RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dadgummit, no place to cast

Dadgummit, no place to cast

Divorce causes many things, one being I moved out into a place with no place to cast. My Lee pot sits cold and alone in a box, because last time I checked it's kinda dumb to fire it up inside a house. The person I am renting a room from is open to building something in the yard to use for casting/reloading/etc. What recommendations do you have for a spot? She was thinking using cement tiles rather than pour a pad in place, and I don't know enough about that to say yay or nay. Thoughts?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Sounds like you need a folding workbench.
    Less than 50$ from the harbor freight. Sturdy enough to jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    As long as the weather is good, casting outside is what I prefer. A pad made out of the cement tiles you mentioned would be a plus. You probably should put some sort of a barrier down first, to keep grass from growing up between them.

Pick your spot, get that HF little bench, a 10x10 sun shade, extension chord, and Git-R-Done.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Sounds like a plan right there.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A good point not to forget the sun shade.

Boolit Master
    Az City? I'd get shade first Grew up in Phx and won't ever live there again

I'd go with the tiles too. Soak the area with some bug stuff, the carpenter ant termite mix. Use a lot and just let it soak in. Then put in a good weed barrier, sand layer, a bit more bug stuff (can you tell I hate bugs ), and then the tiles. If you take the time to make it large enough and level then putting up a shelter is easier.

Since air conditioning is out then just shade will work. I'd also put up some shade on the west side There are some cloth shade awnings made that work really nice. You can crank them up when not needed. I have two on the patio and they have survived winds that have taken shingles off the roof.

Any place you can put down a half sheet of plywood will work.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    A shed on skids that can hold all your gear and can be moved if you need to.

Boolit Master
    The best weed barrier is to use old carpet underlay. Works under decorative crushed rock areas way better than that black cloth stuff sold for the purpose.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Any place that provides shade and a solid place to stand a bench, table, etc. on. I have cast sinkers sitting on a concrete driveway and in the dirt in the back yard sitting on a stump. I prefer to cast where neighbors won't see me.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

If you are going to move it in & out, just get a folding workmate, throw some alum foil over it & put the pot down & start casting. It doesnt take a lot of room. A wooden potting bench works too, doesnt look terrible in the yard & you just need a plug.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Az City? I'd get shade first Grew up in Phx and won't ever live there again

I'd go with the tiles too. Soak the area with some bug stuff, the carpenter ant termite mix. Use a lot and just let it soak in. Then put in a good weed barrier, sand layer, a bit more bug stuff (can you tell I hate bugs ), and then the tiles. If you take the time to make it large enough and level then putting up a shelter is easier.

Since air conditioning is out then just shade will work. I'd also put up some shade on the west side There are some cloth shade awnings made that work really nice. You can crank them up when not needed. I have two on the patio and they have survived winds that have taken shingles off the roof.
    Just moved to Casa Grande, but not that far away from that little dumphole of a town. I will look into that. There are plenty of ant nests around, too - red ants.

Boolit Master
    Out in the boonies or in town? If I had to live in the valley area I'd get closer to Tucson. But, jobs tend to dictate location.

Ants, yep. They are hard to get rid of completely, but, Amdro granules seem to work best on them for me. There are others that work, just pick one.

I'd just hate to cast bullets outside in that entire corridor. I'd probably wait until Nov and then start casting non-stop until March.

Is your name from Army life?

Boolit Master
    I remember a time when I figured out bathroom had the best ventilation. I think it was raining with nothing else to do. I put plywood across the tub, put the Lee 4-20 on that, sat on the toilet lid and cast away.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Out in the boonies or in town? If I had to live in the valley area I'd get closer to Tucson. But, jobs tend to dictate location.

Ants, yep. They are hard to get rid of completely, but, Amdro granules seem to work best on them for me. There are others that work, just pick one.

I'd just hate to cast bullets outside in that entire corridor. I'd probably wait until Nov and then start casting non-stop until March.

Is your name from Army life?
    No, did armored trucking for 8.5 years, just kind of stuck. Was Navy way back in the day. Sort of in town, but nice large lot, back yard I can set up in. I'll look for those granules - the ants are a pain. I agree - casting out front where passers by can see it, not a real good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I remember a time when I figured out bathroom had the best ventilation. I think it was raining with nothing else to do. I put plywood across the tub, put the Lee 4-20 on that, sat on the toilet lid and cast away.
    I think the person that owns the house might REALLY flip out...but what an interesting idea.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    No, did armored trucking for 8.5 years, just kind of stuck. Was Navy way back in the day. Sort of in town, but nice large lot, back yard I can set up in. I'll look for those granules - the ants are a pain. I agree - casting out front where passers by can see it, not a real good idea.
    Makes sense. I was in tanks many years ago. Wife's dad was Navy, diesel subs. Son was Coast Guard.

The first casting I did with a friend many decades ago was in an apartment in Germany. We put a thin sheet of ply on the oven and turned on the hood fan. Would not do that again Bathroom sounds like a workaround....if there is no one to yell at you for it

Boolit Grand Master

One good place indoors and what I did a few times is on top of the kitchen stove. Range hood/vent provides good ventilation and there's nothing to burn. Small spills are eazy to clean off the porcelain. Of corse I was done and cleaned up before Ma got home...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Two or three old cookie sheets or other flat metal pans on top of stove protects it and makes clean up a breeze ... Vented exhaust hood with light is great , open a window and you have good ventilation .
    If it's ok with LOH (lady of the house) .
    Lee Hand Press and small folding table ... I been reloading all my handgun and cast rifle ammo with this set up for the last 5 years ... beats sitting out in the hot humidity of my un a/c reloading building Seven Ways To Sunday .
    Keep reloading stuff in a Gym bag , folding table behind door ...
    Get creative ... where there's a will ... there's a way ... think about it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast