Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope I don't regret this: Bought my first press after my starter kit single stage

I hope I don't regret this: Bought my first press after my starter kit single stage

Well for too long now I've been using a single stage LEE Breech Lock Challenger, the basic of the basic. I've had it since 2013 and it is painfully slow and tedious. I've kicked around the idea of a turret press and all of the fancy ones but have never braved enough to spend the money on them. Today while surfing YouTube I watched a video from Fortune Cookie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCE8xhCWdGs

Now truth be told I clicked on it because I have wanted to look into wet tumbling. But his video shows a press I personally have never seen! I thought the speed of it was pretty cool and just imagined how much time I could save with it. Rolling my eyes and thinking "There's no way I'm going to pay the probably $150 it cost when I could have a non LEE branded other press" (I'm not a huge fan of LEE).

Looking into it I saw that Midway has them on sell for $69! https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022385797

Well for $69 and free shipping there isn't too much to lose. To make it even better I looked into how other companies and people have been upgrading these to make them even better. So here I go...Rolling the dice on another LEE product. It should be here this time next week so we will see. I still need to purchase some accessories but in a time when everything is slim pickings I'm pretty happy on a $69 press that is in stock!

Greatly dislike the plastic pieces it has going on but I can buy extra for when (not if) it breaks.

Boolit Buddy
    When you receive it let me know how it works out?

I've been considering it for bulk brass prep without loading and for sizing my cast bullets/airgun slugs

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    When you receive it let me know how it works out?

I've been considering it for bulk brass prep without loading and for sizing my cast bullets/airgun slugs

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
    I just got mine yesterday and for bulk brass prep, it is awesome. It's fast and easy. I use it for decapping and bulge busting 40. Best $90 I've spent in a long time.

I just listed my previous bulge busting press, Lee Classic Turret, for sale in S&S because I'll never use it again now that I have the APP.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Well for too long now I've been using a single stage LEE Breech Lock Challenger, the basic of the basic. I've had it since 2013 and it is painfully slow and tedious. I've kicked around the idea of a turret press and all of the fancy ones but have never braved enough to spend the money on them. Today while surfing YouTube I watched a video from Fortune Cookie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCE8xhCWdGs

Now truth be told I clicked on it because I have wanted to look into wet tumbling. But his video shows a press I personally have never seen! I thought the speed of it was pretty cool and just imagined how much time I could save with it. Rolling my eyes and thinking "There's no way I'm going to pay the probably $150 it cost when I could have a non LEE branded other press" (I'm not a huge fan of LEE).

Looking into it I saw that Midway has them on sell for $69! https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022385797

Well for $69 and free shipping there isn't too much to lose. To make it even better I looked into how other companies and people have been upgrading these to make them even better. So here I go...Rolling the dice on another LEE product. It should be here this time next week so we will see. I still need to purchase some accessories but in a time when everything is slim pickings I'm pretty happy on a $69 press that is in stock!

Greatly dislike the plastic pieces it has going on but I can buy extra for when (not if) it breaks.

You'll love it! I just got one yesterday and it's fast! I don't know if I'd want to load on it, but for fast brass processing, it can't be beat. I just listed my Lee Classic Turret, my previous bulge busting press, in S&S since it won't ever be used for it again for brass prep. You might want to look into that as a step up from what you had for loading rounds and use the APP for what it excels at, quickly processing lots of brass.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee APP is an "automated processing press".Specifically for sizing and depriming brass. I believe it is also used for cast bullet sizing. Lee states it is also a single stage press, but I haven't heard much about that. If you wanted a faster press I would suggest a Lee turret. I used one for about 20+ years and it was as fast as I needed (I like reloading and am never in a hurry). I also put a ram prime on one turret, and sized bullets on my old style press. My "best for me" modification was to disable the auto index and hand index. Works best for me because I perfer batch loading. I wound up with 14 turets. most filled with dies and some with accessory dies (bullet sizing. priming, etc.).

Don't fret Lee's use of "plastic" as more than the plastic everyone thinks about (cheap Asian toys) Lee uses modern manufacturing materials and methods. Remember al the hoop-la about the first Glocks to reach the US? One of the most popular pistols now, it was condemned as "cheap plastic that wont last"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

"Buy once - Cry once" is the mantra for purchasing equipment that LASTS. You can hardly afford not to. At 429 posts on these Forums, a castboolit member for 6 years, and an avowed reloader for 8 years, what is not to get? Sure, $69 for plastic is CHEAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by your words
    ...there isn't too much to lose.
    I care to differ.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    What's all this about Hope and regret? You make do with what you have in your hands, Wherever You Are.

I've been reading about guys using these to process a bucket of 38 brass either before or after tumbling. Was watching the video on u tube how to set it up and synchronize the shuttle for sizing brass or bullets. Build quality seemed better after I could see how it was designed to operate. I'd like to see is one of these set up for priming cases or powdering or seating/crimping.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    What's all this about Hope and regret? You make do with what you have in your hands, Wherever You Are.

I've been reading about guys using these to process a bucket of 38 brass either before or after tumbling. Was watching the video on u tube how to set it up and synchronize the shuttle for sizing brass or bullets. Build quality seemed better after I could see how it was designed to operate. I'd like to see is one of these set up for priming cases or powdering or seating/crimping.
    This press isn't designed to do any of those tasks. It was designed for processing brass and bullets, not reloading. This press excels at rapidly decapping, swaging, bulge busting and sizing bullets.

Do you know if it is capable of priming cases or expanding case mouths or seating or crimping? I could be the man of 1000 loading blocks the excitement could be heard for miles.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you know if it is capable of priming cases or expanding case mouths or seating or crimping? I could be the man of 1000 loading blocks the excitement could be heard for miles.

It will not prime cases because there is no way to press the primers in. You can expand case mouths. Seating and crimping would defeat the speed benefit the press offers because you would have to load individual cases. The real benefit to this press is performing single operations in bulk by using their case feeding tubes, or by kluging up a connection to a case feeder and not deal with the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    It will not prime cases because there is no way to press the primers in.
    This isn't true at all.

Start watching this video at the 1:44:08 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUneg5YCBKQ

So there is no way to adapt Lee breech lock Ram Prime into the Lee app? this is a picture showing it in the hand press. Even if it was cumbersome it would be a huge Improvement on speed for me with a case feeder and all that Leverage.

This isn't true at all.

Start watching this video at the 1:44:08 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUneg5YCBKQ
    Telling me I need to sign in and I ain't going to do that. How does he solve the priming problem?

I kind of want one of these just so I can mount it up on a stump, some portable reloading when I'm out and about listening to birds sing and drink coffee.

Telling me I need to sign in and I ain't going to do that. How does he solve the priming problem?

It shouldn't make you sign in. Anyways it CAN be a priming tool, it places the priming die on the bottom under the press. It can load from start to finish. However to me the priming of the cases looks very tedious so I will not be using it for this. I believe I will still be investing in a Century 21 hand priming tool.

Boolit Buddy
    This isn't true at all.

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

Boolit Buddy
    So there is no way to adapt Lee breech lock Ram Prime into the Lee app? this is a picture showing it in the hand press. Even if it was cumbersome it would be a huge Improvement on speed for me with a case feeder and all that Leverage.

I wasn't aware that that tool existed. Yes, it will work on the APP. Very slow, but it will prime. It's a dark day when you don't learn somethin' new.

So what do I got to do to get a powder measure to fit

I will take that back I kind of like the powder measure on the stump. If I can deprime resize prime and bell case mouths I would save so much time. Seating and crimping I can still do in the hand press if it does not work out.

I'd like to get a 30000 primers and a Dillon 650 for a reasonable price, that ain't going to happen boo hoo

Boolit Buddy
    I have the LEE APP press and have used it for decapping and case bulging. It worked fine for what it was designed. It was not designed for priming n and loading.

Seems to be limited to 223 and pistol. I have not had good luck trying to auto feed 308, Swede and such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast