RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for an upgrade?

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you load a variety of cartridges if you have a lot of cases the bigger progressives might be the way to go if you can load enough of each cartridge that you don't spend more time in setup than you do loading.
    If you load smaller batches of 200 to 500 I personally prefer (in addition to your single stage) the Lee classic turret probably the fastest press to change calibers on and still load 100 to 200 rounds an hour . And or a base model progressive cheap way in is the Lee auto breech lock pro , or the better built Dillon 550 .
    A lot of this will depend on your budget for equipment . Before you buy look at cost to set up your machine for all the cartridges you want to load on it.
    This is actually a good time to be a reloader or will be if we get past all the shortages , we have a wide range of equipment to fit many needs and budgets available.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    If you load smaller batches of 200 to 500 I personally prefer (in addition to your single stage) the Lee classic turret probably the fastest press to change calibers on and still load 100 to 200 rounds an hour.

A lot of this will depend on your budget for equipment . Before you buy look at cost to set up your machine for all the cartridges you want to load on it.
    That really is one big pro for the Lee and a bit of a con for the Dillon. The Lee, you just need an extra toolhead, and maybe an extra powder measure, and they're cheap to come by. Changing out primer sizes takes like two seconds. The Dillon 650 requires a conversion kit that's about 80 bucks, those take about 5 minutes to swap over, and if you don't have the extra primer parts kit, changing primer sizes takes a few minutes as well. I'd say if i went from loading 9mm to 10mm on my 650, it would probably take a half hour to get everything switched over, primers switched, empty the case feeder, and get everything ready to pull the handle.

The Lee turrets are really quite good, and I could load at a good pace and still be watching everything.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Rhyrum you mentioned the auto drum not liking h110. I actually use alot of h110.

Does the dillon not have an issue metering h110?

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    Rhyrum you mentioned the auto drum not liking h110. I actually use alot of h110.

Does the dillon not have an issue metering h110?

I also use a lot of h110 as well, the Dillon measure does just fine with it. The auto drum can use it, it just leaks. I had a piece of paper set under the measure to catch all the stray powder. Having it tight enough that it won't leak it binds, loose enough to function correctly and it leaks. Otherwise it meters it just fine as the part that leaks isn't the actual metering part.

Boolit Buddy
    How difficult is it to change calibers on a progressive dillon? Do you have to fiddle around with a bunch of things or just swap dies and primer feeders?

Say going from 9mm to 300blkout.

I see dillon sells a package xl750 9mm& .223. I figure I can swap the .223 for 300blk easily enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    How difficult is it to change calibers on a progressive dillon? Do you have to fiddle around with a bunch of things or just swap dies and primer feeders?

I see dillon sells a package xl750 9mm& .223. I figure I can swap the .223 for 300blk easily enough.

Watch some YouTube videos and check them all out. The Dillon 750 really needs the case Feeder to gain much over the 550...so consider that. I have owned them all and sold the 650 (some say better than the 750). I have a 550 and 1050. I would strongly suggest a 550.

Caliber changes are inexpensive and not very involved. The only downside is you cannot mount a powder check die on the 550 unless you crimp and seat on one station. It is doable but some people struggle with a combined seat/crimp die.

On the Dillon’s, you have tool heads. Once your dies are set up there are no die adjustments needed unless you change bullets.

Quite a few volume reloaders will have a machine set up for LP’s and another for SP’s. Both of my Dillon’s are set for SP....but if you will be reloading .44’s you will neeed to swap primer systems. Takes 10 minutes or so.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    The xl750 9mm/5.56 kit

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-7...134_26665.html

This looks like it pretty much has everything [I think?] That I would want to do my bread and butter shooting.

Would you still go with a 550 over a 750 in this configuration?

I think even without the case feeder, the 650/750 is still much better than a 550, because of the auto index.

When switching calibers there's about 6 or 7 parts that need to be changed over. The biggest hassle for me is changing out primer sizes, from large to small. So going between 9 and 223 should not take more than a few minutes. Extra toolheads are a plus. The biggest hassle i think with them is you have to buy the conversation kit, which is about 80 bucks a caliber

Boolit Grand Master
    The xl750 9mm/5.56 kit

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-7...134_26665.html

This looks like it pretty much has everything [I think?] That I would want to do my bread and butter shooting.

Would you still go with a 550 over a 750 in this configuration?

Wow...$2300!!!

I would not buy it for that. I would get the 1050 and here is why.

First, it primes on the downstroke so no "feel" is needed to seat primers perfectly. Second, the 1050 has a built in swaging station for primer pocket swaging.

I have owned a 650 (same as 750) and three 1050's along with two 550's. As I mentioned, the 550 is much cheaper for conversion kits, caliber changes are faster, and it will produce about 350/hr. I get over double that (over 700) with the 1050. When I downsized, I kept one 1050 and one 550.

It boils down to what production rate you want, number of calibers you want to reload, and how much you can afford to spend. A tool head for the 1050 is north of $200, and one for a 550 $20 IIRC.
    Don Verna

I do not shoot rifles anymore due do fading eyesight & a stiff neck. However: I have enough cases, powder, primers & bullets to produce many .223/,5.56 loads should everything go to pot. I can prep the brass (resize, trim, clean primer pockets, & tumble off press) and load them on my 550b using the Dillon powder measure with H322 or H335. My Gracy Match Prep makes short work of trimming (takes longer to measure to see if they need trimming than it takes to trim)

I load rifle hunting loads for friends & I do that on my single stage.

I shoot my handguns often (7 calibers) & load them on my Dillons: I have one set up for SP & another set up for LP. I have a quick change set up for each caliber so caliber change is no issue. Both Dillons are 550: 550b & 550c & I am perfectly happy with them. I prefer the manual advance. The manual vs automatic advance is a personal choice. My choice is based on an extremely unpleasant experience with my 1st progressive machine (RCBS Green Machine) which was automatic advance. The auto advance complicated solving even the simplest boo boo: never again.

I have a turret press (Lyman AA) that I had to have for nostalgia. It is set up for .40 S&W (don't own one...grand son-in-law does) & haven't used it in over 2 years.

Short version: SS best for hunting loads (not many needed) & for me Dillon 550 for handgun loads (large volume).

I hope this helps.
    Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 08-04-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Wow...$2300!!!

First, it primes on the downstroke so no "feel" is needed to seat primers perfectly. Second, the 1050 has a built in swaging station for primer pocket swaging.

I have owned a 650 (same as 750) and three 1050's along with two 550's. As I mentioned, the 550 is much cheaper for conversion kits, caliber changes are faster, and it will produce about 350/hr. I get over double that (over 700) with the 1050. When I downsized, I kept one 1050 and one 550.

It boils down to what production rate you want, number of calibers you want to reload, and how much you can afford to spend. A tool head for the 1050 is north of $200, and one for a 550 $20 IIRC.

Don, there are a couple of things different between the 650 and the 750. The most notable is priming on the down stroke. I don't think I would like that but finding a 650 may be difficult at this point. I was lucky and recently found a new in box 650 with a lot of goodies to go with it. After using it I have to join the crowd that says "I should have gotten it years ago". I am quite happy with it.

Boolit Master

If you have a tool head for each cartridge all you're going to have to do is swap the tool head, that's two pins, takes seconds, swap the shell plate and station one locator, this takes less than a minute, and swap the case feed parts, another minute. Ideally you have a powder measure for each tool head. It's nice not having to fiddle with changing powder bars.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Wow...$2300!!!

If he was loading one cartridge I'd agree. However, caliber changes on a 1050/1100 are MUCH more expensive and take a LOT longer to make the switch.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    I went from a single stage Bonanza press that I used for over 35 years (still use it some) to a Dillon 550C. Doing batches I turned out 100 rounds an hour with the Bonanza. Using the Dillon at a leisurely pace I'm running 300 an in an hour. I wanted the 550C because I did not want auto indexing. I'm primarily a handgun shooter and it allows me to stock up enough ammo for a few range trips in short order.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Boolit Master

The 650 I got was factory set up for .45 ACP. It is the only thing I would load on the Dillon with large primers. My plan is to load all the LP brass I have for now and the swap over to small primer for everything. I have a lot of SP .45 brass and it is easily available.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    My DILLON XL650 does about 600 rounds an hour

It's accurate enough to make dime sized 223 groups at 100 yards.

It uses standard dies, I have LEE, Hornady, Lyman, Redding and Dillon dies in my Dillon toolheads.

The little Dillon Square deal is the only one that uses proprietary dies that I know of.

Buy once, cry once, and get the Dillon....nobody buys a Dillon and later says "gee I should have bought a red colored press"

these videos were made from my XL650 handloads...

XL650

550B

I did and do.
    Bought a 450 when they were advertised in G&A for $185.00. About 37?yrs ago. Wouldn't work with RCBS Pistol dies I had. The ad didn't say their aluminum powder measure didn't work with Ball powder. And their answer to primer feed problems with WIN Small Pistol Primers was; "don't use them they're junk".
    They're nothing but a money sink.

Hornady Red for Me all the way 🥳👍🥳😎
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Of all of the Dillons, the 550 is by far the fastest and least expensive for caliber changes. I have a 550B and a 650. Also had a Square Deal B but just didn’t use it with the 550 mounted beside it on the bench so I swapped it for a Ponsness Warren shot shell press. I considered getting a second 650 to have one each for large and small primers but the cost for all of the conversion sets would have been very expensive even after selling the 550 stuff. The 550 is versatile, easily loading all common handgun and rifle cartridges using standard dies.

A friend has a Hornady Ammo Plant and couldn’t get over how much better he liked my 550 over his AP.

I only bought the 650 because I was shooting 2000-3000 rounds of .40/month and the 550 required too many hours at the reloading bench to keep up. Most of my rifle cartridges are still loaded on a single stage press.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rswink View Post
    ... wondering how long until a Dillion fanboy would be along.

I had 1, sold it. Don't reload enough to justify that expensive toy that did exactly what my single stage Lee does. I only seem to make hunting loads.
    Well said.

It's never right to tell others to "get what I like because it's great"; it's always right to tell them how to "Buy what you need to do what you really want to do NOW."

After some fifty + years of loading, I do not have, need or want a progressive but I won't steer anyone else to buy a single stage if that's not what they need.

Lee's auto-indexing Classic Turret is a significant step up in rounds per hour over a single stage but it's not a progressive. Used correctly, it's a very good press but if you want a progressive, get one because you'll never really be satisfied with anything else.

If that's what you want, "progressive press" is properly spelled D - I - L - L - I - O - N.
    Last edited by 1hole; 08-14-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    A 550 will easily produce what you are shooting in a couple hours on the weekend . To save yourself a lot of time switching calibers - bulk load in advance , example if you shoot a hundred rounds of .556 a week when you're set up to load them load a thousand at a time . When changing calibers stick to the same primer size . Have caliber conversion set up in tool heads with its own powder measure if at all possible . Then you just change the tool heed and shell plate + pins . Also do you brass prep in advance on your single stage in bulk .
    This will save a lot of fiddling , but cost you quit a bit .
    This comes from a guy that loads 380s ,9s, 38s, 357s ,45s, 30-30, 308, 7x57 ,3006, on a loadmaster happily while using a 550 strictly for a 223 . Hahaha
    I load all my serous rifle ammunition on a single stage but the 550 is perfectly capable of loading it .
    Take your time looking around before making a decision ....... you could start out by trying a powder dispenser first . You might find you can easily reach your needs with loading blocks and a powder dispenser like a little dandy for handgun ammo , + dropping the charge light and trickling it up for a precise rifle charge .
    Last edited by toallmy; 08-14-2021 at 02:06 PM.

And thread drift strikes again! Since we have gone there, I am another advocate for the 550 for all the reasons previously mentioned. I have SDBs set up for SP and LP because they came to me at a great price. My 550 gets more use, and I have a Dillon 1100 on the way. The Rockchucker sees more use than any of the Dillons, and if I could have only one press it would be a Rockchucker and a 550. Math is hard….
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 08-15-2021 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    Derek. Clearly at Arnold Cowboy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast