Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo cans with desicant for molds

Boolit Master
    I was looking at the Armor CF33 emitters and thinking wouldn't these be good for the gun safe? Has anyone done this? And has anyone purchased from them? I do not see a price list anywhere and when I asked for a download of the product info it would not give it to me without a business name in addition to my name. I used my old auto business name but some do not have this option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I was looking at the Armor CF33 emitters and thinking wouldn't these be good for the gun safe? Has anyone done this? And has anyone purchased from them? I do not see a price list anywhere and when I asked for a download of the product info it would not give it to me without a business name in addition to my name. I used my old auto business name but some do not have this option.
    Amazon has 4 of them for $78 and change. I read they are good for 2 years and then throw them away. That seems a bit on the expensive side to me.

Denny

Little tip from an old-school prepper - wash out the jars that Smuckers Natural peanut butter comes in. They seal up so tight that even acetone doesn't escape. I started using them for long-term storing of salt, but then dumped a quantity of Ed's Red into some a few years back. The acetone is still there. Place a few moulds (or whatever) in one with a tab of VCI paper and close it down tight.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    uscra112,
    Thanks for that bit of info!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master

I do this with desiccant bags. I never oiul molds and have not had any rust issues in 45 years. I don't have to unwrap to find the mold I want.

Boolit Grand Master

I store all my molds in this exact manner. I've got 3 ammo cans, one rifle, one pistol, and one shotgun. I'm getting to where I should probably add a 4th. When I'm done casting, and the mold cools down, I give a quick spray with whatever lubricant is handy, PB blaster, or whatever, makes no difference. Just a quick spritz on the sprue plate and alignment pins, as most of my mold blocks are aluminum. A lot of them I remove the handles, some I don't, then stack in the ammo can. Each can has a small bag of desiccant. The desiccant is from a special absorbent kitty litter, not the normal chalky stuff. It was like $5 for a 5 pound bag. I then pour a little into a small mesh bag, which I remember finding in the jewelry section of all places for dirt cheap. I don't even recall the price, it was very low for 100 pack. Maybe $5.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I get the small silica packs from new boxes with light fixtures, ceiling fans , prescription meds, etc. 15 seconds in the microwave dehydrates them. Work real good in ammo cans. I still spray down the molds with WD40 before they go in the can.
    This is exactly what I do. Learned this from my dad and I havent had an issue yet from storing anything. Have you had any issue?

Boolit Master

Charcoal and pantyhose hose work great to.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Rice may work, but silica gel desiccant packs can e found cheap. If you are storing for an extended period of time, maybe you want to wrap them in something. Otherwise, spray them down with a light oil and keep in an airtight container with desiccant packs.

One negative to rice is that you may get the dread meal moth. I've had it happen in a gamma-sealed bucket that had never been opened after the original filling.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12