Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dadgummit, no place to cast

Boolit Master
    Not for the intended purpose HOT LEAD spilled will stink and the lead lost , you folks are over thinking this . A cheap canopy and dirt floor minus the boulders (no tripping) and your done .Cast till your tired of it ,let stuff cool down and put it back from where you got it

Casting on the stove top isnt q good idea. Even with good ventilation, breaking the mold open leaves tiny lead particle & those arent good eats around the kitchen.
    If there is any patio/yard space, just move it outside on a portable bench top. I cast in apts for years like that before my 1st house. Now its all in the garage.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    big back yard.
    nothing wrong with casting on a picnic table with Coleman stove. or even a sheet of plywood on a couple saw horses.

Banned

I have read a couple of posts saying it is bad to let the neighbors see you casting in your yard, on your private property. Not sure why that is a problem for you.....???????!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Some say ... don't cast outdoors ... they might see you !

Some say don't cast Indoors .. the Lead will get in your food and kill you !

I say do it the way you want to ... I've done it all and still healthy ... People just like to rain on others parades ... must make them feel good .

Exhaust Fan over a stove in the kitchen ... In the back yard where you can be seen ...
    It don't matter , pick a place and go for it .

Both my Mother (when I lived at home) and My wife ( now I'm married) didn't have a problem with my stove top casting ... I was nervous about hot lead dropping on the VCT tile floor ... also the fluxing with wood shavings and beeswax put off a good bit of smoke ... So , outside in garage / reloading building was better for the smoke & smell reason .
    I can't believe my Mom ( she's gone on now) and wife put up with some of the stuff I did in their kitchens ... they both must really Love me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Stove is new. Like delivered and installed two weeks ago new. Range hood hasn't even arrived to be installed yet. She would NOT be amused. But I like the idea!
    Back yard is out of sight of everyone, but no cord to run to the pot. Not a real problem - I can figure something out. I think number one is getting the folding table, because if the morning it is, (relatively), cool and the shade from the house covers a big foot print. I could be back there for a few hours before the sun hits it. But I never have been able to go longer than about an hour before my back cries FOUL and I'm done. The FRONT yard, now THAT one can be seen by everyone driving by. That would not be where I would cast.
    That whole bathtub idea keeps nagging me -0 just replaced the exhaust fans in both bathroom sand the second bathroom has a REALLY old ugly cheap tub...I don't think anyone would even notice a scorch mark or five...

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I have read a couple of posts saying it is bad to let the neighbors see you casting in your yard, on your private property. Not sure why that is a problem for you.....???????!!!!!
    We don't like to let the people driving think by that someone owns guns here, HOWEVER, most common criminals don't have the foggiest idea what a bullet casting setup even looks like, much less the ability to make the mental jump to connect them, I am guessing.

Boolit Master
    I cast in my garage usually with the door open to let out all the smoke from the flux. There is probably no one in my entire neighborhood who would know a casting setup if they saw it. I think I'd get more comments from the smoke or smell than casting.

I am also one of those 'grumpy old men' who will just grumble if someone says hi to me.

Boolit Master
    about casting in the driveway or front yard, I seriously doubt very many people would even look twice at you and how the heck would they know what your doing but I have lived in neighborhood with nosy neighbors, if anyone asks just tell em your making fishing sinkers. when it comes to general public or for that matter even general gun owner population, when it comes right down to it how many know much anything about bullet casting or how many actually do it.
    there were what something like 20 or 30 million guns sold in US last year., Pretty much anyone who seriously wants to cast their own or is an avid caster probably is registered on this web site. and there are what like just over 50,000 of us, a small drop in the bucket compared to how many legal gun owners there are.
    no matter what way you decide to go with your casting bench I hope it works out well for you, there have been lots of good suggestions here.
    when I lived in suburbs and was wanting to do bullet casting or ingot casting session out in front of garage I just used a 1/2 sheet of 3/4 plywood on a pair of saw horses and kept another 1/2 sheet nearby to cover everything up with in case of rain or wanting to take a break from it without putting everything away.
    once I did my smokey fluxing and cleaning of sometimes very nasty raw alloys or even wheel weights with asphalt imbedded in it to make ingots I had more options where I could do bullet casting.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    The picture with the Coleman stove is from a couple months ago.

All the other pictures are from last night.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NICE!

Boolit Buddy
    I smelt on the back of a trailer in the driveway. I have a piece of Hardy board like you use under tile floor I lay down, it’s fire proof and keeps the ingots from charring the trailer deck. The driveway slopes down so I use the trailer jack to level it out.

Tried to upload photo from my phone..

I just bought a cube van and guess what? I’m setting it up as a mobile work station/casting pod! It’s 14’x8’ of dry insulated space that I can just turn a key and drive and also because it’s a white commercial van, it’s practically invisible in the street. People don’t think twice about a moving van parked for long time, where an RV would stick out like a sore thumb. Just a thought. It was 1000$

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    We don't like to let the people driving think by that someone owns guns here, HOWEVER, most common criminals don't have the foggiest idea what a bullet casting setup even looks like, much less the ability to make the mental jump to connect them, I am guessing.
    Got it. I also seem to have read that you were renting and that can change things too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Got it. I also seem to have read that you were renting and that can change things too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A143EE6-C976-4E99-8DE8-1970429141D1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	287113

Here’s my new casting shed. Insulated, 112sq/ft invisible commercial duty dry and covert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A143EE6-C976-4E99-8DE8-1970429141D1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	287113

Here’s my new casting shed. Insulated, 112sq/ft invisible commercial duty dry and covert
    I like your way of thinking. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12