Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guidance for pouring concrete slab

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namsag View Post
    Sometimes I miss living in Texas but I do not miss the bureaucracy there.
    Building Departments are rarely accountable to anyone. They are commonly staffed by what we might call "low level" people who have rarely had any real authority before; "power corrupts, absolute power absolutely corrupts." No matter how nice they may be otherwise they usually become petty tyrants in their official capacity and written standard variations they may ignore, neither private citizens and most local contractors have no sway over them.

Building anything without their department's prior approval (and sometimes even with prior approval) often gets ordered destroyed if it pleases the inspector - or if he just wants to teach another non-govie pee-on a lesson.

(Texas bureaucrats and their silly building rules are not unique. In Jacksonville, FL, a building permit is required to build a dog house - and it will be inspected when completed. In south FL, home owners are forbidden to replace their own failed light switches.

(It wasn't always that way but many yankees have occupied and they work together to make Southern things all better, meaning to do things the way they did up Nawth. And the Nawth has lots of government controls to protect them ... and they supply lots of taxes to pay for it too.)

Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!!

Boolit Master
    He already started the process in speaking to the town, don't go ahead and do it and expect forgiveness.

It sounds like some places would like you to do just that so they can hit you for a big$$$ fine when you avoid their regs.

At this point I think it's best to do it the right way and get a copy of the ordnance before proceeding.

Here, I can call and have the buried utilities marked at no charge. I would just make sure your slab isn’t over anything buried then enjoy.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

When dealing with any Building Offical , Plan Review Deputy or Building Inspector ... Hold your tongue and try your best not to use the words ... Idiot , Fool , Forrest Gump , Moron , Dolt , Ignoramus or Clown ... bite your tongue if you have too . No matter what Do Not Get Any of them teed-off or mad at you ... They relish their power and enjoy finding exceptional ways to look at things in obscure and skewed fashions ... so they can deny you a building permit or turn down an inspection ! Their favorite thing to say , and they enjoy saying it , is "Sorry , you can't do that ... it's against Code !"
    The one thing you must do is get on the good side of the Ladies who answer the phone ... Secretaries ( Office Manager's) run the world ... I could get more done being nice to the Building Officals Secretary than I could talking to him ... She knew what to say , how to say it and when to say it and get anything I needed approved and signed off on ... Be Nice To the Ladies ! If the lady office workers like you and you are super nice to them ...you're in like Flynn !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds like a wooden floor portable shed is well worth the offset in pure BS the OP will needlessly endure before his shed gets built.

Wake County NC has it's rules, then the town of Wake Forest has it's rules and the two often conflict. I lived in the Historic District of Wake Forest, and we couldn't have a carport, a garage built, and the size of any outbuilding had to be less than 10% of the square footage of the main dwelling. There was one 8x10 shed on blocks on the property already, 2' off the back line and they never said a word about it, 80% of the homes in the area have sheds that are in violation of the rules but they are old sheds and they aren't forcing owners to tear them down.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Work with the local building official. This will go a long way. If you do it without permit, they have the right to to have you remove it. Just follow local code and all will be good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
    It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Poor your slab. Play dumb. Case closed.
    Our locality is looking for someone who ignores building permits to make an example of. Hope your son's municipality is not the same.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Ten years ago we decided to heat our pool. I visited the county building dept for the info I needed to get it permitted. My pool pump slab was 18 inches too short to set the heater on. I asked if I could form and pour an 18” x 36” extension to the slab. He said sure but I’d have to pull an excavation permit (additional $80.00). Plus if the extension was within 1 foot of the house (it would be) I’d have to get a new termite bond for the property (about $750.00). I asked if I could just install a precast slab and he said that would eliminate the excavation and termite bond requirements. I formed and cast the slab 18” away from where it was needed, dug out & leveled the area it was to go in and slid it into place. Once I installed the heater you couldn’t even see where the old slab ended & the new one started. Passed inspection with no problem.
    In the OP’s situation, most municipalities require a permit anytime you pour concrete where there previously wasn’t concrete. Many now require a rat wall and some type of reinforcing steel too. The slab makes the shed a permanent founded structure, subject to permitting and often property taxes.
    If you covertly pour the slab and don’t get caught, it can still cause problems when you try to sell the property.

