Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for an upgrade?

Boolit Buddy
    I started reloading in my mid-teens. I used a single cavity Lee mold for my 44 mag DW. I also used the, primitive by todays standard, lee load kit ( punch in case to resize, decap with pin, re-cap with punch etc.). I then got a Lee turret press. It was great...my brother still uses it. Once I had a job that payed better I upgraded to a D550 kit.
    It is capable of very accurate reloading at a good rate. I also have a Lyman C press for my 45-70 and 45-2 7/8. That being said there are thing to consider. The lee turret works great, as do a lot of lee products. How many calibers do you reload for and for what purpose....cowboy action versus bench match have different requirements. Ease of switching calibers...I had a separate powder measure and would size/prime and bell-then charge the cases in a block moving the powder measure from case to case then came seating and crimping......worked great for pistols. When I started benching with my 308 I used a c press and competition dies and weighed all components not to mention case length and run-out. Nowadays I use my 550 for everything except my 45-70 and 45-2 7/8. Research the forums and get an idea of what the ultimate purpose for the press is as well as budget. Hornady, Dillon,Lyman,Lee etc. are all good for reloading....depending on your needs and budget. Many put down Lee bullet molds but my Lee 429 405 casts up there with my customs. YMMV
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Dillon 550b but has been in storeage to long, need to relearn and enjoy again!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    . . . and if I could have only one press it would be a Rockchucker and a 550. Math is hard….
    Tony
    Agreed 100%. The few people I've known that only had a progressive were USPSA shooters that loaded one caliber for competition and nothing else. For them it was just to produce match ammo that just barely met the power factor requirement and to save a wad of money over shooting factory ammo.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

There was an article in an old Handloader magazine title something like "Speed-Reloading". It talked about setting up to load ammo in quantity with your basic single stage press. The idea was to streamline your technique & reloading set-up. For instance, clear your work area & put your components in convenient bins/blocks near your press to minimize hand movements. Loose cases lubed & handy in a bin. Use loading blocks to hold your cases during various phases of reloading. Remember that old press mounted primer arm you took off your press? Put it back in service & size & prime with a single up & down stroke. Charge your cases by moving the measure hand-held from case to case in a block. Eyeball all powder levels. Seat bullets that were dumped in a bin setup for easy access. Loaded rounds go in another bin so you can wipe off lube later, if need be. I guess this all is just common sense, but you might be surprised at how your production picks up. I might add that a press with a long handle & good leverage definitely helps.

I got rid of my Lyman Turret & Dillion 550. I now use my Mec Marksman & RC-Jr. I try to stay as organized as possible & my process seems to go pretty smooth & fast although I can't give you my production rate!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123