I’m sure either can probably make you the mould you need. It’s probably just a question of when and for how much.

Boolit Master
    NOE hasn't been answering his phone lately. Can't say I blame him with everyone trying to call him, myself included, to see if certain molds are being run soon. The mold makers are so far behind with the demand I wonder if they are able to consider a custom mold job at the time being. I almost hit 'Order' on the Accurate website yesterday, but have hesitated because I don't know if I want to wait 9 weeks for delivery, as indicated on the website. But what do I have to loose, no one else will be any faster, I suspect.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    What are you planning on hunting with this heavy cast boolit. I would think anything in your 150 gr would do just fine being the 270 is listed at 1x10 rifling. Regardless of the length of the boolit it is still a 270 hole.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Over the years I've picked up #280473, #280468 and #280642 for a .27 caliber cast project. And there's an ancient Lee design. Don't have a #280412. Right now I'm getting ready to cast samples to determine what the bore riding portions' diameters are. The width and number of lands could get to be pretty darn important. The reason I'm bringing that up is my thinking that with a .277 barrel, long boolits and fast twists the fit is going to have less tolerance for bad fits, for sloppiness, than would many other combinations.
    Any how, that's something I'd been puzzling over.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    What are you planning on hunting with this heavy cast boolit. I would think anything in your 150 gr would do just fine being the 270 is listed at 1x10 rifling. Regardless of the length of the boolit it is still a 270 hole.
    Reckon .27 would work fine for me but then I'd have a hole in my bucket.

Boolit Master
    At that range I think a pellet rifle might get the job done.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    Up to and including elk. I've been thinking along the same lines. However, the 160 and a 150 as well as a 130 probably have equal max velocities that can be achieved with a powder coat. That may be an incorrect assumption. I'm not sure because this will be my first foray into rifle and cast over 30-30 velocities. Under that assumption, a 160 would seem to be a better choice �� looking at this with an open mind so consider that a question.

Boolit Master
    Accurate or LBT is as good as you can buy if you are willing to spend the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast