Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 45-70 pure lead

Boolit Buddy

45-70 pure lead

I would like to use a 45-70 H&R for deer hunting this fall and have a question. I have a 405 grain Lee mold and would like to get some expansion out of the boolit so I want to try pure lead with powder coating. Would this work or will I have problems? Thanks to all for your help.

Gunauthor

Boolit Master
    I shoot the Lee 405 hollow base powder coated with either pure lead or a 30 to 1 lead tin in my trapdoor and is a very accurate bullet. At trapdoor level loads it will kill pretty much anything in North America.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it a gas check mould ? I have shot many many 40-1 lead/pewter cast out of my Sharps and 1886 Miroku / Winchester with the RCBS 405 gas checked design up to 1370 fps with no leading problems also the 325 FN U plain base mould same alloy / powder coated but no gas check to 1300 again with good accuracy and no adverse leading.

Try it out what could possibly go wrong !

PC done/cured properly, shouldn't be any problem.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...re-Lead-amp-PC

Boolit Master
    I have fired PC pure lead at 1200 fps and range scrap, about a 10 bhn, at 3500+with no issues. As long as you get a good coating and properly cure I don't see a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I have fired PC pure lead at 1200 fps and range scrap, about a 10 bhn, at 3500+with no issues. As long as you get a good coating and properly cure I don't see a problem.
    Is the 3500+ correct or a mistype?

Boolit Master

When I got my Marlin I had some cast Lee 405 .459 H.B. on hand for my old Springfield 1884 they cast at .461 the groove depth of that gun.
    I powder coated them with the wet method (a little acetone added to powder bullets rolled in it until it sticks as solvent evaporates) I sized them quite a bit to .457 my Marlin has .4575 groove depth they shot under 2" at 100 yards loaded to 1905 fps average. They were quite soft but not pure lead.
    I then got a Lee 340 mold for that gun casting from pure lead and powder coating they shoot very well at average of 2168 f/s . They expand in water I have not recovered one from any critter . 100 yard groups of 1.5" IMR 3031 powder .
    Good luck with your journey I love the 45-70 I do not need the energy level I load the Marlin at but it is nice to have the 405 at 1150 f/s has taken my largest buck from the old model 1884.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

OH NO I KILLED ANOTHER THREAD!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.