WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Buy Small Quantities of Small Shot?

Boolit Buddy

Where to Buy Small Quantities of Small Shot?

Hello folks,

I'm interested in trying homemade shotshells in a couple more of my revolvers (and maybe a .45ACP 1911). I've had good luck with .45 Colt loads using two gas checks, but would like to branch out. LOL. Is there a good place to get small quantities (like 3-5 lbs.) of #9 and #12 shot?

Thank you,
    Regan
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Master
    ive got 9s if you want some

Boolit Buddy

Thank you very much, Turtlezx, PM sent.

Put a WTB ad in S&S there is probably another member that has what you need.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Sporting good stores sometimes have weight vests, and those weights may be lead shot. Same goes for ankle weights and so on. Late manufacture are probably NOT lead due to environmental concerns, but a few years ago it was not uncommon.

BDGR

Boolit Master
    i dont know if bpi still does the 1 lb in the fine stuff. they did . they also had 5lb in the small stuff

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, everyone, for the help and the suggestions. Turtlezx fixed me up wth some #9, I'll keep my eye on the ads or may post a WTB for the #12.

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    i dont know if bpi still does the 1 lb in the fine stuff. they did . they also had 5lb in the small stuff
    Good suggestion, and actually the first place I thought to check. But it looks like the smallest quantity they sell now is 11-lb. bags, unless I'm completely missing a page/tab somewhere. Hmmm, how long would it take me to shoot up 11 lbs. of #12 shot in a .32 H&R?

Thanks again!
    Regan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    Hello folks,

I'm interested in trying homemade shotshells in a couple more of my revolvers (and maybe a .45ACP 1911). I've had good luck with .45 Colt loads using two gas checks, but would like to branch out. LOL. Is there a good place to get small quantities (like 3-5 lbs.) of #9 and #12 shot?

Thank you,
    Regan
    I break open some of my shotgun shells (7.5 shot) and use that.
    How many shot shells will you actually need/use?
    A couple of shotgun shells will give you enough shot for ten or so shot shells.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I break open some of my shotgun shells (7.5 shot) and use that.
    How many shot shells will you actually need/use?
    A couple of shotgun shells will give you enough shot for ten or so shot shells.
    Good idea, thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    Hello folks,

Thank you,
    Regan
    I too had this dilema.
    I have a BiMart or Walmart nearby.
    I realized that each box of 25 12 gauge shells had over a pound of shot in them.
    I was able to get the shots I wanted via these low cost shotshells (<$7.00)

You have to make a lot of shotshells to use up the shot in just one box. I harvested from the shells one day and have not gone back to them for more yet.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsknife View Post
    I too had this dilema.
    I have a BiMart or Walmart nearby.
    I realized that each box of 25 12 gauge shells had over a pound of shot in them.
    I was able to get the shots I wanted via these low cost shotshells (<$7.00)

You have to make a lot of shotshells to use up the shot in just one box. I harvested from the shells one day and have not gone back to them for more yet.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I just bought 11 pounds of #11 from Ballistic Products. Will offer to share when it gets here. Probably a week from now. Remind me if I forget.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

Uscra112, that would be great if you don't mind. I've eyed those small bags at Ballistics Products several times, but since they're 11-pound minimum I felt I would never use more than a small portion of that, and so it would be wasted. #11 shot seems to be a good compromise for smaller cartridges.

I'll send you a PM shortly. Thank you!

Boolit Buddy

Thank you!

Uscra112, that would be great if you don't mind. I've eyed those small bags at Ballistics Products several times, but since they're 11-pound minimum I felt I would never use more than a small portion of that, and so it would be wasted. #11 shot seems to be a good compromise for smaller cartridges.

I'll send you a PM shortly. Thank you!
    No trouble at all. I'll probably never use up even a pound of it. The rest I can parcel out.

I've been using #7, salvaged from old shotshells, but my purposes really need much finer shot. Would have looked at Ballistic Products much sooner if I'd had my wits about me. Not like I haven't ordered from them before.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

Sage's sells in 3lb bags #4 to #9 shot

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/6-magnum-lead-shot/

Boolit Master

I bought a box of 12 ga shot shells with #9 shot and broke them down. That’s a lot of snake loads.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Back before the current component shortage CHEAPERTHAN Dirt offered either 3 or 5 pound bags of #12's. It was expensive and shipping added quite a bit to the cost. In the mid 1980's I belonged to a private range in California and one of the members of the club would make a run to Nevada (?) with a trailer and buy shot for the trap shooters. At the time they offered 25# bags of #12 occasionally. Four of use went together and bought a sack to use for pistol shot shells. I still have some of those #12's all these years later.

#11 and #12 shot really work great with much denser patterns than larger shot in my experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast