MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taurus ultra lite shoots low

Boolit Bub

taurus ultra lite shoots low

Hello guys, I greet you from Argentina. I tested a load yesterday with my taurus 2". I am using the LEE-358-105 and 4.2 grain from win 231. and surprisingly for me the impacts were 15cm low. could it be because of the weight of the boolit?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Yes try a bullet 155 grain or heavier

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I agree. 158 gr. is sort of the .38 Special standard, and your pistol's sights are probably calibrated for that weight.

DG

Boolit Bub
    Thank you very much, I am considering purchasing a LEE-358-158 RF mold. What is your opinion on that mold?

I have one, and it is a good mold, as most Lee molds are. It's fine for target practice, although a wadcutter design makes nicer holes. I would not recommend it for personal defense or hunting.

DG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001297.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	287002
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 08-03-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballester molina View Post
    Hello guys, I greet you from Argentina. I tested a load yesterday with my taurus 2". I am using the LEE-358-105 and 4.2 grain from win 231. and surprisingly for me the impacts were 15cm low. could it be because of the weight of the boolit?
    I gree with the others about boolit weight. A donde vive in Argentina? Me professora de espanol nace en Mendoza, Mendoza.

It is a good bullet-mould to learn how to shoot and reload and cast for that revolver.

Boolit Master
    I have around 10 Lee molds and that is my favorite!
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Greetings! I know this is a little like comparing apples and oranges, but light bullets out of the 38 special are possible. At least out of my 4 inch model tan Smith and Wesson. I wanted a light load to break my wife into pistol shooting and I managed to find a Lyman 358345 swc. It lists at 113 grains but with my alloy in this mold there more like 110 grain. It took a little work but I wound up with a couple of pounds of SR 7625 powder and I worked a load down to 3.2 grains. I got a Tell you it’s a real hoot to shoot! And at that load it’s got the report and the recoil not much more than a 22 Long rifle. I need 15 yards I’m talking about the same whole accuracy. I know 7625 is no longer manufactured and have no idea what’s available to you in Argentina. But if you’re looking for a light plinking load for a 38, try looking through some older manuals at different powders. When I first started out with this bullet I was definitely not happy with the results with hotter loads. Like I initially said I realize the Smith and Wesson isn’t a Taurus and there is a difference between 105 grain and 110 grain. But if you feel like putting the time in and have other powders available to you you might just be surprised changing things around a little bit. If your plans are using this for a self-defense round I would definitely go as others and said it someplace between 150 and 158 grain boollet weight. Lee has 158 grain round nose boolet that I’ve had good results with. Hope any of this helps.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I have one, and it is a good mold, as most Lee molds are. It's fine for target practice, although a wadcutter design makes nicer holes. I would not recommend it for personal defense or hunting.

DG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001297.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	287002
    He hadn't paid attention to the photo of the gun. is ballester molina or ballester rigaud?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    I gree with the others about boolit weight. A donde vive in Argentina? Me professora de espanol nace en Mendoza, Mendoza.
    Hi Jim 22, I'm from a town called Trenque Lauquen 700 kilometers from Mendoza or maybe less

Boolit Bub
    Poppy here in Argentina we do not have much availability of molds and powder machines. you get some lyman and we have a LEE importer

This one is a Molina, but I also have a Rigaud. I thought you might like to see one because of your forum user name. It has nothing at all to do with your question.......

DG

Boolit Bub
    DG[/QUOTE]

It makes me very happy to know that you have a weapon manufactured in my country in times of glory of the national armory industry

Boolit Buddy
    At what distance?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    At what distance?
    from 7 meters to 18 meters the shots go to the same place. 15 centimeters down

I think that if you modified your sight alignment (rise the front above the rear

in such a way that the bullets were to) strike the center of a 9-inch paper plate at a distance of 15 yards,

then you could maybe take very fine paint brush and paint a line across the front site

showing where do you want it to line up in the rear, in the future you could repeat the shooting

just by lining it up (the mark on the front site with the outline rear sight.)

9 inch=228 milimeter

15 yards=13.7 meter

15 centimeters=5.9 inch

If your front site has serrations this process can be extremely precise.

You'll find that different bullet weights, powder charge weights and sometimes

powder type can make a big difference in elevation and sometimes windage at different shooting distances using small fixed sighted revolvers. I am assuming your revolver has fixed sights machined into the top strap and something in the front.

If you are using a Trijicon RMR then I would say adjust the sights

If you tell us specifically what type of revolver you have and and its condition I'm sure that we can recommend some good target loads bearing in mind what you may have available in Argentina.

The good news is 231 is an excellent Target powder for ultra light guns.

The Lee 105gr is a great little bullet. I use it in .38 Special and 9mm. My fixed sight 4" M&P M10 prints low with it as well, so I use it in our M15 and M67 with their adjustable sights. I like 5grs Bullseye- peppy but light recoil.
    358429- great pics and advice! I've used bright nail polish on the front ramp down low for low shooting guns.
    And another salute to Argentina and the OP

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    I think that if you modified your sight alignment (rise the front above the rear

in such a way that the bullets were to) strike the center of a 9-inch paper plate at a distance of 15 yards,

then you could maybe take very fine paint brush and paint a line across the front site

showing where do you want it to line up in the rear, in the future you could repeat the shooting

just by lining it up (the mark on the front site with the outline rear sight.)

9 inch=228 milimeter

15 yards=13.7 meter

15 centimeters=5.9 inch

If your front site has serrations this process can be extremely precise.

You'll find that different bullet weights, powder charge weights and sometimes

powder type can make a big difference in elevation and sometimes windage at different shooting distances using small fixed sighted revolvers. I am assuming your revolver has fixed sights machined into the top strap and something in the front.

If you are using a Trijicon RMR then I would say adjust the sights

If you tell us specifically what type of revolver you have and and its condition I'm sure that we can recommend some good target loads bearing in mind what you may have available in Argentina.

The good news is 231 is an excellent Target powder for ultra light guns.

the revolver is a taurus 85 ultralite, its condition is excellent, with a load of 4.2 grains of w 231 it has an extraordinary precision. Regarding the sights, I do what you say, I raise the front sight.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Lee 105gr is a great little bullet. I use it in .38 Special and 9mm. My fixed sight 4" M&P M10 prints low with it as well, so I use it in our M15 and M67 with their adjustable sights. I like 5grs Bullseye- peppy but light recoil.
    358429- great pics and advice! I've used bright nail polish on the front ramp down low for low shooting guns.
    And another salute to Argentina and the OP

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I also use it on my 9mm with excellent results. and in the taurus it groups very well but deviated. beautiful HAFDASA by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast