Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Info on Marlin - Ballard

Boolit Mold

Info on Marlin - Ballard

I just added my first Ballard to my single shot collection and would like some info on it. It is a 3 line JM MARLIN NEW HAVEN but the R is replaced with "P" PAT Feb 9, 1875 and below "BALLARD'S PATENT Nov 5 1861" it is a ring lever falling block 22 lr with a heavy octagon bbl. serial # 1594 Any info appreciated. I can't get photos loaded.

Boolit Master
    I believe that it is a #3 Gallery Rifle if it is chambered in 22 RF. I don't think there is a serial number lookup like Colt or Winchester (I believe that the records were destroyed or lost). Other than that, not much I can add without photos.

p.s. it's actually quite simple, click on the Photos, Files icon below your post and it will walk you through it.
    Hope that helps, I look forward to seeing the rifle!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    If Vall the Marlin guy doesn’t chime in soon, you might try posting this again in the Single Shots section if this site. I can tell you that is a fairly early receiver based on the serial number. I can’t remember ever seeing a 22 with a ring lever… and I’ve looked for one! Have you had it apart to see whether the SNs match? They should be the same on the breech block, butt stock, butt plate, fore end, and barrel. Quite a few Ballards were used to build target 22s from their time of production all the way up to the 1940s and ‘50s. How is the barrel marked?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Froggie, Thanks for your reply. Val responded and I sent pics to him. They would not go thru this server - too big. I am an old guy-not to good on computers. I can send pics to your email if you provide it. No markings on the bbl and I have not taken it apart. Its in good shape and shoots well. I think it is an original bbl as the fore end with the metal insert fits the bbl perfectly.

SWTEBAY Thanks for your reply. I will also send pics to your email

Boolit Grand Master
    Cool. I'm just a dilettante when it comes to Ballards. Anything I could tell you, Vall can tell you better and more accurately. I will say that I am in possession of a "Franken-Ballard" that is a total mashup of parts I found and had assembled. It too is a 22, but the barrel was first installed on another Ballard, probably back in the Fifties by an Ohio gunsmith. It's round and heavy!! My stock was from one of the current makers, and I haven't gotten around to installing a fore end yet. My only "original" Ballard is a Pacific (aka #5) with a very heavy barrel chambered in 40-90. All it needs is a carriage and it would be a great field piece.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"