Boolit Bub
    We recently bought a pre-built shed. According to the zoning regs. it has to be no closer tha 10’ from the property line. When the man delivered it it wound up behind about 9’6” away. If the time ever comes that they call me on it, I’ll move it. It’s built on 2 4x6 treated rails sitting on a limestone chip bed.
    I could have applied for a variance for a $400 non refundable fee, which I could easily seeing them deny being there was nothing “in it” for them to approve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Ten years ago we decided to heat our pool. I visited the county building dept for the info I needed to get it permitted. My pool pump slab was 18 inches too short to set the heater on. I asked if I could form and pour an 18” x 36” extension to the slab. He said sure but I’d have to pull an excavation permit (additional $80.00). Plus if the extension was within 1 foot of the house (it would be) I’d have to get a new termite bond for the property (about $750.00). I asked if I could just install a precast slab and he said that would eliminate the excavation and termite bond requirements. I formed and cast the slab 18” away from where it was needed, dug out & leveled the area it was to go in and slid it into place. Once I installed the heater you couldn’t even see where the old slab ended & the new one started. Passed inspection with no problem.
    In the OP’s situation, most municipalities require a permit anytime you pour concrete where there previously wasn’t concrete. Many now require a rat wall and some type of reinforcing steel too. The slab makes the shed a permanent founded structure, subject to permitting and often property taxes.
    If you covertly pour the slab and don’t get caught, it can still cause problems when you try to sell the property.
    I'd have never let anyone know that I was doing that. You had a pump, you needed to update it. add heater and get warm in the pool. Inviting an inspector in is very much like bringing the fox into the henhouse. They will find an issue. Just don't.
    And to the Original poster, I'd just rebuild a wood foundation. way too many issues getting it approved. And yep, it will then be subject to larger tax bill as it is a permanent structure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I'd have never let anyone know that I was doing that.
    Not saying people haven’t forgot to pull a permit on occasion, sometimes they’ve lived to regret it later.
    The property tax record reflects every permitted improvement and taxes are based on that data. Most municipalities physically examine properties on a 5-10 year schedule to confirm the tax rolls are accurate. If there have been improvements since the last exam that aren’t on the property tax roll, you can hope you weren’t the owner during the last exam. The examiner can’t usually enter structures, so recently finished attics, slabs in sheds etc, that aren’t apparent from outside aren’t often found and held against you. If the tax assessor discovers un-permitted improvements the best case is you have to pay a fine, pull a permit (at double the cost) and provide access to inspectors so they can verify the improvement meets all CURRENT (not when the improvement was done) codes. That can mean removing drywall for framing, electrical and plumbing inspections; digging to expose foundations etc. Or they can also just condemn the improvement and force you to remove it.
    To make it worse, you can’t advertise the finished attic / 4th bedroom that wasn’t permitted, when listing the house for sale. The mortgage appraiser can’t include it when valuing the house as it wasn’t legally installed.
    Municipalities are looking for ways to increase revenue. Un-permitted construction is a gold mine to them.
    I am well versed in construction and tend to think of the permit process as another tax. On the other hand without code enforcement the average homeowner is alway at the mercy of unscrupulous builders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Sounds like a wooden floor portable shed is well worth the offset in pure BS the OP will needlessly endure before his shed gets built.

Wake County NC has it's rules, then the town of Wake Forest has it's rules and the two often conflict. I lived in the Historic District of Wake Forest, and we couldn't have a carport, a garage built, and the size of any outbuilding had to be less than 10% of the square footage of the main dwelling. There was one 8x10 shed on blocks on the property already, 2' off the back line and they never said a word about it, 80% of the homes in the area have sheds that are in violation of the rules but they are old sheds and they aren't forcing owners to tear them down.
    Lots of old stuff gets/got grandfathered in. New in Wake Forest, not so much. Did a house closing punch list off Camp Kanada. Since it's in the Falls Lake watershed, you have to provided permeable soil to control runoff. Inspector was digitally photographing stepping stones and comparing it the original plot plan to see if it was in violation.

Sometimes if you have a septic system you can't put in a shed if it impinges on the repair area. There's a concerted effort for residents in this county to get rid of their septic systems and wells and go on Raleigh city and water since they own most of it.

Boolit Master

When I had a new workshop built last year it was 100% permitted. I found the city to be pretty reasonable and got my self-drawn plans approved with only one small piece of additional information. This surprised the builder because the city isn't known for being lenient in the building department. I did my research first and worked many hours on the design to make sure every element met all applicable codes. All of my design work was done in SketchUp and I was new to the program at that time. I did need a registered professional engineer to design the slab but that was less than 1% of the total building cost. The inspector invited me to his house to see his shop after my build was completed.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    yep,you can be lucky......when the council here decided to hang me out to dry,they sent an inspector who turned out was a tractor collector,and of the very same ones I was collecting.....he did a cursory check,overlooked a lot of stuff with just a comment ,and invited me to join a tractor club......the good part is because the complaint was inspected and okayed once,its now grandfathered for all time.......he also gave me a nod nod wink wink on who was complaining (I have a lot of adjacent properties) and I hit the guy with a fencing demand for an upgraded fence ....his share was some $4000,demand enforcable by law,not just a debt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    .... and I hit the guy with a fencing demand for an upgraded fence ....his share was some $4000,demand enforcable by law,not just a debt.
    Ahhh, karma can have such large teeth!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12