Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: NOE 3 cavity Magma blocks, anyone use these

Boolit Mold

NOE 3 cavity Magma blocks, anyone use these

NOE 3 cavity Magma blocks does anyone have experience with these.
    is it worth it. paying NOE to machine and buying the blank.
    does anyone besides Magma produce blanks?
    could I get away with using aluminum??
    I would like to try this on a magma master caster. would be 9mm 147+ grain
    any input is appreciated.
    Thank you
    -Ken

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...a-sprue-plate/

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-magma-blocks/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5818.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	287071

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5817.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	287072
    Last edited by cabinarms; 08-08-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Accurate molds is another place to get blanks. I don’t think aluminum would hold up very good on a master caster.
    One other thing is that I have never seen a 3 hole lead pour plate for the master caster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Jhopson View Post
    One other thing is that I have never seen a 3 hole lead pour plate for the master caster
    From the look of that sprue plate, he's asking the Magma's two holes to pool and be distributed by the plate. Might work at just the right temperature?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPistolero View Post
    From the look of that sprue plate, he's asking the Magma's two holes to pool and be distributed by the plate. Might work at just the right temperature?
    Yes, I assume that is the intention of the sprue plate. the way that it is milled out should allow the third (middle) cavity to fill?

From experience, I've found that unless the pour is directly into the hole in the sprue cutter, there will be wrinkles and voids in the bullets. You'll probably get good bullets from the two cavities directly under the holes in the pour spout, but rejects from the "overflow" cavity.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    difference between aluminum and iron is ductility (heat transfer) and longevity (life of mold) an iron mold takes a little longer to heat up, and takes longer to cool, but will produce well over 1,000,000 consistant projectiles when properly taken care of.
    An aluminum mold takes less time to evenly heat up, and less time to cool, but will produce much less projectiles then an iron mold during it's life span.
    Almost all my hand casting molds are Aluminum, but my Magma Master Caster molds are all iron.
    NOE has a long back order but is reasonably priced especially on multiple molds of the same design
    Magma is more expensive but makes excellent molds
    Accurate makes good molds, only drawback is that they do not produce conical round nose projectiles
    In the end it is your choice, if you have the mold, put it in your master caster and look at the results. then you will have hard evidence. let us know how it works.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    From experience, I've found that unless the pour is directly into the hole in the sprue cutter, there will be wrinkles and voids in the bullets. You'll probably get good bullets from the two cavities directly under the holes in the pour spout, but rejects from the "overflow" cavity.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Yes, this is one of the assumptions I fear. spending money on this and being a disappointing effort.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ulk77more View Post
    difference between aluminum and iron is ductility (heat transfer) and longevity (life of mold) an iron mold takes a little longer to heat up, and takes longer to cool, but will produce well over 1,000,000 consistant projectiles when properly taken care of.
    An aluminum mold takes less time to evenly heat up, and less time to cool, but will produce much less projectiles then an iron mold during it's life span.
    Almost all my hand casting molds are Aluminum, but my Magma Master Caster molds are all iron.
    NOE has a long back order but is reasonably priced especially on multiple molds of the same design
    Magma is more expensive but makes excellent molds
    Accurate makes good molds, only drawback is that they do not produce conical round nose projectiles
    In the end it is your choice, if you have the mold, put it in your master caster and look at the results. then you will have hard evidence. let us know how it works.
    I do have one aluminum 9mm mold for the master caster. and yet to try it. maybe soon if time permits.
    same here, almost all the hand casting molds are aluminum.
    most all for the M.C. is iron. and some of those not even used. probably should just sell off to replace with ones I will use.

I very much appreciate the advice, ideas, comments. I would still like to try the idea but a little less inclined now. (3 cavity mold)
    Thank you,
    -Ken