Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Keith's #5 up for auction

Boolit Master

Keith's #5 up for auction

Care to guess at what it'll go for? I'm guessing they'll start at around $200k

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/...lver-for-sale/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Nice article, thank you for posting. That one will go for much $buckos.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    It's too bad that revolver will not end up being sold to somebody who's going to give it the shooting work out that it was designed for.

I think It's going to be placed into the back of an enormous safe with white gloves, checked twice a year make sure that it's still there..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Banned

The link doesn’t work!

Banned

Disregard the above post……..user error!!!

Boolit Master
    Too hard to clean with all that scratchin on it, but I’d go maybe $500.

Boolit Master
    Even if I had the money I would not buy it. Collectables are not my thing. I do like the looks of an engraved revolver though.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master
    My wallet felt lighter just from reading that article. It almost surely will end up in some very advanced collection, public or private, and get the loving care it has earned and deserves. If I wanted a shooting version of it, I’d go with a brand new Ruger Flat Top in 44 Spl, and maybe customize the grip frame and hammer and tune the action.

But then again, I’ve been accused of being a Philistine, so what do I know?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    My wallet felt lighter just from reading that article. It almost surely will end up in some very advanced collection, public or private, and get the loving care it has earned and deserves. If I wanted a shooting version of it, I’d go with a brand new Ruger Flat Top in 44 Spl, and maybe customize the grip frame and hammer and tune the action.

But then again, I’ve been accused of being a Philistine, so what do I know?

Froggie
    I share your thoughts and actually did what you described in celebration of Mr. Keith and Skeeter. One of my favorite guns to load and shoot.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not a collector but if I could have that, I'd have it. That is awesome.

Boolit Master
    It's beautiful, for sure. And if I could own it, I'd have to shoot it. But that kind of collecting is out of my league. I saw RIA had Browning's 1911 serial number 3 up for auction a few weeks ago. Literally one of the 5 prototypes he made himself while working out the design. Amazing piece of history, but too pricey for me.

But I stay on their mailing list so I keep getting their catalog and their annual calendar just to ogle the amazing guns that pass through there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

What a great article. Thanks for the post!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

If I had the urge for a sixgun in this style, I think it'd be interesting to imagine what Elmer would have done with today's modern manufacturing and up to date metallurgy. I'd carry his insight forward, imagining the changes he would make, things he would add and perfect, and then I would build *that* gun.

Ok, after reading the above two sentences, tell me what in your opinion the modern "No. 5" gun would be!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-05-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sad thing is this revolver just sold a few years ago. It also probably hasn't been fired since Elmer shot it last, and may never be shot again.

To answer Doug's question:

I think a modern using revolver would be a stainless double action. Even Elmer Keith went to a DA S&W. The problem is weight. For a significantly stronger than N frame gun such as the Ruger Redhawk, you quickly get into the "It's too heavy to carry every day" class. Anything over about 39-40 ounces gets there after about a week.

On the other hand, a stainless small frame Blackhawk in .44 Special with a 4 3/4 to 5˝" barrel and a modified Bisley-esqe grip would be very nice.

Robert

Boolit Master

A piece of revolver history, no doubt.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    6 years ago it sold for over 80,000 dollars. It will probably triple that this time around. That grip reminds me of a Hubley cap gun that I had as a child
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-05-2021 at 02:48 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Yep, $75,000.00 plus the premium........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I'm not a collector but if I could have that, I'd have it. That is awesome.
    "On the other hand, a stainless small frame Blackhawk in .44 Special with a 4 3/4 to 5˝" barrel and a modified Bisley-esqe grip would be very nice.

Robert"

I agree; if I had the money, I'd keep on shooting it with Keith loads in 44 Special. My favorite revolver is my Lipsey - Ruger new model Blackhawk 4 1/4" in 44 Special.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger SA June 28a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	287111
    Last edited by JoeJames; 08-05-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Elmer had long since moved to double actions in his later years, and to the .44 magnum when it became available, which he got to tell everyone was his doing. Stainless was around when he was still living and he didn't want it. Redhawks were around and he didn't want to carry one.

I think he was perfectly happy with a blued M29 and wouldn't have wanted whatever any of you might think is more modern.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy
    If only someone made a bisley grip frame that would fit a ruger flatop; out of aluminum! Such a combination would make a nice light carry gun.