WidenersRotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Rossi RS22 opnions?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Rossi RS22 opnions?

The fun store has the Rossi RS22 autoloader with black or green stock for $120.00 right now. I examined one and it looks very nice for a low buck rimfire, appears to be a near-clone of the Marlin 795. Anybody have experience with these? I figure it would at least make a nice tractor or truck gun.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

I have owned 3 of their lever actions and they all needed some tuning- but the $125 single shot .22/ .410 Matched Pair I bought for my daughter 18 years ago rocks on without a single blip from either barrel.
    I'd try one of those .22 rifles out.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I know the shop sells tons of those rifles with very few complaints. If it is blackbird accurate out to 30 yards and reliable with decent ammo then Id say it is a winner
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Bub
    One little secret that may be useful to those who like to use CCI Quiets. These little mag fed Rossi rifles are one of few bargain budget 22 SA rifles that can successfully cycle those 720 FPS rounds with minimal work to the actions.

The hammer face needs polishing and the corresponding bolt surface to match. A little recoil and hammer spring work is needed to reduce blowback resistance. It might sound intimidating, but they are not far away from working flawless with the weak stuff. The operating range of the work is still well suited for LR ammo after it is done.

I also would thread the barrels for suppressor use. The CCI Quiet combo with a suppressor is one nice set up for cheap!

Have fun!!

Thanks, will remember that. Probably get one on payday.

I bought two a couple years back Very reliable and fun to shoot. No FTF or FTE with a wide range of .22 ammunition brands. Not quite up to Ruger 10/22 standards but close enough for the price!

Chris

I like the 10/22, but strangely I can shoot pretty much any other .22 rifle better. I really, really like my American .22, Ruger should have come out with it decades ago.

The wife bought herself a new curio cabinet today, so I gave myself permission to bail out the little Rossi. I hurried home and put some rounds through it at 30 yards. I tried Thunderbolts, Federal Champions, and Norma Tac 22 since those are what I have the most of.

The Rossi is definitely at least minute of squirrel accurate, however the rear fiber optic sights are too bright for my taste. I found that Tech Sights makes a nice front and rear set for the RS22's twin Mossberg 702 for only $70.00 so I went ahead and ordered it. Had a couple of FTEs, which isnt too surprising for a cheap gun that isn't broken in yet. The trigger is pretty squishy but might get better with use. I'm going to take it apart and clean and lube everything before I shoot it again. For a $120.00 gun the RS22 seems to be a good deal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossi RS22.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	287581

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

For the price of a steak dinner for two(maybe!)- that looks like a helluvadeal to me. The reciever resembles a Marlin 70- I wonder if it's a clone?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

The RS 22 is a loose copy of the Marlin 795/995. The biggest differences I can tell between the RS22 and my own 995 are the magazine and one piece magwell/trigger housing. I took the RS22 apart last night for a good cleaning and oiling and thought the fit and finish were quite good.

The Tech sights came in today and installed quite easily. Hopefully I can test drive it tomorrow.

Managed to put a few rounds through the Rossi with the new sights and noticed a big difference immediately. It is now as easy to aim as any of my other .22's, in fact it only needed a couple clicks of elevation to be dead on. Function seems to be much better since I cleaned and oiled it, this rifle had practically no lubrication from the factory. Even adding the Tech sights I am still below the cost of the cheapest plastic stock/no sights 10/22. Look forward to seeing just how accurate this gun can be!

I'm still shooting the little Rossi, have a couple hundred rounds through it. At 40 yards off shooting sticks it will make sub 1" groups at least for 3-4 rounds. The guy pulling the trigger is definitely the limiting factor here! I have three extra Pro Mag mags for it (16.00 shipped on Fleabay) and they fit and feed just as well as the original.

Boolit Master
    Nice. What were the original sights like on the rifle? Theres one in the local shop with fiber optic sights front and rear. Were these the ones that you replaced?

Yes, mine had the fiber optic sights. They are just too bright for my taste. The Mossberg version used to, or maybe still does, come with metal open sights that are click adjustable and would have been good enough for my uses. The Tech sights work great though, and if you are going to use this thing for small game I think they are the best way to go.