Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Information

Boolit Master

Information

Are reflex sights worth the time and cost to get? have been thinking about getting one to use while doing short range load testing.

They are for me - I've been using various reflex sights ever since the Optima 2000 was introduced, many years ago.

They are available with two different dot sizes, one larger than the other, which might have a bearing on the use it's put to (I only hunt with them)
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I've had reflex sights on Ruger MK pistols for years.

I've got red dots on a couple of centerfire pistols and all my AR pistols now
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I just installed one on my 45-70 Henry from midway $50.00 and zeroed in 6 shots. Ran out of boolits, made 20 more 350 gr light loads and will test this weekend. Was wondering if it would take the recoil. Time and range time will tell, so far so good.

Price goes up from there as high as $350, this one has 5 different levels of brightness, red or green color and 4 different shapes dot to + with circle.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Have a Fastfire III on Ruger 22/45, makes hitting quite a bit easier, wife really likes it. My older pistols are not setup for them(without cutting) or I would have a few more. I would not buy a newe rpistol that was not already cut for one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would not use one to test loads for a rifle unless accuracy was not that important....like say on a High Point carbine. On my lever action rifles I mount a scope for load testing even if I will be using iron sights. I good peep sight works too.

Not many folks are good enough with a pistol, so using a dot sight works well enough. Much easier IMO than using iron sights.
    Don Verna

Funny how as we grow older in life that anything is better than iron sights.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I tend to use scopes on hand guns if there is any way to mount them. I have a CMore systems on a Browning Buckmark which works good enough for anything but rapid fire. I can't get it on target near as fast as open sights. Scopes are the same though.

I have a couple of Sight Mark reflex sights. One is mounted on a Ruger Redhawk in 44. I do not shoot a lot of magnum loads through this gun but I do shoot a lot of light loads through it. At least once a month we have a 2x4 shoot at the club I belong to in which I will shoot between 100 to 150 rounds during the shoot. The Sight Mark has held up well. Only thing I recommend is make sure you get the ones that use only one battery. They have some that use 3 batteries that like to shut off while shooting.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Funny how as we grow older in life that anything is better than iron sights.

Slim
    I got myself an el cheapo Firefield red/green relex sight - everybody and his coon dog make the same one under different brand names. One local gun shop had them for $49, but I had another gunshop order me one for $37. I use it on a 38/357 10" TC barrel. Works good. One note the manual does not say how to turn the dern thing off. My cousin suggested I turn the dial to either R or G rather than one of the intensity numbers. That works.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post

I got myself an el cheapo Firefield red/green relex sight

One note the manual does not say how to turn the dern thing off.

If it came with a form-fitting plastic hood, the sight automatically shuts off when the hood is set in place on the sight.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    A huge advantage to a reflex is how it deals with astigmatism. A regular red dot lets me see just a big blob- a reflex is crystal clear!
    Loren

Boolit Master
    ive got a Burris fast fire and like it a lot. it stays zeroed and target acquisition it fantastic. it is currently on a 10-22 but I wouldn't have a problem with it on any firearm

I remember when I first got it, opening the package and thinking to myself, "this thing is a joke" but it is no joke it really great targeting sight for a gun.

my next firearm optic will probably be a vortex spitfire.

I got a cheap knockoff of the fast fire on clearance sale at at Walmart a few years ago and that thing is a joke, it belongs in trash can, total waste of $30. stick to the top quality stuff like Burris, leupold, vortex and you won't regret it.
    Last edited by farmbif; 08-08-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Boolit Master

My guess is that beyond 25 yards you would be better off with a scope.