Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many is too many

Beekeeper

How many is too many

I'm sure this has run the gambit before but I thought I'd ask it again.
    How many moulds do you have for each caliber you shoot?
    How many is too many?
    Is there a formula to help decide how many?

How about a little recourse on this!

survivalists Dad

Boolit Master
    SD,
    1) I can't remember how many molds per caliber I have.
    2) There is no such thing as "too many".
    3) Formula? See question #2.

lathesmith

Boolit Master

There is no such thing as too many. I have over 200 and if I could just find that one more......

Seriously, you can get a lot of money tied up in moulds. More than you can cast with which is where I am right now so I'm culling some back that I don't use.

Normally a couple for each caliber will do you nicely...../beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy

14,000 molds is too many. 13,999 is ok. I aspire to get 13,999. Once you have 14,000 molds, you become a weirdo.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Quote Originally Posted by lunicy View Post
    14,000 molds is too many. 13,999 is ok. I aspire to get 13,999. Once you have 14,000 molds, you become a weirdo.
    Or maybe a LUNATIC?????
    Μολὼν λαβέ

That's like asking how many molds do you need.

The answer is always ONE MORE.

Boolit Master

I ascribe to the concept of 'If enough is enough, then too much is just right'. I'm not in the league of most folks on this board - only have 20<30 molds, but I'm tryin'!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Super Moderator

.............How boring would it be to have a 30-'06 and ONE mould, say the 311291. Without a doubt it'd shoot and shoot well considering the amount of time you'd have to wring it out. Having only the one mould, ya know? Once you get that done, THEN what do you do? Boring is what it would be and bored is what you'd be

Moulds to a true cast booliteer is like jewelery is to a woman, only thing is that moulds are USEFULL. You can't eat, ride or shoot jewelery so what good is it? To a real boolit guy there is always just that one more you need. Pretty soon the idea of even counting them becomes a non-issue as what purpose does counting your moulds serve?

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by survivalists Dad View Post
    How many is too many?

survivalists Dad
    !. All I can get
    2. When you have more than 2 of every mold ever made.
    3. Formula= $ left after paying bills = # of molds to buy.

You will find that casting is addictive, you will always want MORE molds, WW, lead, tools, equipment, Etc. Then you will want a new gun to see how it shoots cast boolits which will require even MORE.
    LARRY

In Remebrance

As many as I can get!!!

Cast Boolits Owner

A "cast-zillion" of them is just about enough!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I'm currently at 66 overall and haven't bought any in a year or so, so I think I'm getting close.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing in excess!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I have been dirvorced over two years and I still live in a small rented room in somebody's house. I keep all my molds in two tall .50 cal ammo cans and they just about fit.

I will be moving shortly to a trailer park and with a 900 sq ft trailer and two sheds on the side I expect to be getting some more molds. I expect my casitng to be done on the covered porch facing north to keep me in the shade, have my gun safe in the bedroom alongside a mini refrigerator to keep my cold Guiness handy and my reloading to be done in the living room where I can listen to Sirrus Radio coming from my surround sound speaker system.

I no longer have a live in SMWBO so I can do what I want, when I want and where I want without getting any flack whatsoever. My diet and drinking habits are to be controlled only by me and I wll be able to go to the range at any time without having to perform a honey do list beforehand etc.

Threats to withhold indulgence in favorite activities hold no power over me anymore as I have forgotton how to indulge years ago and I would rather shoot or mold or smelt than roll around in sweaty sheets anyway. I have a decent retirement income, a F 150, a Triumph motorcycle and a safe full of interesting weapons to keep me out of bars and from chasing women.

Life is good and I intend to enjoy it for as many years as my maker lets me. I still have a few molds in .430 for which I have no gun. I am considering a new Ruger BH in .44 Special with a 4 5/8 bbl on the small 357 frame as soon as they are available. I already have a Ruger BH in 45 Colt/.45 ACP but I have heard good things about the accuracy and fun of shooting a .44 Special. I had a Ruger RedHawk in .44 Mag for a long time but this one had a really lousy trigger and about broke my arm with the weight so a smaller version gets me aroused.

