Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got me a Taurus G3C

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I did chrono 8 shots, they are clocking 918.8 fps average out of the G3C. So we are basically getting .38 Special +P power level here. The Glock 26 gets around 950 with this load, the Glock 19 around 980. The Taurus has the shortest barrel of the 3 which I'm sure impacts it as well. Gonna try the Arsenal 358-130-RF in it next. Also going to try the Lee 356-120-TC as cast with a coat of LLA.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Been shooting the Taurus more this week and it really likes the Lee 122 grain bullets. Groups open up with the heavier slugs and the same powder charge, maybe more powder would help. Given that it shoots so good with the Lee slugs I see no reason to worry about it. Another thing I like about this pistol is that it seems to strike primers with authority. I have been using a hard batch of old Remington 1.5 primers that produce light strikes in my other guns and the Taurus sets them off every time. For under three bills I think the G3C is a winner.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Picked up a Taurus G3C yesterday, for a sub-300.00 pistol I'm quite impressed. Comes with 3 mags, Glock sight compatible, and trigger pull is quite competent. Took it out for a test drive and it is dead on with factory 115 grain FMJ. Tried my usual 3.8 grains HP-38/.357 134 grain RNFP load that my Glocks like and accuracy was not as good, also saw some mild leading in the barrel. Function was 100% with either load though. Upon cleaning I found this thing has a really tight throat. I recently bought a bunch of Berry's .357 plated truncated cone slugs and they chamber just fine in my Glocks OEM and Storm Lake barrels even seating them out really far, like 1.070. I found that they have to be seated to where the case mouth is even with the beginning of the ogive for them to chamber in the Taurus, like 1.005, which sounds like a recipe for high pressure to me.

Factory rounds chamber no problemo so I think this is just how these guns are made and the accuracy is quite good. So, should I ship the barrel off to Doug Guy for some of his magic? Or try a few hundred jacketed slugs to see if it will break in. I'm planning to use exclusively lead and plated in this pistol.
    Most of my shooting students buy the G3C. It is an excellent gun. Seems to be well built and will fit in a ladies purse. Shoots everything I have seen shot through it even cheap TulAmmo. It does needed to be oiled every now and then but then so does every other polymer gun.

ACC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Most of my shooting students buy the G3C. It is an excellent gun. Seems to be well built and will fit in a ladies purse. Shoots everything I have seen shot through it even cheap TulAmmo. It does needed to be oiled every now and then but then so does every other polymer gun.

ACC
    Yep, I think they are pretty good guns. A lot of folks have some very strong opinions on Taurus products, and for good reason.

But, it's like car manufacturers; every manufacturer has at least one great model and one absolute lemon.

I have a low regard for GM products as my experience and those of millions of other customers has been less than impressive. But, my 2007 HHR has 212,000 miles on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil, everything still works, and it's still pretty tight and rattle-free.

My brother bought a Honda CR-V and had nothing but trouble with it and now swears off all Hondas and traded it in on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I think the G2c and G3c are the rare gems of the Taurus lineup.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

The G2 and G3 are descended from the original Millenium Pro. Taurus has been refining the design for years. These guns and the Taurus snub .38's are their best products.

Gave the Taurus more exercise yesterday and it is still doing good. This is one of those pistols that will really punish you for a poor trigger pull. Gradually squeeze like you are supposed to and its a laser beam. Jerk it and you're all over the place. I have arthritis and a bit of essential tremor, so this gun really encourages me to use proper technique. The squishy trigger of a Glock is more forgiving in this regard.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking today about
    getting another one !

They go on sale again and I probably will get another one. A functional compact pistol in a common cartridge is always a useful thing to have.

Boolit Master

They go on sale again and I probably will get another one. A functional compact pistol in a common cartridge is always a useful thing to have.
    Definitely! I was hoping they would offer the G3 in .40 S&W with a stainless slide. I would jump on one of those for under $300.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I was looking at the G2C in 40 just before the G3C came out.

You post prompted me to look again.

There seem to be a few G2C 40s out there and they seem to be going for less than the G3C.

I really don't think this gun is up to the beating that the .40 would give it, just my opinion.

Boolit Master

I really don't think this gun is up to the beating that the .40 would give it, just my opinion.
    What areas concern you? I haven't heard of any of the G2c .40 S&W models failing. Of course, never looked for them.

Just my own unscientific opinion about my own G3C. It just doesnt "feel" like it would be up for it. The plastic of the frame seems more brittle than others, and might crack. Also, I think the rails are not a part of the frame but pinned in place. Seems to me that a hard recoiling cartridge would eventually break the pins.

Boolit Master

Just my own unscientific opinion about my own G3C. It just doesnt "feel" like it would be up for it. The plastic of the frame seems more brittle than others, and might crack. Also, I think the rails are not a part of the frame but pinned in place. Seems to me that a hard recoiling cartridge would eventually break the pins.
    Seems reasonable. I don't trust the Taurus engineers as much as the Glock engineers, and they had issues with their early .40 S&W pistols.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I've had the same luck with my Taurus G2c. Acceptable at 10 yards and under, but opens up to around 4" at 25 yards. Still don't regret buying it brand new for under $200. Not a bad little pistol.
    Hang a paper plate out and shoot at that. Good center of mass sized target.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ompact-pistol/

The new GX4 has poor accuracy like my G3C. But they are not " Target Guns".

2" @ 7 yards. https://flic.kr/p/2myFQnd
    Last edited by 243winxb; 10-08-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Having compared the two side by side, I would rather have a G3C. The GX4 costs $100.00 more and is just barely smaller. Also it's a new design, and there are probably going to be some bugs in it.

Still shooting the G3C and loving it. Accuracy has gotten much better as I have become accustomed to the trigger. The single action pull is pretty crisp, which I am not used to in a handgun. Gave it some exercise today before work with Arsenal 358-130-RF/3.8 grains HP-38 and Lee 356-120-TC/3.5 Bullseye. With the Lee boolit load, the G3C will put them all in one hole at 10 yards, the Arsenal load is not far behind. Really impressed with this gun and may add the new G3XL to the battery at some point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12