Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45acp heavy loads... Worth it?

Boolit Master

.45acp heavy loads... Worth it?

I've got a 454190 that I really want to try in a 1911, but it's dropping a grain or two over 250. I know this mold is better suited to .45 Colt, and I have a Ruger Vaquero 7" I'll load it for.

But is it worth trying to load it for .45acp? Load data is harder to find in those weights, and I worry about seating depth with heavy slugs like this one.

Thoughts? Successful loads? Should I even bother?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Make some fresh dud Cartridges (5 is a good number) (no primer no powder) that will fit flush into the barrel when it is removed from the gun.

Turn the barrel off upside down, and gravity should pull ( the loaded cartridge assembly) back out Barrel Hood/chamber.
    Should drop freely. This is your maximum overall length for chambering the plunk test cuz you just plunk em in and plunk em out.

If these duds Feed from the magazine then assemble the gun and Cycle of the Duds again and make sure they don't hang up when manually operated.

I've done a ton of 9 mm single stage. I have never loaded 45 to save my life. I expect it would be the same thing. If I'm very wrong I'm sorry.

Begin at the starting load with a gun powder that is slow for caliber and work your way up, until the group's open up then back off, confirm no leading and confirm accuracy, make sure the recall operations function correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

255gr LSWC works great in 45 ACP for bowling pins and as a hunting load, throated barrels feed these slicker than snot on a glass door knob.

The 454190 has a long front profile, it may seat too far down in the case once it is seated enough to cycle through the magazine for use in an autoloader. You could use it in a 45 ACP revolver without issue, IF you can come up with some load data for it.

These are just my first thoughts about that boolit in a 1911, I could be mitsaken
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    So other than COAL problems with throat size and magazine size, potential pressure issues from seating too deeply, potential cycle issues from too heavy a spring for a low pressure load, it's a piece of cake?

Meh, I may just pick up something rnfp in 230gr.

Boolit Master

ryanmattes:
    Go to the "Advanced Search" and check out, "Heavy bullets in 45acp". You will get all the I information you want. Speer manuals #12 and #13 both have load data for the Speer 260 grain jacketed hp. The Lee 452-255 mould, casts a very good heavy slug that works very well. I have tried this lee slug using the Speer 260 grain jhp data. It worked very well. Also, I have some 260 grain cast bullets I traded for years ago. These are two groove bullets, with a .250 meplat, made for the 45 Colt. 9nTheir length is .700. So when seated for the taper crimp the come middle way up the first driving band, there is .375 of the bullet seated in the case. This gives a COAL of 1.235. With 6.0 grains of Herco, i've chronographed this load at 875 fps average of 10 shots. This load works fine in my firearm. I'm not recommending it in any other. As to you're question, "Worth it?" You will have to answer that for yourself.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    What is more of a concern, is hot loads. i cracked the frame on one on my 1911's from a steady diet of Jeff Cooper level loads. The gun is still fully functional, and a police armorer said it would be good for another 100,000 rounds or so. Heavy loads now get fed to a Hi Point I don't mind sacrificing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Some folks do it, I would not. The 1911 pistol is a marvelous thing, a symphony in steel where parts move in a certain order at a certain speed and it all comes together in a wonderful way. We have so many great 230 +- grains bullet molds available today, I can't fathom the reason to step back in history with an antiquated 45 Colt designed bullet. Your pistol, your choice!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I loaded some Lee 255gr in my 45acp. They actually come closer to 260gr. Run them about 800fps, shoot fine I just see no point. The old Speer manual had 260gr data so not off the wall.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I really don't see a reason to do it, and see good reasons not to.

The seating depth and pressure concerns are valid - this is where blown out case webs in the 1911's unsupported chamber can come from.

There are any number of 230 grain LFN type bullets along the lines of the LBT 452-230 that can penetrate wonderfully and will transfer a good amount of energy into a milk jug or bowling pin if that's what makes you giggle - and they're made to run in the platform.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    It should work fine. Back off on the powder. I have a 452460 200 grain that had ugly ends. I took it to a machine shop and had it punched out but left it the same nose <overall>length and turned it into a 255 grain. I ended up with 4.2 grains of American Select seated like a 452460 and a 18 pound spring. It barely clears the slide stop and shoots about 3'' high at 25 yards but groups good. I haven't tried it in a L.C. but it should work. The mold was screwed to start with so I didn't have much to loose and it worked. Heavy boolits kick more.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 08-03-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    The people who want to shoot heavier than normal bullets can justify it due to their desire to do so and the ones who don't want to can justify their claims too.
    Just depends on what camp you choose to be in.
    I have straddled the dividing line between both camps.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Some folks do it, I would not. The 1911 pistol is a marvelous thing, a symphony in steel where parts move in a certain order at a certain speed and it all comes together in a wonderful way. We have so many great 230 +- grains bullet molds available today, I can't fathom the reason to step back in history with an antiquated 45 Colt designed bullet. Your pistol, your choice!

