Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliable squib loads; How low can you go?

Boolit Grand Master

I also do not advise the use of any wad or filler with these very light loads of fast burning powders.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure why you want the lowest velocity, unless your shooting in a confined space but I'll give you my results of different gallery loads.
    My testing was done in 03A3/30-06, 7.62x54R and several 30-30, bolt, lever and single shot as well a 35 Remington.
    I tried light for caliber boolits and had some success. Then I tried normal weight for caliber and had better results. Velocity for 150 thru 200 grain gave best 50yd accuracy starting at around 900 thru 1200. The 900/1000 loads are quiet and the most accurate. The 1200 ish loads are accurate but a little louder.
    If I wanted 25 to 100 yds I would stay at 1000 ish fps. In the smaller 30-30 case my powder of choice is 700X, but most any fast pistol powder will work, ie..... bullseye, red dot, green dot, hp-38, etc... I did not have much luck with Unique below 1150/1200.
    The larger case I like the old 12 grains of red dot under a 175/200.
    I don't use any fillers with the fast powders. I do use dacron on the standard loads in the 1700 to 1900 fps velocity.
    My cowboy action friends will run as low as 550/600 in 38 cases in their handguns and same load in rifles. I do not know the exact velocity in the long guns but I would guess somewhere in the 700/800 fps range and they are comfortable with that. I'm not but they are.
    I do not have any first hand knowledge of how temp extremes effect these gallery loads.
    I'm not sure what yardage and accuracy standards your after but maybe my results will help.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I have gotten as low as @180fps from 0.8grains Tinstar in a 45LC with a 255grain Lee bullet. From a 7˝ Colt SAA. You could see the slug fly.

With well lubed bullets i see no reason you cant go below 400fps, just use dacron to hold the powder against the primer or ignition will be erratic at best.
    You can see my light 38 special load going through the air. Any cast bullet works. I cut a row off a SPP tray and tape off 9 of the 10 cavities. The remaining cavity is the powder measure. Use a fast burning powder.
    I have shot the gun up in the air and seen the bullet reach its apex and fall back to earth.
    And I only use these loads in short barreled revolvers, so I can be sure the bullet exits the bore.
    They are fun. Lets you throw a can in the air and see if you can hit it.

Boolit Man
    Out of curiosity, what is the procedure for removing a stuck bullet? Pound it out with a dowel, similar to slugging the bore?

Boolit Master

Yes, or I got a variety of brass rods from Etsy on-line. I haven't ever used them but I figured with Murphy and all...................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the procedure for removing a stuck bullet? Pound it out with a dowel, similar to slugging the bore?
    Yeah, not much of a difference. A metal rod, protected with tape, tubing, etc, so it doesn't mar your bore as you hammer away at it. Penetrating oil helps.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Dunno how low you can go but I might try at least 1 tenth of a grain more next time .
    And flare the case mouth for better seal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D70C661-6C46-4A28-B7C0-61501BAE9B2C.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	292249
    Ha.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    Best method is a brass rod turned to 0.01" less than bore (land to land) diameter, flood bore with penetrating oil and tap out with dead blow lead hammer.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12