Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: What is BE-86?

Boolit Bub

What is BE-86?

Anyone using it? Liking it ? Is it an updated Bullseye replacement?

I thought it was a more modern Bullseye, but more reading seemed it indicate not.
    Appreciate hearing about experiences.

THX
    LouB

Boolit Buddy
    I ran in to BE-86 when working on a load for a 45 ACP in a blow back UZI it liked the +P loads but I'm not buying factory jacketed +P ammo . BE-86 is listed for +P loads .

The load that runs flawlessly and accurate in the UZI is x.3 grains BE-86 200 grain Lee cast at 1209 FPS with a 16 inch barrel this load I do not use in any of my 45 ACP pistols .

I really would like a 45 ACP round I could run in all the 45 ACP guns I have . Power Pistol is another powder that I have heard that may be some what like BE-86.

I use BE-86 for my .45acp A bit sooty but works great in my PT 24/7.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    My understanding is it's basically a version of Unique that is more suitable for handgun use. I have no idea why it was needed.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    It is very close to Unique, faster than Power Pistol, but meters well and with a flash suppressant and easy ignition.

Boolit Mold
    BE-86 is what I got to replace the CANADIAN made Hodgdon Universal. That stuff was junk! I read a lot of stuff on a lot of powders and asked some questions before deciding on BE-86. I use it in my 44 mag and it is for plinking loads. I loaded up 7.0, 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5 gr. all with a MBC Cowboy #13 HyTek 240gr boolit. BE-86 meters as smoothly as any powder I have tried and is very consistent. The groups that I was shooting where 1/3 the size of comparable loads of Universal. My load that I liked the best was 7.0gr. Great powder.

Boolit Master
    I'm a big fan of be-86, I think its a great powder very versatile, I've used it in all the pistol calibers that I reload with cast bullets. its really shines for top velocity 9mm and 40 s&w. it does leave some soot but no where near what 4227 does but what powder doesn't leave some soot.
    I also put together top velocity 38 spl loads for my antique s&w--top velocity and pressure still within 38 spl standards won't tear the old gun up.

I just really like it. great velocity and accuracy in 41 mag, and 1lb goes a long way, maybe not as far as bullseye but it is on burn rate chart between unique and universal. Its one of the newer powders that I bought into when it first came out and glad I did with this one. I'll keep the unique and universal as back up and shotgun if I run out of be86.
    just my opinion your results may vary

Boolit Buddy
    BE-86 was developed for 9mm Luger.

Edit: as you were. Power Pistol was developed for 9mm. Its original name was BE-84 before it was released as a canister powder. CRS...
    Last edited by Tim357; 08-10-2021 at 12:11 AM. Reason: CRS

I have also found BE-86 works very well in 380 . ( My favorite powder for 380)

Boolit Master
    I just started experimenting with BE-86 in 9mm and +P .45 auto. Far less muzzle flash than Power Pistol, and much more consistent for me than Unique. As others have said, it meters very well and has a flash suppressant, and my own experience shows the flash suppressant is very effective.

After using BE-86, I'll never buy Unique again if I can help it.

It has a flash retardant which cuts the muzzle flash noticeably from other powders I 've used. It works well in my self defense loads for 9mm Luger, 380 acp, makarov.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 09-01-2021 at 10:38 PM.