At this stage in my life it does not take much to excite me and you never know what it around the corner?
    Last edited by Crash_Corrigan; 01-08-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    I have been dirvorced over two years and I still live in a small rented room in somebody's house. I keep all my molds in two tall .50 cal ammo cans and they just about fit.

I will be moving shortly to a trailer park and with a 900 sq ft trailer and two sheds on the side I expect to be getting some more molds. I expect my casitng to be done on the covered porch facing north to keep me in the shade, have my gun safe in the bedroom alongside a mini refrigerator to keep my cold Guiness handy and my reloading to be done in the living room where I can listen to Sirrus Radio coming from my surround sound speaker system.

I no longer have a live in SMWBO so I can do what I want, when I want and where I want without getting any flack whatsoever. My diet and drinking habits are to be controlled only by me and I wll be able to go to the range at any time without having to perform a honey do list beforehand etc.

Threats to withhold indulgence in favorite activities hold no power over me anymore as I have forgotton how to indulge years ago and I would rather shoot or mold or smelt than roll around in sweaty sheets anyway. I have a decent retirement income, a F 150, a Triumph motorcycle and a safe full of interesting weapons to keep me out of bars and from chasing women.

Life is good and I intend to enjoy it for as many years as my maker lets me. I still have a few molds in .430 for which I have no gun. I am considering a new Ruger BH in .44 Special with a 4 5/8 bbl on the small 357 frame as soon as they are available. I already have a Ruger BH in 45 Colt/.45 ACP but I have heard good things about the accuracy and fun of shooting a .44 Special. I had a Ruger RedHawk in .44 Mag for a long time but this one had a really lousy trigger and about broke my arm with the weight so a smaller version gets me aroused.

At this stage in my life it does not take much to excite me and you never know what it around the corner?
    Wow, you had me at Guinness....That sounds like the good life to me right there!

As to how many molds is too many? I would say once you start getting to the point you just start buying dups and trips of a mold that you don't use that often...you've just reached the starting point of "too many" as for me I sometimes wish there was a Magic mold that just one 4 cavity version would do everything I need in that one gun I shoot it out of....Oh wait its called the 429421 hehe
    My firearms project blog

Moderator Emeritus
    I must have over a hundered moulds and I know thats not enough.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    The answer depends on who you ask.

Ask me and I'll tell you I need more.

Ask my Mrs ....
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Cast Boolits Owner

Now that was not fair at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    The answer depends on who you ask.

Ask me and I'll tell you I need more.

Ask my Mrs ....
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post

Comon' EllTee, take it easy on us married with kids types huh! Talk about twisting the knife.....

Boolit Master

Usually one or two per caliber....

Quote Originally Posted by survivalists Dad View Post
    How many is too many?
    survivalists Dad
    I like to keep things consistent, and hate to readjust seating depths in the Dillon tool holder, so I try to keep the molds at a minimum.
    Less molds = more guns I can buy.
    I have one for each caliber (.455 Webley, .44 SPL, .38 SPL) right now except for the .45 LC, where I found out that the Lyman 452424 doesn't feed in the Taurus Thunderbolt due to excessive COAL.
    In that situation, I was forced to buy the Lyman 452664. It's a GREAT mold, the only fault is that it has a beveled base that makes it difficult to wipe excess lube off it. I just gave up, wipe the base once on a towel, and load it.
    I may add a second .38 SPL mold (Lyman 358429), as I don't like the Lyman 358477. It's illustrated as having a deep square grease groove, but arrived with a shallow curved one. Bah. Humbug.
    And I will most likely eventually cast for the .45 auto, where I will break down and have both a 200 gr SWC and a 230 gr RN mold...
    Some people buy two of each, so they can alternate molds while casting, and make maximum use of their time. I'm simply too frugal to do that. I'll alternate between different molds, so when I cast .45 LC, I may alternate between the 424 and 664, or use the 664 and the .44 SPL 429421....
    The proper answer is, of course, that you can never have too many molds!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast