RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Crimp grove size

Crimp grove size

I have an NOE 44 cal 280gr 2 cavity bullet mold. It drops it's bullets right at 280 gr from my scrap WW. Bullets drop from the mold at .434. I then PC & size thru my .430 sizer. This sizing swedges the driving bands & narrows the crimp grove considerably. I am not confident , even with a heavy crimp, or what crimp I can get , that the bullet will be held in place during recoil in my revolver. Can the crimp grove in the mold be enlarged by about .005 in depth & with? The bullet is wonderfully accurate & drops from the mold easily, so am hesitant to sell & replace with a new slightly smaller dia mold. BAttachment 287068Attachment 287069 Bullet at the left is the 280 gr, & bullet to the right is another of my 44 cal with , as you can see a much more generous crimp grove. If all else fails I may sell.

Boolit Master

I would shoot some sample batches and see what happens. Unless you are running some extremely hot loads, I don't think you will have a problem. I personally think many people overdo crimping.

I'm shooting this 280gr bullet right at 1100 fps from my Ruger Redhawk 44 revolver. So, recoil is not sever, but recoil for sure is there. Just worried at some point this bullet could move. Things like that happen , always at the worst times. I'm just not comfortable with the shallow crimp.

If you have an inertia type bullet puller, put one of your loaded rounds in it and give it a few "whacks".

I think you'll find that they will be difficult to dislodge. A good "whack' on a solid surface would be more punishment than recoil (I think).

Worth a try anyway.
    Henry

The mould is a negative copy of the boolit, so to increase the depth of the groove you would have to add on material in the mould.

That's right!! "Material would have to be added". Well that takes care of that. Guess I will have to purchase a mold with different specs. A bullet that drops at closer to .430. Sell this one & reorder ....

Boolit Master
    since it is a .44, another option is the lee collet-type crimping die. Normally not available for handgun calibers, but does come in .357 and .44
    Loren

Boolit Buddy
    That's one of my biggest complaints with NOE molds, its as if the crimp groove was an afterthought. You might take a look at Accurate molds, Tom will cut a mold to your specs, and he will alter an existing design to fit your needs.

The hard part about it for me is , the bullet shoots so accurately.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't read if there was a problem. How do you know if the grooves are too small? Load some up shoot some and see if any jump crimp. Sometimes we search for a solution before we have a problem...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Looks to me like you have enough crimp groove , look at the cannelure on a jacketed bullet .
    In a revolver the worst that would happen (assuming you have proper case neck tension ) is the bullet would jump crimp and tie up the gun.
    Test them and see if you have a problem.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    To prevent groove collapse, about the only thing that can be done is to lube the bullet with a standard lube before sizing. Hydraulics will prevent them from collapsing.
    Careful die adjustment can also permit you to force the brass into the lead somewhat.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Set your roll crimp properly and try them. I don't think they will move.

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Set your roll crimp properly and try them. I don't think they will move.
    What he said.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I've had roll crimps press the brass into the side of a hard lead bullet, something like 18bhn. No crimp groove but the crimp worked.

[QUOTE=rockshooter;5237657]since it is a .44, another option is the lee collet-type crimping die. Normally not available for handgun calibers, but does come in .357 and .44
    Loren[/Q
    After researching this Lee collet type crimping die . I will give it a try. They apparently can form their own crimp groove if needed, Even if no grove is there. Looks like an easy fix. Again I want to say how impressed with how accurate this 280gr 44 cal NOE bullet is.