Eloquently put.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't load 250 gran boolits in a 1911 . The pistol is designed around 230 gr. and seems to work best at that weight . A lot goes on with a 1911 and when boolits get too heavy or too light things just don't work right . My experience has shown that 200 to 230 grain boolits work best .
    The unsupported case area under the feed ramp is also a real consideration .
    Now ... In a Ruger Blackhawk , single action revolver ... that's a whole other story .
    I have loaded 240 grain cast SWC's in 45 acp for the Blackhawk and they work just fine .
    I use powders on the faster side because with the heavy SWC you have a limited powder capacity in the 45 acp case ... there is data in Lyman Cast Bullet 3rd edition under 45 auto-rim , with Bullseye , Red Dot and Unique ...these loads work like a charm !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    As has been stated: it can work fine with no problems, it can cause problems.

My self, as I get older and more experienced, I tend to stay with original level or lower loads for most calibers. With the .45 ACP I have standardized my own usage with the Lyman 452460, a nominal 200 grain SWC. Simply because it uses less lead than a 230, and does what I want a .45 to do these days.

If you need more power, get a bigger gun.

Robert

Boolit Master
    "If you need more power, get a bigger gun", Amen!

Boolit Master
    When shooting bowling pins, I loaded 255 gr. Speer LSWCs, using data from a Speer Manual, for their 260 gr. JHP(JSP?) in .45 ACP. I used Unique or Herco, and began with starting loads, working up by 0.1 gr. until I obtained reliable ejection. I went 0.1 gr. higher for insurance (but was still 0.5 gr. or more under max.), and stopped experimenting.
    I develpped these loads before I owned a chronograph, but I'm sure they were pushing the 255s over 700 f/s, and probably over 750 f/s. I doubt that velocities exceeded or even approached 800 f/s. The load was controllable, and VERY effective on bowling pins. With a hit slightly lower than center, it was common for the pins to take flight off the table, rather than being merely "shoved" across the table surface, off the edge.
    When I quit shooting bowling pins, I quit using those loads, but the pistol I used then is STILL shooting now, with no signs of excessive wear or damage. I know that I put at least 700 such loads through the pistol, and probably closer to 1000.
    There's nothing "EVIL" about running bullets weighing more than 230 grains through the 1911A1 platform at moderate velocities, but doing so is best suited to particular uses. For bowling pins, or defense in bear country when a .45 is your only (or heaviest) sidearm, pushing heavy bullets at the highest velocities at which control can be maintained, make a certain amount of sense. There may be other situations in which this makes sense, but I've listed the two that come to mind most quickly.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Well, I'm not doing any of that.i just had a mold, wondered if I could load it for .45aavp, and couldn't find data. I was pretty sure people had loaded it before, but wasn't sure just how risky it was.its not worth the trouble, since I'm just making plinking ammo. I'm not in bear country and don't compete or shoot pins.

But I'll keep an eye out for a 452190 to load this profile for .45acp.

I read about loading 300 gr flat nose boat tail jacketed bullets( custom made) in the .45 ACP a few years ago. Not for me- I did the Speer 260gr fling long ago. I like 200gr swc and 230gr truncated cone only now- unless someone gives me factory hardball ammo.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Sure, it works great. 250-260 grains isn't a huge jump over a standard weight bullet. It's no more a bad idea than using a 185 grain. You have to understand the limits of your gun if you want to shoot a lot of them, but you'll never convince me a 255 gr at 750 fps is any worse for a 1911 than a 230 gr at 850 fps. If you want to push to max or even +P loads, that's great too. I even shoot them in my aluminum framed P220, I just don't shoot a lot of them. I shoot the Lee 252gr SWC at around 850 fps with 8.5 gr of Bluedot at 1.210" OAL. Is it a big difference over a 230gr at a little higher velocity? Probably not, but there's not a huge selection of wide blunt nosed bullets like there are 250-260 gr.

Boolit Master

Lately I've only cast 200 gr. H&G 68 from a MP 4 cavity mold. I'm considering casting some 230 Arsenal WFN. I like the larger meplat on the Arsenal mold. The 200 gr shoot great. I haven't checked them across the chrono but doubt that they exceed 800fps. I haven't looked up loads for the 230 gr boolit but it shouldn't be hard to find several that would work. Here is a link to the Arsenal site:
    http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?ro...product_id=212
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast